• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Outfit for Graduation Night Dinner & Dance (updated with pics)

Azzurri

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2010
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
Hey guys, need some advice for my outfit for the graduation dinner. Posted some pics of the outfit below. What I've thought of so far: Midnight Purple Velvet Dinner Jacket White French Cuff Shirt Black Dress Pants Black Velvet Bowtie Black Lace-ups
Can't decide on these two pocket squares either.
The boutonniere is done but I think it's kinda overwhelming..
Looking forward to hearing some opinions. Thanks!
 

GBear

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2010
Messages
1,614
Reaction score
922
Probably high school if he's going with a midnight purple pimp velvet jacket.
 

Mark from Plano

Lifestyle change - no homo
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
10,850
Reaction score
392
Honestly, you'll probably take some gruff around here but for what you're doing I think it'll look great.

My general rule with formalish wear is to stick pretty close to the uniform, but if you want to make a break (like say a Midnight Purple Velvet Dinner Jacket), make that the one deviation. If you start adding things on top of one another it starts to get garish. A polka dot bowtie with it would be too much IMO.

I'd say plain black bow tie and patent laceups.

JMHO.
 

kannoos

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2009
Messages
194
Reaction score
0
What is midnight purple, exactly? Is it "blacker than black", like midnight blue?
 

Azzurri

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2010
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Achilles_
What are you graduating from?

College.

Originally Posted by GBear
Probably high school if he's going with a midnight purple pimp velvet jacket.

Conformity is not my thing.

Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Honestly, you'll probably take some gruff around here but for what you're doing I think it'll look great.

My general rule with formalish wear is to stick pretty close to the uniform, but if you want to make a break (like say a Midnight Purple Velvet Dinner Jacket), make that the one deviation. If you start adding things on top of one another it starts to get garish. A polka dot bowtie with it would be too much IMO.

I'd say plain black bow tie and patent laceups.

JMHO.


Thanks for your opinion, will probably take this route.

Originally Posted by kannoos
What is midnight purple, exactly? Is it "blacker than black", like midnight blue?

Sorry I meant dark purple. Not darker than black but a darker shade of the normal purple you see.
 

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2010
Messages
1,757
Reaction score
14
Well, midnight blue is already a standard (although in velvet the light would give you a halo that certainly wasn't blacker than black).

Anyway, if you're putting together a tux, go the full 9 yards. Even a standard tux at an unstandard time is making a big statement without breaking the rules of the uniform.
 

AncientSoul

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2011
Messages
58
Reaction score
2
If you have a hot date then wear something that comes off easily.
 

GBR

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
8,547
Reaction score
717
Originally Posted by Azzurri
Hey guys, need some advice for my outfit for the graduation dinner.

What I've thought of so far:
Midnight Purple Velvet Dinner Jacket
White French Cuff Shirt
Black Dress Pants

I'm unsure if I should go for a silk black polka-dotted bow tie or a plain black velvet one to match the jacket. And should I go with black wingtips or patent lace ups?

Looking forward to hearing some opinions.

Thanks!


Which university - there is normally a firm code at respectable universities. High Schools and lesser places tend to indulge fancy dress such as that you are proposing.
 

Azzurri

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2010
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by GBR
Which university - there is normally a firm code at respectable universities. High Schools and lesser places tend to indulge fancy dress such as that you are proposing.

I'm studying in Singapore, where dress codes and fashion sense is not one of our strongest points (trust me on this) so I doubt there will be a firm code on this one.
 

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2010
Messages
3,766
Reaction score
2,090
In general, the people who can pull off coloured velvet jackets tend to be the people who never need to ask whether they can.
 

JohnShaft

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2009
Messages
111
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
My general rule with formalish wear is to stick pretty close to the uniform, but if you want to make a break (like say a Midnight Purple Velvet Dinner Jacket), make that the one deviation. If you start adding things on top of one another it starts to get garish. A polka dot bowtie with it would be too much IMO.

I'd say plain black bow tie and patent laceups.

JMHO.


+1

The younger you are, the more you can get away with deviations (until you become much older, wealthy, and eccentric that is) so enjoy all sorts of them now, while you have the energy.
 

TRA8324

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2011
Messages
373
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by Azzurri
I'm studying in Singapore, where dress codes and fashion sense is not one of our strongest points (trust me on this) so I doubt there will be a firm code on this one.
Not at NUS by any chance? I studied there for a brief stint on my study abroad a few summers back. I agree with what everyone else has said. If you are going to have a piece as loud as a purple velvet dinner jacket, then make the rest of your outfit as a subtle and understated as possible.
 

Azzurri

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2010
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by TRA8324
Not at NUS by any chance? I studied there for a brief stint on my study abroad a few summers back. I agree with what everyone else has said. If you are going to have a piece as loud as a purple velvet dinner jacket, then make the rest of your outfit as a subtle and understated as possible.

Nope, I'm graduating from Singapore Polytechnic. Anyway how was your experience at NUS?

Ok duly noted.
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

  • Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

  • Loafers

  • Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

  • Monk strap shoes

  • Oxford / Derby shoes

  • Sneakers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,075
Messages
9,191,337
Members
193,054
Latest member
dcvandong

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top