• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outdress the boss?

gotmikey

Reaction score
So, I've been working at the same company for five years and when I first started my attire was trousers and dress shirts. The company dress code of basically anything but shorts and flip flops drove my dressing habits to jeans and polos over the years, but I've come back full circle and have started to dress closer to normal business attire. My problem is my Vice President boss wears jeans and polos with white sneakers EVERYDAY. This poses a bit of a conflict as I'm trying to dress professionally but don't want to show him up. Again, I've been at the company for five years and my boss and I work great from what I can tell, but I don't want to do anything to potentially disrupt a fine working relationship. I'd love to hear your thoughts and thanks in advance. Great forum!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gotmikey
So, I've been working at the same company for five years and when I first started my attire was trousers and dress shirts. The company dress code of basically anything but shorts and flip flops drove my dressing habits to jeans and polos over the years, but I've come back full circle and have started to dress closer to normal business attire. My problem is my Vice President boss wears jeans and polos with white sneakers EVERYDAY. This poses a bit of a conflict as I'm trying to dress professionally but don't want to show him up. Again, I've been at the company for five years and my boss and I work great from what I can tell, but I don't want to do anything to potentially disrupt a fine working relationship. I'd love to hear your thoughts and thanks in advance. Great forum!

do a search. this gets discussed every few months

Nexus6

Reaction score

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
The Rubinacci guys outdress their wives all the time, so I think the answer is yes.

- B

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of times it is not the dress bot the attitude of the dresser. It is fien to look a little nicer then everyone else at times as long as your not putting off an image that you see yourself above others because of your style habits. Try also by not drawing attention to the fact that you are better dressed, use simpler colors and patters as to refrain from sticking out like a sore thumb. You never know, they might take notice and start enhancing their own style.

Dorian Gray

Reaction score
I outdress both my bosses all the time. They find it amusing. Just find the right balance. If I was appearing with my boss in front of the press I would make sure not to outdress him. Around the office it's no big deal. Of course I have to wear at least a jacket and tie (if not suit) four out five days a week. So it is a little easier and less noticeable when outdressing one's peers and higher-ups. Try a suit without a tie. Linen/wool/knit ties with trousers. Odd Jackets instead of suits.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I had a boss once who started dressing better because of me. Of course we were kinda in a competition re the ladies in the office.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the better part of the past decade I have made it a practice to always outdress the boss(es), whoever they might be. So far, no repercussions that I can perceive. For that matter, I always outdress every other male co-worker...by a wide margin.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
For the better part of the past decade I have made it a practice to always outdress the boss(es), whoever they might be. So far, no repercussions that I can perceive. For that matter, I always outdress every other male co-worker...by a wide margin.

And are you now higher up than any of those bosses?

cannan

Reaction score
I think its hilarious that people on this site get entirely to caught up on what they put on their body everyday for the office. I have a deputy director that wears Converse All Stars 4 days out of the week. We also have the clothes whores that dress to the 9's everyday and barely make enough money to afford the monthly payment on their Hyundai.

In my opinion your work ethic and attitude should trump the clothes that are on your body. Obviously their are occupations where this doesn't hold true. But for us basic "office" types that is how it goes.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do everything better than your boss. Then it won't be long before you are his boss.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
Do everything better than your boss. Then it won't be long before you are his boss.

His boss is the VP..........................................

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads