• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outerwear

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are you planning to wear when it gets a little nipply out? Wishful thinking...

I've saved a little cash for a piece this fall. I'm looking at the Filson Mackinaw Cruiser, a shorter Barbour jacket (like the Bedale), or maybe something a little more fashion-y, like Nice Collective or R+B (though they get a little pricey, no?), or maybe Engineered Garments, though I didn't love any of the stuff in the preview book. If I don't find something I really dig, I might just stick with my peacoat.

Maybe a moleskin jacket... any opinions on this?

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
I love moleskin jackets. That one looks quite nice, though as always with outerwear (IMO) the silhouette when worn is the most important part.

For some reason I barely wore my long black wool coat last winter--nice and slim--and now I'm really jonesing to put it on. I've also been looking at my corduroy blazers with longing. And as you said, peacoats are always good.

What I'm *really* dying for, though, is the chance to wear scarves again.

I haven't even started thinking about buying new pieces, actually. I kind of overload on outerwear. My jackets are always my favorite part of my wardrobe, and the things I most enjoy wearing. I also have this bad habit of buying slightly different versions of jackets that I already have, which I'm making a concerted effort to avoid this Fall.

digital_denim

Big Lose
Reaction score
I'm planning on getting the Engineered Garments Bedford Jacket in GreyBlack herringbone. Saw it at a store and really liked it. It was nice and seemed very practical as far as going casual or more dressy with it.

You can't go wrong with the peacoat and the Filson jacket looks great.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
This is the latest jacket I bought from Diesel, which should work for the majority of fall/winter days in SoCal...otherwise I have plenty of other jackets. I've been surprised at how much Diesel gear I've been seeing for fall/winter that I like.

Pic from Revolve:
DIES-MO28_V1.jpg

and maybe I need a sanity check but I saw this Juicy Couture jacket at Saks and really liked it.

NM-0STJ_mn.jpg

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I've been surprised at how much Diesel gear I've been seeing for fall/winter that I like.

Yeah, me too. For some reason, F/W 06 seems to be a big step up for them.

familyman

Reaction score
That moleskin jacket looks nice. I've always loved moleskin as a fabric. The filson jacket as well, very nice, very classic.
Jackets have always been a favorite of mine though I've always liked a lighter outer jacket with the appropriate layers underneath. With all the different sweaters and fleeces and thermals you've got so much to put under a jacket. Through the years I've had a plaid woolrich jacket, a couple technical shells, a vintage motorcycle jacket, a few heavy shirt/jackets, one in moleskin with pearl snaps, and an old M-65 to name a few. This year I'm going to try a waxed denim jacket and see how that turns out. The thing with jakets is that theres so much variety in fabrics and cuts. The leathers and the wools and the various cottons and the goretex variants and all that. Lots of variety, lots of fun. I wish I still lived somewhere cold.

Babar

Reaction score
I think Diesel started to improve around FW 05. Most of the designs were quite subdued for a change (less logos and sewn-on labels), and some of the colorways were really nice. I guess it was around that time that the prices went up too though

someoneNew

Reaction score
-Navy JCrew Peacoat
-Diesel Hoje leather moto
-555 Soul khaki desert jacket
-JCrew brown suede (need it tailored)
-BR black leather
-Alfani long black wool
-KC black nylon moto
-Helly Hansen snow jacket if, God forbid, it gets really cold in Cali.

The Diesel is by far the favorite of my collection, but I really don't know how many years I can get away with it - for the price though I have to wear it at least through this winter. Also picked up a casual 555 Soul Desert Jacket which I'm digging, but it's light and will be too cold if the bay area gets into the 50s often. Would love to get a vintage looking military jacket but I've just spent too much on jackets the last few years and need to wear what I've bought.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by someoneNew
Also picked up a casual 555 Soul Desert Jacket which I'm digging, but it's light and will be too cold if the bay area gets into the 50s often.
Haha, I remember when I lived in the Bay Area and thought that weather in the 50s was too cold for just a light jacket.
biggrin.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Haha, I remember when I lived in the Bay Area and thought that weather in the 50s was too cold for just a light jacket.
biggrin.gif

50s! Hahahahah. That's perfect weather. You can wear a hoodie for warmth, and a light jacket over that if you are in the mood.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Dipped down into the high 60s in oc last night, I had to bust out the monarchy hoodie.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

familyman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
Just saw this on active endeavours. May pick it up, looks nice to me. The only jacket I own at the moment is the brown Rag & Bone wax workcoat.

http://www.activeendeavors.com/produ...&pfid=AED14362

That's a pretty strange hybrid between a work coat and a tweed jacket. The bellows pockets seem like a bit too much, sort of screws with the lines which are otehrwise pretty nice. It's certainly interesting though, I sort of like it.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I don't like trovata b/c the jacket I tried last year was very ill fitting and made in china or something ridiculous like that. Left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't think their quality was that great and way too much for pieces not made here or somewhere respectable.

I've got too many blazers and I need more conventional yet unconventional jackets if that makes sense.

Right now I have:

uppercut denim deconstructed blazer with random loose threads
brown herringbone ben sherman with red lining
camel velvet pinstripe (super low nap) br blazer
navy wide stripe ted baker wool blazer

LA guy is on the lookout for some pimp **** for me, ain't that right Fok?
laugh.gif

Goblin

Reaction score
Brown Carhartt chore coat. Got it on sale, and it's been ridiculously durable. With a pair of gloves and some layers, it gets me through the winter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads