• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outstanding service at the Ralph Lauren store in Chicago

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a great experience at the Ralph Lauren store in Chicago last week... For some reason, I find this company doesn't get enough love here (on both the Men's Clothing and SW&D forums). I know it has to do with the perceived inconsistency of quality both within their various lines and the plethora of lines the company offers, but I find they do a lot of things great (casual sport shirts, chinos, suits and blazers, RRL denim, wool/cashmere sweaters, RL-branded C&J shoes, etc). In addition, their stores tend to be awesome with great sales associates and managers. However, this Chicago experience was over the top...

I'm in Chicago for the weekend for a wedding... I have my suit, shoes, etc, but stupidly forget a shirt and tie. I have a free afternoon to go buy a shirt and tie. I stop by Brooks Brothers, get decent service and see decent shirts. I buy one shirt and tie there. I then stop by the dress shirt section of the huge RL store. The sales associate (Jordan) helped me out, finding much better looking shirt and tie combinations. I decide to go with a blue check shirt and a navy knit tie to go with my navy suit, and I also pick up three other shirts and also pick up a pocket square. All the items were included in the 25% off sale RL currently has.

Here's the kicker - the SA had the guy upstairs steam the blue check shirt for free so it was all ready for the wedding. I was given the shirt in a RL dry cleaning bag. Then, the guy gets me a table at the "RL" restaurant next door to the store (cheesy concept for Ralph Lauren to operate the store, but the food is good and the restaurant is well regarded) for lunch. Excellent meal (the restaurant has the same feel as the stores, lots of aged leather, vintage phoots, etc).. At the wedding, the suit/tie/pocket square combo got lots of postitive comments. I ended up returning my Brooks Brothers purchases unworn.

There is a lot of Ralph Lauren does right as a company - the in store experience is one of them.

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife ate there when she was in Chicago and really liked it. Kind of 60s retro: table-side Steak Diane, etc. as I recall. I think Despos eats there regularly as well.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had a great experience at the Ralph Lauren store in Chicago last week... For some reason, I find this company doesn't get enough love here (on both the Men's Clothing and SW&D forums). I know it has to do with the perceived inconsistency of quality both within their various lines and the plethora of lines the company offers, but I find they do a lot of things great (casual sport shirts, chinos, suits and blazers, RRL denim, wool/cashmere sweaters, RL-branded C&J shoes, etc). In addition, their stores tend to be awesome with great sales associates and managers. However, this Chicago experience was over the top...
I'm in Chicago for the weekend for a wedding... I have my suit, shoes, etc, but stupidly forget a shirt and tie. I have a free afternoon to go buy a shirt and tie. I stop by Brooks Brothers, get decent service and see decent shirts. I buy one shirt and tie there. I then stop by the dress shirt section of the huge RL store. The sales associate (Jordan) helped me out, finding much better looking shirt and tie combinations. I decide to go with a blue check shirt and a navy knit tie to go with my navy suit, and I also pick up three other shirts and also pick up a pocket square. All the items were included in the 25% off sale RL currently has.
Here's the kicker - the SA had the guy upstairs steam the blue check shirt for free so it was all ready for the wedding. I was given the shirt in a RL dry cleaning bag. Then, the guy gets me a table at the "RL" restaurant next door to the store (cheesy concept for Ralph Lauren to operate the store, but the food is good and the restaurant is well regarded) for lunch. Excellent meal (the restaurant has the same feel as the stores, lots of aged leather, vintage phoots, etc).. At the wedding, the suit/tie/pocket square combo got lots of postitive comments. I ended up returning my Brooks Brothers purchases unworn.
There is a lot of Ralph Lauren does right as a company - the in store experience is one of them.

Surely people would be commenting on the apparel of the bride not a mere guest? Methinks you exaggerate.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's a good store, and the RL store I frequent most. As with many places, they have had their ups and downs with service, but overall, in recent years in particular, they've been pretty good.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, your experience with BB. I was in Chicago just a couple of weeks ago (for a wedding) and needed a new tux shirt. I called BB (right next to my hotel) and they pulled exactly what I needed. Went the next day, they confirmed my measurements and then steamed the shirt (gratis) and gave it back to me in a dry cleaning bag. Overall I was very happy with the service.

mrbrioni

Reaction score
I live in Chicago, and couldn't agree more about the service.

In my opinion it is possibly the best service for a retail store in the Chicago area, although Paul Stuart on oak is a near tie.

Come back and visit again soon!

Vigilant

Reaction score
Agreed. these guys have assisted me with a numerous items and are very willing to make the customer happy. Definitely one of my favorite stores in Chicago despite the reputation it often gets as being "stuffy."

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Surely people would be commenting on the apparel of the bride not a mere guest? Methinks you exaggerate.

It is possible to complement more than one person in a single evening.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads