• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outlier Tailored Performance Clothing

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am in need of good black jeans and I think I might just get a black pair of the dunagree fabric pants.

Are they a "true black" color? Does the color fade?

einstine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You want black pants/jeans Outlier is not for you, there black is dark gray and just gray in sunlight.

HansPhonetic

Reaction score
I think the black dungarees are about as black as anybody could want, but I didn't keep/wear them long enough to notice any fade..

einstine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know people got pissed when they ordered them expecting regular black, so they changed it to flat black couple months back.

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You want black pants/jeans Outlier is not for you, there black is dark gray and just gray in sunlight.

Wait what.

ffffuuuu.gif

It seems that some pants are flat black, some are black?

Last edited:

transient

Reaction score
I don't know what einstine is talking about with "there black is dark gray"

I'd say black dungarees are matte black because they have a very slight sign of luster. They don't fade. They don't look like cotton pants/jeans. They'll look brand new after a wash.

*edit* Also, not to poo on this thread but can anyone comment on ProofNY Surface Pant vs Outlier OG pant. It seems that Surface Pant doesn't glisten as much as the OGs which would be desirable for me when I want to wear them in dressier situations.

Last edited:

einstine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know what einstine is talking about with "there black is dark gray"

I'd say black dungarees are matte black because they have a very slight sign of luster. They don't fade. They don't look like cotton pants/jeans. They'll look brand new after a wash.

*edit* Also, not to poo on this thread but can anyone comment on ProofNY Surface Pant vs Outlier OG pant. It seems that Surface Pant doesn't glisten as much as the OGs which would be desirable for me when I want to wear them in dressier situations.

Im so confused? You do not know what I am talking about but you stated the same thing I stated posts back. Then you write a illiterate sentence "They'll look brand new after a wash." You're not helping any one.

transient

Reaction score

Im so confused? You do not know what I am talking about but you stated the same thing I stated posts back. Then you write a illiterate sentence "They'll look brand new after a wash." You're not helping any one.

Happy new year.

brooks23

Reaction score

Surfaces compare more to 60/30's than OGs. Proof's Nomads are their comparable pants to OGs.

deadsunrise

Reaction score
@einstine, did you see the black lately? For me the black dungarees are Black, not dark gray or anything. My girlfriend has a pair and they blacker than the black OGs. They don't fade and are an excelent choice as an alternative to black denim, I'm thinking of getting a pair but since I have already 2 dungarees I'll probably get the climbers sizing up.

@suyi , I got the 4x4 scarf in green, it's ******* huge and a bit annoying to take off and put back. You kinda need a mirror to make it look ok. I've only wore it once and it wasn't too cold outside but it's so big that you can probably cover yourself nicely in a really cold day. Get one if you can find it, if not.. you could try to get some ribbed merino and make one yourself, it's just a square of fabric.

BTW, I'm going to sell two Merino/Co shirts (bluetint gray and strong blue S) , they used to fit perfectly but after machine washing (delicate, 30* cold cycle) they have shrank quite a bit. Now they have this note on the sizing section:

Quote:
Which I saw way too late. They were my favorite shirts ever but the sleeves are too short. I guess they are a bit bigger than XS, the sleeves an inch shorter than the normal S outlier shirts. I'm in europe so I'll try to sell them here first, if someone is interested, drop me a PM before I put the ad.

Anyone has the latest merino tshirts? I ordered 4 a couple days ago but it will take a while to receive them, I'm tired on getting holes in my icebreaker's 150 tech t-lite and outlier's look more durable.

I also ordered a second pair of the linen shorts. I got a pair for christmas and they are ******* awesome to lounge at home so I got a second pair before they run out.

Last edited:

deadsunrise

Reaction score
****, I was looking for the order numbers to send them an email about the merino/co shirts and just realized that I've spent $3458 in outlier clothing only in 2013. I've been wearing some outlier stuff every single day in 2013.

The list, if someone wants a review/pics of something just ask:

Pants
  • 2x slim dungarees (indigo, zinc)
  • 2x three-way-shorts (green, purp)
  • 2x New OGs (concrete, black)
  • 1x Ultralight pants (grey)
  • 1x Nyco (olive)
  • 2x linen shorts (grey, pop blue)
  • Ladies dungarees and riding pants for my GF (black and charcoal)

All of them in size 31, My favorite ones are the dungarees, the cut and fabric is perfect. The OG's are a bit too.. conservative? maybe I should taper them. The ultralights are life-savers in summer but they have pilled a bit after only one summer. I don't wear the Nycos because I'm spoiled by the strechy fabrics, also, they fit small. The three-way-shorts are awesome and I used them every single day in summer, swiming pool, beach, everywhere.. The linen shorts are great for lounging at home. My girlfriend is also really happy with both of her pants but the sizing is way off (both size 2 but the dungarees are way bigger)

Tops
  • 1x Short sleeve Cali shirt (pink)
  • 1x Short sleeve tack shirt (light blue)
  • 2x merino/co shirts (bluetint gray, strong blue.)
  • 1x Pivot shirt ( returned it for the tack shirt)
  • 3x merino t-shirt ( black, strong blue, olive )
  • 1x merino V-neck (dark grey)

They make awesome pants but should work more on the shirts, they have been really inconsistent this year, had to return one and the sizing was awkward in the short sleeve pivots. The Merino/Co ones are the best shirts ever but the shrinking fucked me. I haven't received the merino t-shirts yet so I cannot comment on those.

Accesories
  • 1x supermarine shoes (black)
  • 1x linen towel L (gray)
  • 4x socks
  • 1x merino scarf (green)

Wearing the supermarines right now. They look good, are comfortable and make me taller but have construction issues on the side band, they also get lint and cat hair like crazy. The socks are amazing, best ones I've ever used and miles away from smartwool or icebreaker offers. The linen towel is nice to travel because it packs light but it's not too absorbent, the merino scarf is great, maybe a bit too big, they should have gone with 3x3.

Overall, I'm really happy with everything I have from them. Over the last three years I've converted all my wardrobe to outlier, icebreaker and stone island and it's been a great investment. The comfort and protection (heat/water) of tech fabrics are worth it even if they are expensive as ****. I need some more shirts and some climbers but I'm pretty content with what I have now.

Last edited:

rxryan

Reaction score
@deadsunrise

Good post, man. Appreciate all of that even though I am in the same boat in terms of spending many $K's on Outlier this past year and already have a clear idea on basically all their items. I have also done a complete closet overhaul and donated/sold almost everything I previously had and switched almost exclusively to Outlier with a few other offerings mixed in. It's a double-edged sword for sure. Pricey and hard to wear anything of lesser quality or technical degree.

Some of my favorite items from the past year include: air-forged shirt (their limited run first go of it back in the spring?), air-forged vest w/ primaloft, merino/co, merino tees (much better than my now hole-y icebreaker junk), grid linen shorts, grid linen towels, heavy merino (unworn still, but honestly one of the nicest pieces I've purchased from them... the ripstop merino is ridiculously cool and nice and hoping for more experiments with this material), and the henleys. Initially, I was kinda off on the henleys (and I actually prefer TAD's), but the ribbed merino is good because it's tight at first after a wash, but loosens to a "normal" fit after a few hours. Also, it stretches to wear over other shirts if desired. Good stuff all around, minus the merino hoodie. Honestly hated it. Loose flap behind zipper, extremely long torso b/c of drop-hem, and just generally thought there are better offers out there.

I'll wrap this up with things I missed out on and hope to see come around again: scarves (but hopefully a bit smaller as echoed by others here), liberated hoodie (technically from last year, but hey whatever... sidenote: picked up Aether's Pinnacle, same concept and base material and it's cool, but I don't know if I'll keep it because of the arm pocket), and 4-season freeshell (woolback or not). I did just order a MW Zurich so I'll see how that Schoeller light merino-backed shell is. It looks rather uninspired and boring, but I just wanted a light go everywhere jacket to go alongside my softcore jacket, liberated peacoat, and supermarine shell. I also want an OG Blazer, but the one I ordered wasnt quite as trim as I'd like. Maybe future iterations will be shorter and a little slimmer through the stomach.

centrix

Reaction score
i am thinking of investing into the outlier pant thing with 1 for me and 1 for my gf, if there is a pair you would reccomend for men and women (doesn't have to be the same style) which one would you recommend and why? thanks

rxryan

Reaction score
Quote:
Depends on what you want in terms of intended use, fit, and other characteristics like stretch or durability. I think slim dungarees or OG's are the best entry to Outlier. I know people tend to side with the slims, but I still think the OG's are the best first item for the non-initiated. Durable enough, stretchy (super comfy), and can be used in wide array of situations. Just my opinion. Love my slims as well and giving the 60/30's another shot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads