Over 45 and clubbing; what to wear?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Farmgate, Mar 1, 2011.

1. DLester

DLester Senior member

I am over 45 and look about 39, slim and fit, and will be clubbing in NYC, Toronto and other cities this spring and summer. As much as I like stylish clothing for clubs, I am aftraid I will look like "that guy" who just couldn't let go...

Go with a group of people about your age and don't bother the kids at the club.

2. Stylin-1

Stylin-1 Senior member

I am over 45 and look about 39, slim and fit, and will be clubbing in NYC, Toronto and other cities this spring and summer. As much as I like stylish clothing for clubs, I am aftraid I will look like "that guy" who just couldn't let go... I saw them all the time in the mid-seventies, when I was young: the long sideburns, the Beatle hair and bell bottom dress pants. Anyway I don't want to be that guy. I was thinking that a real slim and fitted suit, and impecable shirt of neon green or yellow, and a tie would look better than jeans and a button down. That would be stylish without appearing to be an under cover agent. The clubs play mostly hip hop, techno.
    So wait, you were clubbing in the mid 70's? So just how much over 45 are we talking here?

3. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

lol nothing kills my high at a club faster than seeing some old guy :/

4. Stylin-1

Stylin-1 Senior member

5. SpallaCamiccia

SpallaCamiccia Senior member

6. Matt

Matt [email protected]

so when I was like 18, I used to look across the clubs and these guys and say to my friends "check that dude out, fuuuck, he's like thiiiiiirty or something. Shouldn't he be home with his fat wife and nine kids by now?"

now I'm thirty five. I look across the clubs and say "this whole place is full of fucking kids. school get out or some shit?"

Of course, those kids are all looking at me saying "check that dude out, fuuuck, he's like thiiiiiirty or something. Shouldn't he be home with his fat wife and nine kids by now?"

7. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

You guys know one day we will all be this guy sooner or later, just hope we don't post about it on some forum though...45? Jesus

I say keep it classy forget this techno clubbing shit (wayyyyy past acceptable age) and go to a salsa/merengue club

8. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Senior member

so when I was like 18, I used to look across the clubs and these guys and say to my friends "check that dude out, fuuuck, he's like thiiiiiirty or something. Shouldn't he be home with his fat wife and nine kids by now?"

now I'm thirty five. I look across the clubs and say "this whole place is full of fucking kids. school get out or some shit?"

Of course, those kids are all looking at me saying "check that dude out, fuuuck, he's like thiiiiiirty or something. Shouldn't he be home with his fat wife and nine kids by now?"

they wont say that if youre in vip popping bubbly with a gang of broads. which is the only thing that should be happening if youre that old in a club.

9. Matt

Matt [email protected]

then they say it more. Cos theyre the same age as the broads who are ignoring them....

10. Stylin-1

Stylin-1 Senior member

What? 45. That's creepy

I wouldn't say it's creepy. I mean he didn't start a thread saying he was going to a middle school dance with a bottle of grey goose in his coat.

11. cold war painter

cold war painter Senior member

Over 45 and clubbing; what to wear?

Implantable defibrillator.

12. NameBack

NameBack Senior member

"Clubbing" at 45+ is mostly creeper status

Note that "clubbing" is not the same thing as "ending up at a club."

If you've got some younger friends/co-workers and they want to go out to a club, and you want to socialize, that's fine. But if so, honestly my advice is to dress your age. Much better to not look like you're an old dude trying to go hard with the youngsters -- just be like "yeah I'm 47, fuck of it? My social life was never murdered by a baby."

I suppose in general I'd stay away from ravey/dance-heavy/standing-room-only sort of clubs, stick to a place where you can grab a seat with your friends, dress age-appropriate, and dress more casual than not (not lazy, but casual).

My dad sort of falls into this category -- he's 55 but his employees are mostly 20s-30s, and he has a wide range of friends from 24-65. He does end up at clubs but he doesn't try to dance, his first choices for social outings are more age-appropriate, and he generally looks like he doesn't give a fuck. He is not someone who would ever purposefully attempt to go "clubbing."

But even then dude's still sort of creeper-status and bangs a lot of 20-somethings with daddy issues, so I don't know if you can get any better than ~20% on the creep-ometer

13. Reginald Bartholomew

Reginald Bartholomew Senior member

You're 45 and clubbing lol. I'm 17 and already sniffing blow, I tell my friends it's asthma every time I itch my throat.

I'm bad milk. Drink it.

14. BB1

BB1 Senior member

"socially appropriate", "age appropriate", blah blah blah. If you guys are so concerned about conforming, perhaps you should start by buying a Filson bag, raw selvedge denim, and some GATs. You'll fit right in around here.

15. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Or better yet, buy some fucking $200 sweatpants.