• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outfit for a Christening

C.YoungII

Reaction score
Hi All,

New member to the forum here. I have been invited to a Christening for my cousins newborn. I was wondering what an appropriate outfit would be for the occasion? The ceremony is at a church with a reception to follow at a nice banquet hall.

I was leaning towards a suit but I'm not sure if that's too dressy or not.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A suit is certainly acceptable. More and more people under-dress at events like that, but traditionally a suit would certainly be appropriate.

C.YoungII

Reaction score
A suit is certainly acceptable. More and more people under-dress at events like that, but traditionally a suit would certainly be appropriate.
Thanks for the response. I just got a new navy suit which I've been itchy to wear out!

jaxenro

Reaction score
Seems people are more worried about being overdressed than underdressed lately. Seems funny to me as the whole casual men’s dress thing was supposed to have come about to be more comfortable and to show the individual didn’t need to conform to social norms yet many now are worried about not conforming to the casual dress social norm.

I don’t recommend a tux for grocery shopping but if your comfortable in dress pants and sports coats, or a suit, then go for it.

Chouan

Reaction score
Use any occasion as an excuse to dress up, you'll enjoy it.:)

emptym

Reaction score
I'd ask your cousin what they plan to wear. Different churches have different levels of formality. For my brother's kids' baptisms in southern CA, no one wore a coat or a tie. For our kids in northern CA, we wore sport coats but no ties. If we still lived in the East Coast, we'd probably have worn coat and tie of some kind.

C.YoungII

Reaction score
I'd ask your cousin what they plan to wear. Different churches ave different levels of formality. For my brother's kid's baptisms in southern CA, no one wore a coat or a tie. For our kids in northern CA, we wore sport coats but no ties. If we still lived in the East Coast, we'd probably have worn coat and tie of some kind.
Good advice, never thought to ask.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a fact that our culture has interpreted more casual dress codes to mean no dress codes at all, or one single dress code for all of life. Some aspects of this trend are to be encouraged, notably the propensity of young women to consider lingerie as outer wear. In most other cases it must be resisted.

It is entirely possible that you will be the only man at the christening who has shown enough respect to dress properly. The discomfort your attire might cause other, less thoughtful guests is entirely a problem of their own making.

jaxenro

Reaction score
It is entirely possible that you will be the only man at the christening who has shown enough respect to dress properly. The discomfort your attire might cause other, less thoughtful guests is entirely a problem of their own making.

Well said. Funny lately I have been trying to learn the “rules” about what to wear with what, what is appropriate for my age, time of year, and event. In a society that seems to have tossed all the rules for what men should wear why should I care about brown in town or white before Memorial Day? Isn’t just dressing better enough? If the average Joe is wearing shorts and a T shirt on a warm day in February why not that summertime white linen sports coat? Because I think part of the experience, or lifestyle, of dressing better is following the rules of what is appropriate to ones age, and the event and season one is dressing for and then working within those rules to express a personal sense of style.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads