Outdoor Grills

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by kronik, Apr 23, 2008.

1. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

As I understand it, quicker cook times, the food stays more moist, and you are using MUCH less charcoal. Build quality is in there somewhere too, I am guessing.

2. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Grilling is best done over real charcoal, at low temperatures for a long time. It is the traditional way to barbecue, and it gives you food with a flavor that is unavailable elsewhere.

Well, it takes a little time to get the fire going and the grill hot. The Egg gets a lot hotter than other grills because of the material of the body. I think it reaches 750+ degrees. It is more like a steakhouse oven, so the cooking time is very short.

Matt, you've contradicted yourself a little bit here. You've advocated the Big Green Egg, which you're saying reaches very high temperatures, but that the best way to grill is at low temp for a long time.

I'm largely in agreement with your comments re: gas vs. charcoal - I am a huge proponent of charcoal over gas. And I've heard great things about the Big Green Egg, which sounds very versatile and high-quality.

But not all grilling needs to be done barbecue style, e.g. low and slow. Many foods do benefit from long-term cooking over low temps, but that is not a universal rule. Some foods benefit from faster, hotter cooking - steak being the prime example. You'd never slow-roast a filet mignon, or even a rib-eye... you'd end up with a mushy mess.

Sinewy foods like ribs benefit from slow, low-temperature cooking and smoking because of their high sinew/cartilage/gristle content. Over long cooking periods, these sinews dissolve into the juicy goodness you can only achieve through BBQ cooking.

As for gas grilling, although charcoal gives much better flavor, you just can't totally discount the ease of gas grilling. I have a cheap gas grill that gets a lot of weeknight use and is still just fine for most steaks, kebabs, and burgers when I don't have the time or the inclination to go through the whole charcoal rigamarole. That said, I'd never blow huge wads of cash on a giant built-in gas grill.

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Matt, you've contradicted yourself a little bit here. You've advocated the Big Green Egg, which you're saying reaches very high temperatures, but that the best way to grill is at low temp for a long time.

Not really contradicted, it does both. I find that it both gets hotter, and stays at a cool temperature better than other grills, although I prefer to cook steak elsewhere. My response was only to J's question about time for grilling a steak. As to the rest, I agree with you.

4. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

I'd love to have the time, space and materials on hand to do charcoal sometimes, but gas is just more conventient.

I live in a central London flat and dont keep a car here. There really isnt anywhere to store charcoal and I'm not going to lug it back from the store every time I want to cook.

Gas is delivered and carried up the stairs for me. A tank should last most of the season, and when its empty, they will come and pick it up and drop off a full one

And on top of that my girlfriend and I can walk in the door and be cooking within 10 minutes

K

5. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

I'd love to have the time to do charcoal sometimes, but gas is just more conventient.

And on top of that my girlfriend and I can walk in the door and be cooking within 10 minutes

K

This is the very reason why my gas grill is just as important as my charcoal...

6. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

For me, BBQ is more like an event so I really don`t mind the extra time and preparation needed to get the charcoal going. I just use a regular Webber, but that Big Green thing looks very interesting [​IMG]

If I wanted to save time and effort, I wouldn`t be doing BBQ and my wife would be doing the cooking in the kitchen, as usual.

7. denimdestroyedmylife

8. Southern-Nupe

To be honest....both gas and charcoal, are inferior to actual wood. If we're going to be grilling elitest, wood is the way to go.

9. denimdestroyedmylife

10. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

I usually use a blend of Mesquite Lump Charcoal and regular Charcoal. The Mesquite, by itself, burns a little too hot, IMO.

11. Southern-Nupe

I agree. Wood is best.
    I wish I had enough room in my backyard to build a nice stationary pit, that would be large enough to use actual wood.

12. denimdestroyedmylife

I wish I had a giant petrified redwood tree in my backyard that I could cut down and hollow out the trunk to use as a barbecue pit of sorts.

13. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

Cooked out on the gas grill last night.

Charcoal would be fun for having a bunch of people over, but in this case a buddy showed up with some beer, and we just threw some burgers and chicken on the grill.

Eazy fo schneezy.

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Currently smoking a pork butt in my Big Green Egg [​IMG][​IMG].

15. fftfft

fftfft Senior member

Currently smoking a pork butt in my Big Green Egg [​IMG][​IMG].

[​IMG]