• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outgrowing clothes

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After over one year of working out 4-5 times a week, I have gone up in jacket size from 38 to 40.  Normally this would be cause for great rejoicing, but I have also outgrown a suit that I recently purchased.  The jacket cannot be altered because there is not enough material.  Fortunately, I didn't pay that much for the suit both because I rarely get the opportunity to wear one (my office is business casual 5 days a week) and I thought that I might outgrow it soon.  I am now in the market for some suits and sportscoats so I can bring a more upscale look to the office, but I am afraid of outgrowing those as well.  Should I hold off on buying anything really nice or take the chance that my build will not fluctuate too much?  FYI, I am currently between 170 and 175 pounds (depending on the time of day) and I don't see myself adding more than 5 to 10 pounds of muscle.  Although it will only be a rough estimate, I am particularly interested in hearing from anyone who has an athletic build between 175 and 185 pounds -- what size jacket do you wear?

GatorStyle

Reaction score
Ambulance, I fall in that weight range you describe (between 172 and 178, depending upon the workout pattern of the moment) and I wear a 42 jacket.  If you progress as you have been, you're likely to wind up at that size (maybe a 44, at most; or a 46 if you decide to incorporate 'roids into your routine).  As an aside, they speak of athletic physiques in terms of suit sizes as characterized by the "drop" between shoulder and waist sizes.  A good rule of thumb is that a 10 inch drop (or more) represents  an inverted-"v" shape (broad shoulders, narrow waist).  My "drop" is generally between 10-12 inches.

In terms of buying new clothes with an eye for your future physique, you can only approximate based upon what you know of your current sizes (are you barely squeezing into a 40, or is that already tight?) and where you expect to be (and how diligent and dedicated you are to achieving that).  When in doubt, I always buy sizes (for any item of clothing) that err on the side of more fit/athletic - in other words, I leave myself no margin for error or laziness with eating and working out.  It gives me extra motivation not to cheat.  If I did cheat, then I'd "punish" myself by not fitting well into the clothing I just bought.  Works like a charm.  The moral of the story is, don't be afraid to purchase in-between/not-quite sizes that contemplate what you will soon look like- just be sure that your goals are reasonable and attainable.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GatorStyle,

Thanks for the advice.  My drop is nine inches (40 jacket, 31 pant).  I have been told that Hugo Boss suits are particularly good for athletic builds because they run large.  Do you wear a size 40 Boss instead of 42?

GatorStyle

Reaction score
Funny you should ask, Ambulance, as I happen to be wearing a Hugo Boss suit today, as I type this.  Without question, I've found Boss suits to be the most flattering on me, and to most effectively accentuate and complement my particular body type.  I still wear a 42 jacket with Boss.

What you may be referring to with Boss is (at least with the Boss suits that I have) a more squared-off, bulked up shoulder.  It took me a while to get used to it, but I absolutely love that look now, particularly when coupled with reasonably slim, flat-front suit trousers that are characteristic on each of my Boss suits.  Truthfully, I've yet to find a suit in that price range that I like more.  Try the outlets if you're interested - my last 2 Boss suits I found at a Hugo outlet, and an Off Saks outlet; one was 450 and the other 400.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hadn't even considered this when I spent 2k on my first nice suit (which is custom made, so it fits perfectly) a couple months ago and now I just started working out cause frankly I'm too damned skinny. I'm hoping to put on a good 15-20 lbs. and now (since reading this post) you've got me worried about outgrowing clothes
frown.gif
Right now I wear a 38 jacket and 31 pants and am 5'11 135. I have very little experience with suit sizes and imagining how much difference 15lbs is gonna make. This is killing me cause I've spent a fortune on clothes this year (I was in the 5k+ category) building a good wardrobe. I make good money compared to most students but this is still a lot for me and if I outgrow them I'm gonna cry. Can anyone who's done the same sorta thing I'm doing tell me if 15lbs is gonna make me too big for my clothes? I really don't have any idea how much muscle 15-20lbs is... Oh and ambulance chaser, just curious, how much have you gone up in weight since you started over a year ago?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After spend a couple of years in the South eating food that makes McDonald's look like health food and getting no exercise, I had ballooned up to around 190 pounds. Â I got down to around 180 pounds when I started exercising seriously. Â Intensive cardio work got me down to 153 pounds, which was way too light for me. Â (I am 5'10".) Â So I think the year of weight training plus cardio added around 20 pounds of mostly muscle. Â I wanted to develop a V-shaped body, so I spent most of my time and energy on chest and shoulder exercises -- no lower body exercises at all. To answer your concern, GQgeek, I think you will probably be safe adding another 15-20 pounds, so long as it is evenly distributed around your body. Â I wore a 38 when I was around 155 to 160 pounds (although looking back I have no idea whether that was the correct size). Â Of course, with a custom made suit, the tailor may not have included any excess material to let out. Â In any event, if you notice your clothes getting tight, you can always cut back your workouts. Â Or you can suck it up and decide that being a certain weight and build is worth the money you'll have to shell out to get a new wardrobe. Â I suppose you can always put your old clothes up for sale on E-bay. Â
smile.gif

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Hey, guys...

A good tailor can usually work with about 20 lbs either way. Best place for a good tailor is a local alterations only shop, or specialty store. Dept stores- even Sak's, N-M, Nordies et al won't take the same amt of time, or give you the same service. Dry cleaners are OK for hems, nothing more.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Good to know my workouts probably won't indirectly cost me thousands of dollars right after I've just spent it heh
smile.gif

Joe G

Reaction score
After over one year of working out 4-5 times a week, I have gone up in jacket size from 38 to 40.  Normally this would be cause for great rejoicing, but I have also outgrown a suit that I recently purchased.  The jacket cannot be altered because there is not enough material.  Fortunately, I didn't pay that much for the suit both because I rarely get the opportunity to wear one (my office is business casual 5 days a week) and I thought that I might outgrow it soon.  I am now in the market for some suits and sportscoats so I can bring a more upscale look to the office, but I am afraid of outgrowing those as well.  Should I hold off on buying anything really nice or take the chance that my build will not fluctuate too much?  FYI, I am currently between 170 and 175 pounds (depending on the time of day) and I don't see myself adding more than 5 to 10 pounds of muscle.  Although it will only be a rough estimate, I am particularly interested in hearing from anyone who has an athletic build between 175 and 185 pounds -- what size jacket do you wear?
You've already made your biggest jump. When I started working out more seriously, I jumped about one size, from a 52-54 to a 54-56. (Subtract 10 for US sizes. I'm a decent 220-225, but have a moderate tall frame.)

The former is my "summer" size, the latter my "winter" size, to account for extra bulk under the jacket such as jumpers.

So I wouldn't worry too much about outgrowing new purchases.

Peace,

JG

JeffsWood

Reaction score
yes it good to have a few sizes in the closet, I tend to move around about 15lbs from season to season dependingon what I am doing.

Happydayz

Reaction score
That is a good point that Joe G made. You make your biggest gains early. After that it tends to be more slow going. So do not assume a constant rate of growth as you continue to work out.

trader

Reaction score
really... a 7 and a half year old thread....

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
After spend a couple of years in the South eating food that makes McDonald's look like health food and getting no exercise, I had ballooned up to around 190 pounds. Â I got down to around 180 pounds when I started exercising seriously. Â Intensive cardio work got me down to 153 pounds, which was way too light for me. Â (I am 5'10".) Â So I think the year of weight training plus cardio added around 20 pounds of mostly muscle. Â I wanted to develop a V-shaped body, so I spent most of my time and energy on chest and shoulder exercises -- no lower body exercises at all.

How did you do the weight training plus cardio bit to gain muscle? I live in the Deep South and also want to gain mass. I am 5' 6", 140 lbs.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
How did you do the weight training plus cardio bit to gain muscle? I live in the Deep South and also want to gain mass. I am 5' 6", 140 lbs.

What are you asking?

Cardio to improve your cardio. Eat more to gain mass. Depending on age and activity level you might need to eat ALOT if you're doing serious cardio along with serious lifting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads