1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Outlier Tailored Performance Clothing

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Roguls, Jan 15, 2011.

1. aeymxq

aeymxq Active Member

2. SuEd

SuEd Senior member

The white dyneema is kinda transparent so I too prefer the hypercity's black color.

3. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

Have I mentioned that I LOVE my OG's?

I really love 'em and I plan to keep supporting outlier, but what I really love about them is the schoeller 4 season fabric, and I've had to tailor all my og's in the top block to fit proper (I wear 28 so cant size down either, although I recall them making 27 a few years back, wish they still did but they dont, and 28 is really huge for a true 28 waist).

So if proof is exactly the same fabric and turns out to fit me better in the top block, or comes out with more distinctive color options, plus I'm also saving a bill per pair, then of course I will support them as well, posers or not.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. InHocSignio

InHocSignio Senior member

Though I hate it as a consumer, the fact that Outlier products often sell out immediately upon release/restock may indicate they have even more room to raise prices, indeed perhaps necessarily raise them. They may not have the capacity to raise production to meet demand -- as I understand it the Schoeller fabric is made in limited runs -- without incurring significantly more risk, and price-raising is simply one of the best alternatives to crush demand you can't meet.

5. SuEd

SuEd Senior member

Outlier could manage demand in other ways. They could switch to a seasonal model, announce a collection weeks or months in advance, get customer feedback, and produce as needed. Or they could try a kickstarter model, display a sample item for a limited window and then produce the number that the customers order.

Outlier has 5,000+ on their mailing list and 8,000+ Twitter followers so raising the price isn't doing much to stop the items produced in limited numbers (only 25 for 60/30 jacket!) selling out in hours/days.

6. einstine

einstine Senior member

They make limited amounts on purpose. To give that the demand is higher then it actually is, im sure they could produce more if the really wanted too. But producing a low amount of garments makes them rare, and I know for a fact people love rare items. I love owning clothing that people cant get there hands on anymore. Its also not just with outlier but practicly all good high end clothing lines garments from past seasons are hard to find.

7. HansPhonetic

HansPhonetic Senior member

8. InHocSignio

double post

9. InHocSignio

I do think the Kickstarter model, a la Gustin, will become an increasingly viable path for brands to take, and is better than outright price raising every season. Outlier has alot of Reddit (and in general online) hype, and in fact I know quite a few people, more than I should know, outside the NY fashion bubble ready to plunk money down for a pair of OG dungarees at a fairish price point. How interested the brand is in preserving their relationships with their stockists would probably the stickling point, I don't know really know how wide or deep their distribution is, and it would be going pretty out on the business model forefront right now.

Eh. I don't really think oversaturation is a problem Outlier is worried with. And anonymous tech-ish wear, stuff people aren't going to ask you for the label straight up, doesn't strike me as the kind of Veblen good that demand is created the higher the price. (Unlike, say, a big-ass Hermes belt or whatever.) When guidos and hypebeasts start wearing Outlier, I'd agree that's a problem, but I think they really would like get more of their stuff into a compatible demographic that desires it.

10. SuEd

SuEd Senior member

Outlier discontinued the relationships with their stockists last year and are now direct distribution only. FEIT, who Outlier partnered with to create the Supermarines shoes, uses a Kickstarter-like model (I'm not sure how well it works for them though). I guess Outlier's current model is a great way for them to manage demand as only the rich can drop thousands, or even hundreds, at a moment's notice on a new Outlier release. The rest of us... :|

11. einstine

einstine Senior member

I hate kickstarters for cloths, so many ridicioulous raw denim ones. They could easily do what proof is doing and offer discount codes and promotions. They could generate hype by doing YouTube videos like durabilty tests, making of Outlier garments, interviews, garment reviews etc. hell they could even give away a few pairs for free by contests. It seems like they dont try, and if they would and do it right, maintaing a certain crowd of consumers that they desire should not be hard.

12. SuEd

SuEd Senior member

Outlier doesn't need to generate more hype; they already get coverage from GQ, Forbes, Mens Journal and Esquire... Outlier isn't an upstart like Proof anymore — they've been there and done that: discount codes, videos (youtube too), interviews, making of Outlier garments, garment reviews and even contests. I don't think they are trying to get the certain crowd of 50% discount consumers anymore. If you want to pay cheap prices for Outlier then just wait until it pops up on ebay/classifieds. Some great deals to be had.

13. einstine

einstine Senior member

Great points. One of the best things about Outlier they hold there value well, I seen many Outlier pants go for only $20 less then retail which I think is ridiculous to do that. I would not pay anything less then $50 off for a used garments unless it was really rare.

14. SuEd

SuEd Senior member

Well if a pant is currently sold out on the Outlier site then resale prices will be higher, especially for the popular sizes S/M/30-33. For those sizes it's not even advisable to wait for a re-up from Outlier 'cause you might get the email late and, by the time you check the site, the new ones are already gone again. Plus Outlier products keep their quality so even used items tend to be in good shape and last long. XS and XL aren't priced so bad but then again they don't pop up so often on the second hand market.

p.s. Any regular in this thread who wants to buy my Outlier hoodie or cardigan, mention this discussion and get 11% off ;)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  15. einstine

einstine Senior member

I have not worn my pants enough to know this so... I heard the inside lining on the pants goes pretty fast, once it goes does it make them uncomfortable or anything like that?

16. SuEd

SuEd Senior member

Hmm I haven't heard that. From that AmA linked above:

17. HansPhonetic

HansPhonetic Senior member

1 person likes this.
  18. adamha21

adamha21 Senior member

19. einstine

einstine Senior member

There releasing tomorrow? They usually mention on twitter that they will be releasing something new. I was about to buy some A. Wang tees too damn Outlier!!

20. SuEd

SuEd Senior member

There was a tweet on the 18th that there will be a "special release" this week. The party is tomorrow so the release is probably the next day. There was a similar party for the 60/30 Blazer on May 8th:
    and they released it on the 9th.

1 person likes this.