Outlier Tailored Performance Clothing

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Roguls, Jan 15, 2011.

1. raags

raags Senior member

If I size 32.5inch (about 16.25inch across) in my best-fitting pants waistbands, would people recommend sizing up to 31 or down to 30 in the slim dungs?

I'm from Australia so a return will set me back about $30

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013

2. SuEd

SuEd Senior member

Size up. But imo getting both sizes, and returning the one that doesn't fit as well, is worth the investment.

3. einstine

einstine Senior member

Anybody buy the beach pants?

4. HansPhonetic

HansPhonetic Senior member

5. HansPhonetic

HansPhonetic Senior member

Has anybody purchased the Hypercity backpack? It looks pretty cool but not very practical for city use. Does it have a secure laptop pouch and any other compartments for supplies? I'm leaning more towards a Lexdray Boulder pack (if they re-release it in black) but that might have too many compartments and not enough overall space.
    Visvim is too pricey and too Jap for me; Mission Workshop's bags don't appeal to me (overly technical looking?).. Technical with a classic look is ideal.

6. einstine

einstine Senior member

Get a Mismo bag, they have a great casual look that also makes them stand out from any other bag without looking too flashy. I got the day pack in black great bag water resistant, can be converted into a backpack, tote, or messenger bag. http://www.thecorner.com/us/men/large-fabric-bag_cod45200341bw.html

Also the company Outlier collaborated with has the same bag for $125 less. I am rapidly loosing interest in Outlier, and there products. The $250 free shipping is ridiculous since all there pants are under $250, the backpack overpricing from the original, and there neutral colors black, grey, navy, all look the same unless your in bright light. Also Abe is always stating about price "which I dont really care about too much", that they sell them as low as possible, but Proof NY w/ coupon sells there pants at $165 same exact material as new ogs, climbers etc., even w/o coupon they are at $190.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013

7. SuEd

SuEd Senior member

I had the Outlier Minimal Backpack from last year and this is more evolved (and more expensive) that the old one. The Hypercity has a compartment for supplies but you'll want to get a case for a laptop. The Backpack is useful for bike riding, hiking etc but I think a messenger bag is better if you're walking around in the city. Check out bagjack's 2Face Tote (which transforms to a messenger bag or backpack) or NXL Messenger (which transform to a briefcase or backpack).

Is Proof NY of similar quality though? With 'Gusseted crotch' and 'Patent pending pivot sleeve'? Would love to see a comparison review.
    How do you like the Supermarines, by the way? Are you wearing them regularly or saving for special occasions?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013

8. einstine

einstine Senior member

Proof NY vs. Outlier products would only be comparable between there nomad pants, and new OGs, I am guessing there shorts are similar also but I do not own there shorts only Outliers three ways. So between the Proofs newly released nomad pants and Outliers new OGs, even with money aside I would go with Proofs. They are a better from my view, as in there front pockets dont buldge so much, found no excess or loose threads, and they are actually true to size which is a great plus. Then if you put money in the scenario Proofs would defiantly be the way to go. Between wearing comparison I have owned New OGs, they just were not my style compared to climbers. I have not worn the new nomad pants out but I have worn there older model, and for some reason the material in Proofs older pants was a lot softer even though they were the same percentage of all materials as Outliers. Proof NY pants are also dedicated for commuting I think. Outlier is defiantly a bigger company then Proof NY, thats why I don't understand how they get to sell them that much cheaper. I wonder if they know each other also since they are both in New York.

The sumermarines are holding up swell, probably only worn them about 10 times so far. I bought them actually to wear with my jeans since they bleed all over my other shoes that are not black or blue, since I cant wear my indy boots in 90 degree weather. They got me start wearing my Flatheads more since I actually have a nice pair of shoes that go with everything. I absolutely love the shoelace tuck that has got to be the best idea ever! I just don't understand why they did not use three way fabric for that part since then it wouldnt cause a permanent stretch in that pocket.

If I am not mistaking you have a pair that is fairly worn in. I emailed Feit and they do resole them... thats the only reason I bought them. You should send yours in and let us know how they came out, and the cost of doing so.

9. deem

deem Senior member

Hey everyone, I'm heading to Southeast Asia in August/sept, and I want to get shorts and pants. For the pants, the New OGs (or Proof Nomad) seem more versatile than then ultralights. Would the OGs/Nomads be too hot for a humid climate? Thanks for any help.

10. einstine

einstine Senior member

No they are both light weight pants. I don't know why they even make ultralights, there so light they actually sit on your body a little goofy in my opinion.

11. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

^Indeed^
    Theres a complete absence of drape, and even though you brush against the material now and again, for the most part they're "floating" around your hips/legs, weird looking imho,,, prefer og's hella more than ultralights.

On a side note, i too am very intrigued by those proof nomads, anybody else here own some that can comment?
    Particularly interested in the cut/fit of the pant, I'm very pleased with the og's but if i could change anything I would make them just a tad slimmer in the hip/upper thigh area.
    Also can anybody confirm what the pine grey color actually looks like? looks like a darker grey with an olive tone to me but I have no clue if thats accurate.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013

12. deem

deem Senior member

That's great to hear. Thanks for the advice. For shorts, do the ultralights suffer from the same odd drape as the pants?

13. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

I do not own any shorts (of any kind...)

14. deem

deem Senior member

Hey canstyleace, I'm going to order a pair of the Nomad pants today because I think they're having a sale. I can't compare them to the OGs, but I can post measurements and pics of the color once they arrive.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013

15. einstine

einstine Senior member

Nomads are a slim straight cut better fit in the top block then New OGs, but about the same leg sizing. The pine grey is slightly lighter then outliers slate no olive tone. I would love to keep my nomads over my climbers but I would have to get them hemmed and tapered and that would be about $50 thats why I am selling mine. If someone doesn't buy them soon they will be tailored into shorts for myself.