• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outdated?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Someone informed me that no one used the devices, ibid, loc.cit, and op.cit, anymore for footnotes, etc. Have they become the grammatical equivalents of typewriters, and carburetors?

Is this true?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ibid is still all over the place. The others are quite rare in modern scholarship.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ibid. is still around. Don't see loc.cit and op.cit around much though.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think i see op cit sometimes...I haven't seen loc cit though. (In fact I don't know what it means.)

We had to learn ibid and op cit in high school, maybe earlier, for writing papers.

More recently I've written papers that contained the 'footnote' inside the text, i.e. (Campbell, p. 23). That seems pretty useful to me - you don't have to flip to the back of the book/paper. In those instances I would reserve the superscripted numbers and footnotes for actual expository notes that don't belong in the text itself.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The loc.cit device is used in lieu of op.cit when it is referring back to a work previously cited, and the same pages but with a break in the middle.

Joyce, James. Dubliners(Publisers) p.12
Ibid. p.45
Milton, John. Paradise Lost(Publishers) p.14
Joyce. op.cit., p.87
Milton. loc.cit.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so with the loc.cit (and also the op.cit, i guess), it's understood that the reader knows which source (Joyce versus, say, Eliot, whose footnote appears even earlier)?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by faustian bargain
so with the loc.cit (and also the op.cit, i guess), it's understood that the reader knows which source (Joyce versus, say, Eliot, whose footnote appears even earlier)?
I believe for numerous references, the author's name is given unless idem for a different text but same author consecutively is used. As in: Mann, Thomas. Buddenbrooks(Publishers) p.98 Id. Death in Venice(Publishers) p.87 Mann. op.cit. p.23 Grass, Gunter. The Tin Drum(Publishers)p.90 Mann. loc.cit.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, I use them sometimes; merely because I am anachronistic. However, that is almost a sure sign that their death knell has already sounded. Most of the time I am compelled to use those horrid paranthetical citations (MLA 2006, 13). If that is not a stupid idea, I don't know what is, for they break up, and unnaturaly pause, otherwise elgant prose.

Some of my Profs actually care more about the spirit of the notes rather than worshiping at the altars of form that are the MLA and APA; I pour my soul into work for them.

Regards,
Huntsman

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I rarely have the opportunity to write footnotes, but I jump at the chance to include "e.g., i.e., et. al., p.s, vs., Ph.D., A.D., A.M.", etc. in my informal memos and emails.

I was a Latin dweeb in high school. Now it seems only to be of use when doing the NY Times crossword.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Carburetors are still alive and well in many street and race machines. Many EFI systems can't hold up to the level of minute control provided by an "analog" throttle system.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Someone informed me that no one used the devices, ibid, loc.cit, and op.cit, anymore for footnotes, etc. Have they become the grammatical equivalents of typewriters, and carburetors?

Is this true?

My field doesn't use footnotes for citations so they (those thigns you mention) are rare. Ibid is one I never see. Op cit is more common. I'm honestly not heard of/seen loc. cit.

bob

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I believe for numerous references, the author's name is given unless idem for a different text but same author consecutively is used. As in: Mann, Thomas. Buddenbrooks(Publishers) p.98 Id. Death in Venice(Publishers) p.87 Mann. op.cit. p.23 Grass, Gunter. The Tin Drum(Publishers)p.90 Mann. loc.cit.
see, even in that instance: does 'Mann. loc.cit.' refer to 'Death in Venice' or to 'Buddenbrooks'? It might be confusing, unless the context of the footnote, in the body of the text, makes it apparent which book is being referenced.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
.... Most of the time I am compelled to use those horrid paranthetical citations (MLA 2006, 13). If that is not a stupid idea, I don't know what is, for they break up, and unnaturaly pause, otherwise elgant prose. ....
Point well taken. Luckily for me, I'm not an academic so I don't have to grapple with these issues.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads