• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Outlet Stores? ferragamo, off 5th, hickey freeman, barneys??

huskyzealot

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
261
Reaction score
3
A friend of mine is trying to get me to go with him to some outlet stores, I looked online and while most of the shops looked uninteresting, they do have a ferragamo, hickey freeman, off 5th, and barneys outlet stores... can anyone with experience comment on if it is worth my time to visit these shops? I really don't need anything, but if I am likely to stumble upon some good stuff at drastically discounted prices I might tag along for the 1.5 hr car ride.
 

huskyzealot

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
261
Reaction score
3
you nailed it, is it worth the trip? i have never been there
 

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2007
Messages
1,150
Reaction score
2
It's OK, not great there.

Hickey Freeman has suits for around $700-800. You could do better, you could do worse. Ferragamo is not good, ties for $100, shoes at maybe $200-300. Barney's has a lot of house brand tailored clothing, suits for $500-600. They didn't feel half bad and for that price you could do worse, but if you have the stomach for bargain hunting, can do better as well. Off 5th was a joke.
 

JParker89

Active Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2008
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by huskyzealot
you nailed it, is it worth the trip? i have never been there

Saks - Not very good, too much Ed Hardy and other made-for-the-outlet crap. Decent shoe selection sometimes though.

Barneys - Completely worthless, although their Piattelli dress shirts are nice.

Hickey Freeman - Surprisingly good, nice selection of suits and sportcoats at good prices.

Ferragamo - Let's say I have a bit of a working relationship with them. Don't go expecting any crazy sales on mens' items. Very good selection of ties at $99, decent shoe selection, five Tramezza models in limited sizes, a few belts, and a few dress shirts and leather jackets.

Also be sure to check out Brooks Brothers. Mostly 346 branded crap, but they occasionally get some mainline and Black Fleece clothing. Right now, they have some Black Fleece cashmere v-necks for about $175 (down from $700), Black Fleece suits for about $900 (down from $2700) and some mainline BB sweaters (crewneck and v-neck) for between $100 and $200.

Depending on what you're looking for and what size you are, it could very well be worth the trip.
 

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2008
Messages
1,079
Reaction score
2
There's a RL there too, though they never seem to get the sort of quality you'll find in Woodbury or even Riverhead. Sometimes you'll find a good suit at Off 5th, I got a great deal on an Isaia suit that I love there, it was under $400 (may have been closer to $300).
 

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2008
Messages
1,079
Reaction score
2
What sort of pricing do you get on the Tramezzas?

Originally Posted by JParker89
Saks - Not very good, too much Ed Hardy and other made-for-the-outlet crap. Decent shoe selection sometimes though.

Barneys - Completely worthless, although their Piattelli dress shirts are nice.

Hickey Freeman - Surprisingly good, nice selection of suits and sportcoats at good prices.

Ferragamo - Let's say I have a bit of a working relationship with them. Don't go expecting any crazy sales on mens' items. Very good selection of ties at $99, decent shoe selection, five Tramezza models in limited sizes, a few belts, and a few dress shirts and leather jackets.

Also be sure to check out Brooks Brothers. Mostly 346 branded crap, but they occasionally get some mainline and Black Fleece clothing. Right now, they have some Black Fleece cashmere v-necks for about $175 (down from $700), Black Fleece suits for about $900 (down from $2700) and some mainline BB sweaters (crewneck and v-neck) for between $100 and $200.

Depending on what you're looking for and what size you are, it could very well be worth the trip.
 

JParker89

Active Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2008
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by DrZRM
What sort of pricing do you get on the Tramezzas?

Fiorenzo (Black and Brown captoe bluchers) - $449, down from $650.
Sauro (Anthracite (greyish) monkstap with apron) - $559, down from $910.
Tropicale (Black loafer with apron) - $499, down from $780.
Burgman (Brown loafer) - $499, I think.

Hoping to receive more, but they're stingy with their men's collection.
 

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2006
Messages
5,360
Reaction score
4
There are Sack off 5th and Neiman las call and Neiman takes credit there. And it is all in beautifull NJ much closer than outlets.
 

huskyzealot

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
261
Reaction score
3
thanks for the info guys, hickey freeman and ferragamo sound interesting

been to a few BB outlets, but never seen much non-346 stuff, the prospects of black fleece items being mixed in is intriguing

sounds like its at least worth making the trip
 

pred02

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2008
Messages
245
Reaction score
0
Updated on Wrentham:

Polo RL - in the markdown section you sometimes see RLPL and RLBL shirts and pants marked down heavily. I was also able to pick up some RLPL ties for about $19 each.

Hugo Boss store - suprisingly this store has a better selection of shirts and suits than the Woodbury Common store.

Ferragamo - every once in a while they have a sale with the Tramezzas marked down to $250.

Off 5th - terrible selection, Burberry suits, Boss, Hickney. Boss, Theory pants, no good shoes just Saks house brand and Boss.

Barneys - Boss and Barney suits. Way overpriced.

Lacosta - bah...
 

halpap

Active Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2007
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
Hickey Freeman sometimes has a selection of suits for the $300-400 range in the outlet. Sportcoats for $250. Not the whole store, but a selection of off season stuff. Of course there is an element of luck in finding something in your size.
 

pred02

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2008
Messages
245
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by halpap
Hickey Freeman sometimes has a selection of suits for the $300-400 range in the outlet. Sportcoats for $250. Not the whole store, but a selection of off season stuff. Of course there is an element of luck in finding something in your size.

I was checking out some HF suits in Nordstrom Rack in Danvers, and even in my size it seems that their suits are really made for older, bulkier people. They seem very tradition, IMHO, like Brooks Brothers or Oxxford.
 

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2012
Messages
1,059
Reaction score
617
Update from Wrenthem:

Ferragamo : Descent tie selection : I purchase 1 tie for $119
Lace up shoe selection is week but have a good selection on loafers



Has anyone checked out the Hickey Freeman store in Kittery, Maine? I am thinking about taking a trip there.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 2 2.3%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 11 12.8%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 27 31.4%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 21 24.4%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 8 9.3%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 4 4.7%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 2 2.3%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 5 5.8%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 100+

    Votes: 6 7.0%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,301
Messages
9,196,424
Members
193,138
Latest member
xyudantar

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top