• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outdoor Furniture?

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for some outdoor furniture for my patio. I know alot of companies like Pottery Barn make stuff that is supposed to be for the outdoors, but is it really? I don't want to keep storing the cushions inside, is there anything out there that is rugged enough to withstand the elements?

Cavalier

Reaction score
One of those things I'd just get off Craigslist, nice mesh ones have always been fine for me.

If you do decide on one with cushions, you have to get a large weather proof storage chest to keep near by (can often double as a table depending on height/size)

Just one of those things I don't see any point in blowing $$ cash on unless you live in a "Frontgate" style home and feel a need to maintain/portray that sort of image...

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also despise dealing with cushions and covers but my wife prefers them. We met in the middle and have recycled plastic Adirondack chairs and dining chairs. Our table is teak, which when properly cared for is very low maintenance (i use golden teak weathered gray and sealer). For all of this I just hose off when they look dirty and re-seal the table once a year. For our more lounge / outdoor living room space of the yard we have crest swivel chairs and Crescent sofas. Cushions are attached and made out of sunbrella fabric. I cover them. Not as easy as the other chairs, but not too hard to maintain.

I have these from Loll around my fire pit. After 4 years they look brand new

1603565589732.jpeg

I use these chhairs around a teak dining table from DWR. Have also held up well

1603565729040.jpeg

Last edited:

emptym

Reaction score
The only thing we have outside is a cheap plastic Adirondack chair that a neighbor gave to us years ago. Thinking of getting a wooden bench and one of these Magis spun chairs:

Anyone have it and can comment on it? In particular, I'm wondering how it ages. It's helpful to know that the Loll chairs has aged well (thanks @Lizard23). They're made of polyethylene, as is the spun chair. Were your chairs stored outdoors year round?

We've had a Primary Pouf indoors the past 6 years, and I was going to put it outside, but I noticed it has a tear on top.

Last edited:

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only thing we have outside is a cheap plastic Adirondack chair that a neighbor gave to us years ago. Thinking of getting a wooden bench and one of these Magis spun chairs:

Anyone have it and can comment on it? In particular, I'm wondering how it ages. It's helpful to know that the Loll chairs has aged well (thanks @Lizard23). They're made of polyethylene, as is the spun chair. Were your chairs stored outdoors year round?

We've had a Primary Pouf indoors the past 6 years, and I was going to put it outside, but I noticed it has a tear on top.

yes -stored outdoors year round (im in the northeast)

BigBadBernard

Reaction score
There are no cushions that are going to withstand the elements and that you will want to sit on after they have done so. If you don’t want to store them inside and don’t have a handy garage then outdoor cushion storage boxes that are largely weatherproof are available from makers such as Keter, but they are far from stylish.

as for the furniture itself, there is a vast range depending on what style you wish to go for. I have a load of Fermob furniture in my back garden, which I leave out all year round (in wet old England) and it’s holding up just fine after 19 years.

DLSee84

Reaction score
You want cushions made from reticulated foam. It's like a mesh so doesn't retain water if it gets wet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads