• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Out of these shops, which are worth it?

Epsilon88

Reaction score
Dear Style forum members, This weekend I am going to hit Square One shopping mall near Toronto for the first time. Unfortunately I'm completely unfamiliar with these stores... do you mind recommending several stores where I can buy stylish/quality clothes for a relatively affordable price? To give you an idea of my budget: $50-70 max for a collared shirt, $50-70 max for pants, $350 max for a winter jacket, $100 max for a sweater. If you want to recommend a store that goes above these prices, then please still do but just write "$" beside it. I'm shopping for both casual wear and also more dressy stuff. I do like classy clothing. No formal wear. Pretty much I have to buy a full ward robe... Thanks for your help! Here's the list: Men Only Apollon Brogue Harry Rosen Hugo Boss International Clothiers - Affordable Le Chateau Menswear Roots Stars Menswear Stockhomme Tip Top Tailors Unisex Aeropostale - Affordable American Eagle Outfitters - Affordable Banana Republic - Affordable Bedo Bench Bluenotes Boathouse Broadway Fashion Buffalo -David Bitton Champs Club Monaco Eddie Bauer Esprit FCUK Foot Locker GAP GUESS? H&M Hot Topic Jean Machine Lucky Brand Jeans Mexx / Mexx Kids Nike Old Navy Parasuco RW & Co. Stitches The Spot Tilley Endurables Tommy / Tommy Denim & Kids Tristan Urban Behaviour Vacant West 49 Zero Edge

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
harry rosen, also if youre shopping retail you need to bump your budget or buy less items

Epsilon88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
harry rosen, also if youre shopping retail you need to bump your budget or buy less items

Thanks for your recc. What other way is there to shop? Online?

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harry Rosen is way over the price range you posted.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Epsilon88
Thanks for your recc. What other way is there to shop? Online?

im not discouraging retail it has its advantages, but since you ask, try the buy an sell pages here or ebay if you are comfortable with it (im not) or places like off 5th, last call, century 21 and the like
good luck

ktrp

Reaction score
As another canadian of limited means, I'll chip in regarding those stores I have personal experience with.

I'm not very knowledgeable about where to get t-shirts that teens would think are cool. You mention business casual type clothes, so I'll speak to that.

Any shirt with a collar that could be worn in a tie, to me, MUST be sized via neck/sleeve. Stores that sell 'medium' or 'large' shirts - I might be able to get a casual shirt, but never a dress shirt. That filters out quite a few. International Clothiers sell incredibly cheap low end dress clothes. Tip top and brogue would sell not very stylish dress clothes, but if you needed a cheap shirt to wear like ... tomorrow, that might be by choice.

Mexx or Tristan/America would have more stylish but fairly low end quality clothes at prices that may or may not be in your range, I can't remember.

Harry Rosen/Boss are out of your range, even on sale.

I would not recommend any of them unless you are in a rush. You can get hong kong based made to measure shirts in your price range. There are some sites where you can send measurements and receive shirts. Personally, I use Maxwell's Clothiers - they pass through the Toronto area twice a year, and they will measure you here, show you fabric samples here, make shirts there, then mail them to you. Including all duty/tax/shipping, you'd be looking at 160-180 for 3 shirts from them. They will be far better then anything else in your price range.

I would say that you cannot buy dress pants in the price range you quoted. Dress pants (i.e. wool) cost more then shirts. You can buy khaki's and so on. Try a few brands, see what fits you well. I buy khaki's/jeans/cords etc at the gap. I believe with current sales, I just paid 38 bucks for a pair of cords. Stick with slimmer fits. Banana Republic is Gap's 'higher end' line, Old Navy is the 'lower end' line. Old Navy doesn't have much in slimmer fits. I've bought t=shirts, shorts etc there. Do not buy anything at any of those stores for less then 20% off unless you have to. They have 25%-30% off sales pretty much every two weeks. The exception to that is the Gap Jeans, which seem to not go on as deep sale.

I buy merino wool sweaters at gap/banana republic. Even full price they're in your budget, and if you move during a sale, you can get merino v/necks or crews sub 50. I have no complains about the value - they don't last forever, but for the price I've been pleased. Eddie Bauer I haven't bought from in years, but 10 years ago I was okay with the price/quality ratio.

What style of 'winter jacket' are you looking for? Something warm, something warm and trendy with jeans, or a wool coat?

H&M is popular here. I've only browsed a few times. I think what you get there is VERY much in fashion stuff built like crap and at a (for fashionable stuff) low price. If you want a cheap suit to wear for a season that's in fashion, its a good bet.

ktrp

Reaction score
Forgot to add ...

Only reason for you to go into Harry Rosen is to try stuff on you might want to try to buy on the internet
wink.gif

doink

Reaction score
Since you are at square one, it may be worth a trip over to the heartland centre to the harry rosen outlet. Just be careful and know what things cost and are on sale for.

Epsilon88

Reaction score
Thanks for the reccs! It's clear that I'll have to up my budget a little.

Buying used is a great idea. Any ideas on the best discount / used retailers near Toronto, in Canada?

I'm looking forward to shopping soon.

buddha123

Reaction score
I do not see why you have to buy used. Are you unfamiliar with sizing?

There are many good quality dress shirts in B&S forum here in the $50-70 range (that would cost you $150-200 retail).

$50-70 is hard for dress pants. But Brook Brother's dress pants on sale can be found in that price range. Not the greatest stuff, but not bad price/quality ratio,

$100 can get you 100% cashmere PRL sweaters from time to time in B&S forum, and for cotton/wool, you are at retail price of J Crew and the such.

Not sure what you mean exactly by a "winter jacket" (presumably pretty heavy since you live in canada). But I would think $350 gives a lot of options.

I don't mind paying retail half the time because it saves time and is enjoyable in itself. That said, for the budget conscious, retail is not the solution.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ktrp
Only reason for you to go into Harry Rosen is to try stuff on you might want to try to buy on the internet
wink.gif

This. Also, try Brooks Brothers in downtown Toronto.

Topgoon

Reaction score
It highly depends on how long you plan on wearing them for and your body type. At this price range, it's hard to get quality, fit, and styling. Here's what I have to add.

Harry Rosen
With the current sales going on at Rosen, you might be able to find some merino wool sweaters (most likely the Rosen house brand) right at your limit ($100... +$13 tax). Not much else given the constraints. However, it might make more sense trying to get 2 sweater for the same amount at Banana Republic (also merino wool)

Tristan
My only experience at Tristan (Eaton Centre) went like this:
Salesgirl (shows me polyester pants)
Me: I'm looking for pants that are 100% wool.
Salesgirl: Huh? There's no such thing as 100% wool.

Mexx
A collared shirt bought for drinking activities back in the middle of uni 3 years ago is still wearable today after nearly weekly abuse so that has been a fantastic surprise. Not sure if that is still true today.

H&M and Club Monaco
You'll get the most value out of these places if you're a very slim person and have trouble finding well fitted clothing. Club Monaco is worst of the 2 for quality.

Hope this helps.

EDITED:
If we're not restricting things outside of Square One, I probably won't shop at Square One at all.
For Used:
Off the Cuff at Yonge and Eglington - pricey for used but very solid selection (designers only)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics