• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outlier Tailored Performance Clothing

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I noticed on the merino shirts restock they changed the chest measurement of a Large from 40" to 42". Mediums are now 40".. I got three pairs of the old ones coming and got a Large, I'm about a 40" chest and I was wondering maybe I should have gotten medium..

brooks23

Reaction score
Can't stand when they change measurements from iteration to iteration and don't bother to mention it. And they do it a lot.

I can understand expecting customers to check from year to year, but changing the pattern when they're restocking something they released 2 months ago seems a little stupid.

But for what it's worth, I got a large from the first run and it fits me and my 40" chest fine. It's my first Outlier button up so nothing to compare it to, but I usually have to size down in other shirts to get this fit.

Last edited:

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone know if the 3 way trunks stretch / bag out a bunch?

brooks23

Reaction score
The nature of the fabric means they holds their shape pretty well. They're stretchy, but they don't stretch out as far as start tight and end up loose.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sweet, good to hear.

Large merino shirts worked out well. They are long for me but they hang and stack nicely.

Tigerprawn

Reaction score

Can't stand when they change measurements from iteration to iteration and don't bother to mention it. And they do it a lot.

I can understand expecting customers to check from year to year, but changing the pattern when they're restocking something they released 2 months ago seems a little stupid.

But for what it's worth, I got a large from the first run and it fits me and my 40" chest fine. It's my first Outlier button up so nothing to compare it to, but I usually have to size down in other shirts to get this fit.

Such a turn off. They used to be very vocal with changes like that.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Should I give my merino Ts and Slim Dungarees a wash before I go get the length taken in on them? Wondering if the wash will take some length out like most clothes.

brooks23

Reaction score
There's no cotton, so I'd assume you would be fine.

Since ProofNY gets lumped in here from time to time, they just released a button-down oxford in cotton/nylon blend for $90 -- but there's a coupon for 40% off through Sunday ("ironoxproof").

ledbelly

Reaction score
If I generally wear a 30 in levis 511 and 30 in naked and famous skinny do you think I could get away with a 29 in the slim dungarees?

brooks23

Reaction score
I can't get my calves through a 34 in 511s and the 34 in slim dungs fit fine, maybe even with a little extra room. I think you'd be fine with a 29, but the return policy is great so you can always swap them out or order two pair and send one back.

wizzeak

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm whether or not the slim dungarees are looser than the climbers? The measurements clearly suggest that but I've heard otherwise from a few people...

joshualim90

Reaction score
Anyone experienced blown side seams on the climbers? The thread holding the front pocket bag to the pants snapped. Funny thing is the thread is part of the side seams that hold your pants together. Maybe it snapped due to the load. Hope my tailor can fix it.

Man it's not like I do yoga in it.

US Grant

Reaction score

Can anyone confirm whether or not the slim dungarees are looser than the climbers? The measurements clearly suggest that but I've heard otherwise from a few people...

The Slims are 'looser' in my experience (I have both). The thigh on both is just about the same given the stretch of the Climbers but the Climbers clearly have more of a taper than the Slims.

This is a little tricky given the difference of fabric. The Slims are Doubleweave Canvas and while they are very similar to jeans, I can guarantee you these won't stretch or bag out. There isn't a point where you'd say they are broken in. They soften slightly in the first hour or so of wearing as you flex out the material but that's it. I don't mean to say they are uncomfortable but this isn't cotton. The Climbers are very stretchy/flexible and I love both of my pairs. I don't know if they stretch out per se but given that they are 10% elastic this might provide more variation in how they fit. The drape of the Climbers is significantly better in my opinion.

In the end they are really different pants and it depends on how and what you are wearing them for. The Climbers have a dressier hand and drape but check the back pockets if that matters to you. The Climbers are certainly tough but the Slim fabric is tough as nails.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics