1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ottawans here?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Asian Afro, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Alter

Alter Senior member

Wow! Many many thanks to both of you!! Great recommendations! I actually worked at Domus, and a few other places in the Market, around 20 years ago so I am familiar with them but it sounds like Ottawa's restaurant scene has evolved a lot since then.

One of my friends mentioned Beckta and Whalesbone so I expect them to be on the itinerary at some point....but I will keep all the other recs in mind and try some of them also. I also have to get some poutine and drop by the Manx at some point. I will only be there for a week but let's see how much damage I can do in that time. Looking to be an epic visit actually. Thanks again, gents.

2. Geoff Gander

Geoff Gander Senior member

He stitched them. I also had him put toe taps on a pair of EGs, and he held them for only a few seconds before he turned to me and said it had been a while since he'd shoes of that quality.

3. Birks and Grey Socks

Birks and Grey Socks Senior member

With all due respect to the list above, lately I'm fond of

Town on Elgin St
    Benny's Bistro for a real European light lunch at a reasonable price. It's behind The French Baker
    I like Play a lot more than Beckta (same owner)
    Jean Albert for the best hole in the wall fried chicken shack
    4th Ave Wine bar

4. Thrifter

Thrifter Senior member

Feleena's on Bank St. if you like Mexican food.

5. Geoff Gander

Geoff Gander Senior member

The Smoque Shack (129 York) is wonderful. Try out their sampler platter for true carnivorous decadence (the piri-piri wings are truly agonising - and therefore worth trying).

For German fare, my favourite remains the Lindenhof (268 Preston) - a great family-run restaurant that's been around for donkey's years, If they still have it, their Sunday buffet breakfast is good.

Totoya (279 Dalhousie) is great for sushi - we go there regularly for our birthday dinners. If you like gourmet seafood, try Whalesbone (430 Bank) - fresh catches, and the menu changes regularly. Superb. They also have a fish supply shop at 514 Kent, where you can buy frozen fish and gourmet sandiwiches.

Some people say Zak's in the Market is the ultimate diner, but I find the Elgin Street Diner (374 Elgin) to be much better. Service can be slow on Sunday mornings, but they make it up to you.

6. Alter

Alter Senior member

Just wanted to thank everyone for the good suggestions. From the recommendations above I tried Whalesbone and Zen Kitchen. Whalesbone was really great and Zen was alright for a veg place. To counter the vegetarian fare I had a great burger and poutine at Hintonburger. Caffe 1870 in Wakefield was also notable for great beer and excellent food.

It was a great visit to Ottawa, and I was happy to see that the city hasn't changed much since I moved away 15 years ago.