1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Outlier Tailored Performance Clothing

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Roguls, Jan 15, 2011.

1. abunny

abunny Member

Just save yourself the hassle and get the dungarees. My climbers don't pill but the 4-way seam at the crotch is literally a pain in the dick when combined with the kinda-abrasive inner face. As much as I like Outlier's ethos, the only pants worth snagging are the slim dungs and 60/30's (haven't tried futureworks though).

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  2. delluminatus

delluminatus Well-Known Member

I have had problems with pilling and snags on my Climbers as well. I wore them on a camping trip and now they have little snags from tree branches or whatever. Really, all my Outlier pants seem pretty fragile, even compared to denim. But I guess that's the price of lightness and freedom of movement.

On a brighter note, I was very impressed with the ultralight's water resistance. I had to catch the bus in the rain yesterday and they actually kept my legs completely dry. But it's the Futureworks that are really growing on me. They might be my favorite pair of pants atm.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  3. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

My climbers haven't pilled but I have one weird thread spot--it looks like there's a piece of white thread stitched in near my knee, I don't know what happened there--and I'm not tearing through the woods with them, I'm just working around slightly less snaggy stuff--concrete, carpet, some metal. I have an old model, which has a lot more rise than the current models, so I have not had any "pain in the dick." In fact they're really comfortable.

4. yehgermeister

yehgermeister New Member

anyone have the outlier slim dungarees keirin cut in navy sz. 31?

5. joshualim90

joshualim90 Active Member

There is a huge difference in water repellency when it comes to outlier's various fabrics even though all are 'NanoSphere'ed.

Climbers continue to repel water after 1 year of consistent wear, slim dungs won't even repel 1 drop after 3 months.

I machine wash both pairs cold, dry flat and tumble dry to restore the treatment. Out of the dryer fresh, the slim dungs still don't repel water.

6. deadsunrise

deadsunrise Well-Known Member

my indigo dungarees didn't repel water after a year and a half, I used to always hang dry but after this test I now put them in the drier straight from the washing machine. I put a couple of dungarees and they are dry in about 15 minutes.

I wear them almost daily so they have more than 300 wears. After I started putting them in the drier they improved a lot: Sorry for the shitty video

Last edited: May 21, 2014
    2 people like this.
  7. Wally

Wally Senior member

Does anyone have experience with sizing up and tailoring the waist to make the thighs fit? I foolishly I missed out on the keirin cuts, which I think would have been perfect. I just picked up a 60/30 chino in size 32 and while the waist is perfect, the thighs are skin tight and look a bit silly. My actual waist is 33", thighs 24-24.5".
    And if anyone has any keirin cuts to sell hit me up!

8. eloq

eloq Well-Known Member

hey, if anyone has the hypercity international backpacks, lemme know
    will pay well. :slayer:

9. brooks23

brooks23 Senior member

I wanted to follow up on the pair I ordered for anyone interested.

I had some buyers remorse while I was waiting on them to arrive and wasn't even considering keeping them when the package arrived, but as it turns out, after wearing them a few times over the last week, I really like them.

I think they looked a little more dad jean'ish on the site because, as usual, they use dudes that are like 5'9" as their models and everything looks stubby. Given they are more of a slim straight fit than tapered (I'd still say there is some taper), they look pretty slim on me (6'4"). The fabric is a little rigid, but it's a nice medium weight and it stacks pretty nicely. I'm assuming it will break in somewhat, but it feels really durable for not being super heavy -- which I guess is the idea when you're using Cordura. There's just enough stretch to make them not feel as constricting as 100% cotton jeans.

My only complaint is the waist fits a bit loose compared to their Nomads, but it's not a big deal. As much as I love my slim dungarees, sometimes I miss the texture and weight of denim but I've never really been in to the whole raw denim thing, so these ended up fitting the bill. I'm really happy with them for $125. At $225, it'd be a little harder to justify. That said, it's nice to see Proof making an effort to do their own thing and maybe get out of being seen as an Outlier clone.

10. blynch

blynch Senior member

11. joshualim90

joshualim90 Active Member

So I should skip the hang dry part and move straight from the washer to the dryer?

Hope it will work for me!

12. velobran

velobran Senior member

Again, I know this is the Outlier thread - but for the love of all things tech-wear, Huckberry has Proof NY Nomad pants and 9" shorts deeply discounted and the sizing is now very limited. I managed to get a pair of shorts in my size. I'll be comparing them to my 3-ways.

https://secure.huckberry.com/store/spring-essentials

1 person likes this.
  13. SuEd

SuEd Senior member

There is a Technical Clothing thread and a Proof NY thread. You don't help Proof NY not be seen as an Outlier clone by only posting news about them in the Outlier thread...

14. Exdeath

Exdeath Senior member

Anyone else an Outlier sock devotee? I know they're kind of plain but honestly I think they're one of the best products they make.

15. aeymxq

aeymxq Active Member

does anyone know why outlier only did one run of their merino pullover? it seems like the kind of functional, basic garment they would add to their permanent lineup.

16. spencers

spencers Senior member

Wish they had some actual pictures of the bluetint grey Dungarees

17. Widgets

Widgets Member

I'll post some on here for you, if I remember, on Tuesday.

18. Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri Senior member

How long do you guys wear your Schoeller Dryskin pants before you wash them?

19. brooks23

brooks23 Senior member

They have some up now. I guess when they started offering the long inseam ones, they added a new pic.

20. brianhylton

brianhylton Member

the color is awesome, just do it.