1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Outlier Tailored Performance Clothing

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Roguls, Jan 15, 2011.

1. chill1217

chill1217 Well-Known Member

i need pants that are business casual appropriate and that might be used to a bicycle commute. which pants are right for me? i'm leaning toward the new OGs because of this post by canstyleace, but i'd like to hear out other opinions.

so why are the nyco slims half the price of the other pants? are outlier best pants for business casual + bicycling at this price point ($200+)?

i've also been looking at ministry of supply and their aero pants ($138).
    http://www.ministryofsupply.com/shop.html

seems like better pricing and they are targeting the more formal/dressier business appropriate technical wear. anybody have experience with them?

thanks for reading!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  2. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

The tech fabrics mainly (4/3/2 way stretch+water repellent/quick drying/moisture wisking), nycos dont have and I wouldnt ride bicycle with them either, not that you cant but not gonna be comfy.

If your doing business casual take a look at proof ny nomads as well, might get a discount if sign for newsletter or wait for black friday deals, nomads have the best office cut otr imho, nice slim strait, non tapered ankle, pretty close to og but with a slimmer upper block, so if you're really slim I'd look there first otherwise og all the way, get some on the bay or here for cheap and try them out.

1 person likes this.
  3. ebong

ebong Active Member

I own a pair of the nyco's. I don't know how much more water resistant the other pants they offer, but the nyco's do repel water some what.

4. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Senior member

I can agree with the proof nomad pants, I wear all three colors for business casual and definitely get them on sale!

5. canstyleace

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  6. rm20

rm20 Member

hey all...wanted to follow-up on my first outlier experience.

after the help here with the breakdown in outlier pants (comfort/durability etc), i got the nycos for my original purpose of a protective pair of pants for city motorcycle riding.

granted, i haven't fallen in them, but they definitely feel more durable than any pair of jeans i've worn. i wish they had some stretch, but all in all they're great esp for the price. think i'm going to bite the bullet and buy some separate motorcycle jeans, but definitely keeping the nycos as well!

7. BearCatCow

BearCatCow Member

That's true about the air forged oxfords. They feel snug on the shoulder but it actually doesn't hinder movement. I wore them and did a lot of strenuous activity that involved reaching, lifting, arm swinging, bending and it holds up quite well. Also, it is indeed quite sweat resistant. I wore an undershirt and sweat never showed. (in light blue)

8. einstine

einstine Senior member

Yea, there is a big difference between riding a bike and motorcycle lol. There is raw denim company that makes really nice jeans with kevlar in them for ridding motorcycles, google to find them.

9. rm20

rm20 Member

yep i know of a couple already (denim w/kevlar) but wanted to try these out b/c the gear just looks amazing.

i hate you all. now i'm itching for another pair of outlier pants :)

my wallet is crying.

10. kumquat

kumquat Member

11. kumquat

kumquat Member

hm

looks like they are 50% cotton, seems to be the big difference between the 2 pants proof ny offers...and the difference between these and the OG

12. einstine

einstine Senior member

^ They look huge and baggy, or I would buy 2 pairs.

13. kumquat

kumquat Member

that too! which is weird because the dimensions listed are the same as their other pants (nomad) except for inseam length. and the nomads look slimmer.

14. canstyleace

Weird, measurements are pretty much the same as nomad, prolly a schoeller blend variant.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  15. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Massif stuffs came (tees and a pair of pants).

They are a touch less stretchy than the OG, as in you can stretch but you will feel the restraint. NOT water resistant. Articulated seams on elbow and knees are nice touch.

Fits EXACTLY the same as my uniqlo clothes (S for S, 31 for 31). Stitching is much better than Outlier's :lol:

Considering I paid $40 for the pants and probably spend another $20 on taper and shortening, pretty solid pants for price. Would never pay retail though.

16. brooks23

brooks23 Senior member

The Surface pants look like Proof's variant on the 60/30 chino (although more like 50/40) rather than another comparison to OGs.

17. dlynch635

dlynch635 New Member

Please consider before supporting Outlier.

I had purchased a pair of the Nyco Slims. They are nice pants! Build quality was really strong and seemed very durable. However after 6 months they had shrunk on me. Now they are too tight to wear comfortably. My waist and legs have not grown. At the time of buying the Nyco Slims I also got same-sized pants elsewhere. Those other pants still fit.
    I emailed customer service seeing what my options were. The person merely stated that the pants don't shrink and I was beyond the 45 day return or exchange policy. I offered to ship the pants to them so they could see. She did not accept.
    This was a very frustrating experience since I paid 100$ for pants that lasted 6 months for me.
    I was originally attracted to outlier because they were American made. Just trying to do some ethical shopping and it bit me in the ass...

I do not recommend anyone support them. Instead check out Bonobos. They have a much more flexible return/exchange policy, better selection of clothing, and are American made.

Anyways, that's it! Thanks for listening :)

David

18. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

How did you launder them? If mine shrink a size I'd be screwed. I haven't washed mine yet.

19. Tigerprawn

Tigerprawn Senior member

"Our pants don't shrink" makes zero sense because NYCO slims WILL shrink and have shrunk in my experience by a significant amount. However, that was done with intent (friend wanted them slimmer without going down a full size). Shrinking your stuff by accident, outgrowing your clothes, none of that is Outlier's fault. On top of that you're outside of the return window.

I'm really not sure what you expected them to do. Outlier has amazing customer service, has never let me down, you seem like you're asking for an Amazon or REI level return when it was never promised or available from the start.

1 person likes this.
  20. dlynch635

dlynch635 New Member

I laundered them the way they suggested. Cold wash/tumble dry. And they were not outgrown as I've already explained. That's why I feel ripped off.

I was expecting more flexible communications with them. The "Our pants don't shrink, have a nice day" reply was not very accommodating.

Since the fabric is good quality, the pants look brand new. Good factor for an exchange, I thought...