OVADIA & SONS SPRING 2012 (updated with more photos)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by shoreman1782, Jul 20, 2011.

1. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Words and photos by Pete Anderson

[​IMG]
    Hat not (yet) available.

Most upstart clothing brands take it slow. Print a tshirt; offer some custom accessories; then maybe add items piece by piece until you have a full collection. It gives you time to test the market, hone your design, and coordinate production, any one of which can be a full-time job for one man. At least Ovadia & Sons has two men, because last year they debuted a nearly-from-scratch, full collection of menswear, and the line has gotten stronger every season since.

[​IMG]

Ariel and Shimon Ovadia are Brooklyn born and raised, but unlike your (perceived) average Breuckelen-ite today if either were to wear a fedora it would be without irony. (Note: hipster-bashing is a victimless crime; no one is willing to self-identify as such in order to take offense.) Their Capsule show collection used some classic hats as props, although they’re not quite ready to offer them in the line. Instead they have white cashmere dinner jackets, khaki twill norfolks, and all the idiosyncratic accoutrements that make up a course in advanced dressing.

[​IMG]
    More monk than a tonsure.

UK-made kiltie bluchers in suede and the requisite double monks serve as the foundation of spring footwear while trousers are available in emerald green twill and other tones. Ovadia’s shirts on display mixed horizontal stripes and Prince-of-Wales fabrics and spread and cutaway collars.

The Ovadias offer sportswear as well, and although the prep-with-a-wink look may not be new, the line freshens it up a bit with paint-spattered seersucker cutoffs and cotton henleys. The brothers Ovadia are probably their own best ad, dressed in cleanly tailored trousers and pressed shirts or weekend chambray (no work required) and sailor’s stripes. The line presented a marked difference from most of the brands showing at Capsule, signaling a crisper vision of men’s contemporary clothing. Consistent with seasons past, there were strong denim, heritage, and mil-spec brands at the show, but Ovadia and Sons seemed to have captured the dandy moment. Stay tuned for more on Ovadia on the Front Page in the near future.

You can shop for Ovadia & Sons in their online store.

[​IMG]
    Nuclear slub.

[​IMG]

Photo by Jonathan Moy.

[​IMG]
    Trou. Photo by Jonathan Moy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sportswear. Photo by Jonathan Moy.

[​IMG]
    Not kiltie, y'all got to feel me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pleat-y uomo.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

2. Jamesgatz

Jamesgatz Senior member

Interesting. Thanks.

3. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

They have really great stuff. Thanks for this.

4. dibango

dibango Senior member

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012

5. tonio028

tonio028 Senior member

I like what I've seen from this brand, but am confused about their shirt sizing. Does anyone have any experience with the shirts? I'm a small (US 14.5) generally across all brands and measurements I've seen make it seem I'd actually take an XS, but that goes against my better judgement. Anyone?

6. captainfunk

captainfunk Senior member

I'm a 41-42, typical Large and their Large is the best fitting shirt I own. It's pretty tts, and fitted but not anorexic.

7. tonio028

tonio028 Senior member

Thanks for the scoop. I heard they were just that, slim not skinny which is why sometimes you can't trust measurements. They have higher armholes and great materials from what I've read. Not sure what buttons they use, MoP or pearl?

8. captainfunk

captainfunk Senior member

MoP buttons, and they are extremely thick— a really nice detail.

9. homefloyd

homefloyd Well-Known Member

Yeah, I would suggest sizing down with their shirts. I ordered a 15 in their Madison cut and it was pretty huge, had to return it because the collar was so big. I wear a small in pretty much every label I've tried, and it's a fairly long list.

10. alwaysraw

alwaysraw Senior member

Nice fabric and nice guys too! I hope this brand continues to grow.