• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outdoor Brick Oven

ccc123

Reaction score
Can any one share experience with building design and using an oven - I have done lots of research with prefab and custom designs, and visited sites like Oven Crafters, The Brick oven bake page, FornoBravo, Le Payol, etc etc. just wanting to see if any SF members have an oven, and what there experiences are, do you use it as much as you thought you would?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ccc123
Can any one share experience with building design and using an oven - I have done lots of research with prefab and custom designs, and visited sites like Oven Crafters, The Brick oven bake page, FornoBravo, Le Payol, etc etc. just wanting to see if any SF members have an oven, and what there experiences are, do you use it as much as you thought you would?
Personally I dont have one, but a friend of mine has a custom made one, made out of bricks. They designed it and had a contractor make it. They use it occasionally as a family for dinner, but it is great when we have huge BBQs with friends and family. He throws at least 5 bbqs a year with friends and family. We live in Canada so our BBQ season is 4 months a year. hahaha....

freespirit

Reaction score
I have been interested in one for a while. I have family friends who have one and absolutely love it. I was going to go the route of building one from bricks in place, but from some research, and speaking with an Uncle who is a chef, he suggested i could make one out of a metal drum. Which, yeah it would be smaller but it would be portable and such.

PM me if you want more info on it.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by freespirit
I have been interested in one for a while. I have family friends who have one and absolutely love it. I was going to go the route of building one from bricks in place, but from some research, and speaking with an Uncle who is a chef, he suggested i could make one out of a metal drum. Which, yeah it would be smaller but it would be portable and such.

PM me if you want more info on it.

I am planning on making one this summer. You take a 55gallon drum and cut it in half (length) and make a grill inside. It will be good for grilling but not bbqing. It will not retain heat that well to do low temp cooking, but it will be good if grilling over direct heat.

After some research about making one, i realized that it would be a lot more time consuming than I first anticipated. And it require getting a certain brick in order to get consistent heating around.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've made outdoor clay ovens. They're simple as **** and only take a day or so to build. You need almost zero actual ability to make a functional outdoor oven. Obviously, the art is in cooking with one and any and all design details you choose to add.
As for how much you will use it, likely not too often, but so what? Assuming you have the space in the yard, it will look cool, be fun to build, and be great on the few occasions you do use it.

DMcG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
I've made outdoor clay ovens. They're simple as **** and only take a day or so to build. You need almost zero actual ability to make a functional outdoor oven. Obviously, the art is in cooking with one and any and all design details you choose to add.
As for how much you will use it, likely not too often, but so what? Assuming you have the space in the yard, it will look cool, be fun to build, and be great on the few occasions you do use it.

Are there any good resources out there for those of use who haven't done this in the past?

Tangerz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
I am planning on making one this summer. You take a 55gallon drum and cut it in half (length) and make a grill inside. It will be good for grilling but not bbqing. It will not retain heat that well to do low temp cooking, but it will be good if grilling over direct heat.

After some research about making one, i realized that it would be a lot more time consuming than I first anticipated. And it require getting a certain brick in order to get consistent heating around.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/ is a fine solution. Portable and it grills like a beast.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love grilling outside, but it's only worth it if you live in a good climate.

Liam

Reaction score
If you plan on using it all late spring well into fall and have a design you like, why not go for it.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skidsm
this is more for smoking, but i've been planning on building one based on this plan for quite some time now, and it may provide a useful starting point. at any rate, it's an impressive piece of equipment.

http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/wdh.htm

Very nice. You can also just make a little area (or big) beside it for grilling. Problem solved. An all in one unit.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Brick Oven the OP is referring to is used for breads and pizzas. There is an excellent book, The Bread Builders, I believe it's called, that explains the process. Takes quite a while to build. I plan on building one this summer and will try and keep people updated. Here is a link to what I think the OP is referring to.

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/brickoven...tober2004.html

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads