• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OTR Two-Button, "Modern Cut" suit help

Johnnyscans

Reaction score
Hey all. I am in the process of ordering a suit from Thick As Thieves, but I do not believe it will be done in time for a few interviews, so i'm going to need to pick up another one, obviously in a different color, as I ordered a dark charcoal from TaT.

I went into Brooks Brothers factory store today just to size some suits, and the cut on the ones they had in stock were very drapey and power-suitish, even on my frame (6'1", 195 lbs)

I'm going to be around Tyson's corner (Bethesda, MD) later this week and Roosevelt Field (Garden City, NY) is only an hour from my house.

What are some good options and stores for a two-button, dark navy suit. Looking for a modern cut, nice and slim throughout, flat-front pants, etc. Budget is between $400-$800, nothing too expensive, but nothing too cheap.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I checked the stickies, and most people ended up suggested Thick as Thieves, which I am already in the process of acquiring. Any suggestions for OTR?

-John

gqreader239

Reaction score
have you tried cruising the high end department stores and seeing what they ahve to offer? Nieman and Saks have very nice suits that are modern cut. As far as price points its all over the place. But $800 should get you a nice suit on sale. always get it altered for you afterwards though.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try Nordstrom at Roosevelt Field

Johnnyscans

Reaction score
I was planning on dropping into Nordstrom, but i know their young mens department is full of Ed Hardy and crap jeans, so I was unsure of the quality of their men's wear. Any brand in particular they offer I should look at, or just start trying on and see what works.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnnyscans
What are some good options and stores for a two-button, dark navy suit. Looking for a modern cut, nice and slim throughout, flat-front pants, etc. Budget is between $400-$800, nothing too expensive, but nothing too cheap.

TaT (run by member GetSmart) is in your price range. Ralph Lauren Black Label on sale or B&S board are sometimes in your price range too despite less choices.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nordstrom's off the rack has decent to very good suits but unless the Nord's you hit stocks the italians... I find their suits to be as conservative as BB. My Nordy did, for a very brief while have Zegna and Canali but they, of course, are much pricier.

On a whim I asked for flat front dress pants and they said they don't stock any because the look is "too young" for their clientele...I said, you mean the same clientele over there dropping $500 for ratty jeans and a printed tee?

Johnnyscans

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
TaT (run by member GetSmart) is in your price range. Ralph Lauren Black Label on sale or B&S board are sometimes in your price range too despite less choices.

Already ordered a TaT, I might need the suit quicker than he can get it to me though, so I'm picking up another two button, just a different color. I'm going to eventually want both a dark charcoal and navy anyway.

Johnnyscans

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Nordstrom's off the rack has decent to very good suits but unless the Nord's you hit stocks the italians... I find their suits to be as conservative as BB. My Nordy did, for a very brief while have Zegna and Canali but they, of course, are much pricier.

On a whim I asked for flat front dress pants and they said they don't stock any because the look is "too young" for their clientele...I said, you mean the same clientele over there dropping $500 for ratty jeans and a printed tee?

I'm hoping that both the Roosevelt Field and Tyson's Corner Nordstroms should have some nice suits, they are both pretty hoity toity malls.

oldseed

Reaction score
no idea what you mean by modern cut, but H&M is slim, and u can try it in the store to boot.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 for black label.

Also check out Brooks Brothers Fitzgerlad and Regent cuts. Both are modern and trim. Also starting tomorrow, BB has a 25% off friends and family sale through Sunday, the 28th.

BBdude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnnyscans
I'm hoping that both the Roosevelt Field and Tyson's Corner Nordstroms should have some nice suits, they are both pretty hoity toity malls.

+1

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you're going TaT slim... I'd check out H&M slim line and if you can find on sale, check out Boss "Jam Store"(?) - their slim label, or D&G Martini (Slim line)

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oldseed
no idea what you mean by modern cut, but H&M is slim, and u can try it in the store to boot.

H&M is slim but the armhole is cut really low, even lower than Hugo Boss black label...

Johnnyscans

Reaction score
so Ralph Lauren Black Label, Hugo Boss Red Label, and those two brooks brothers cuts?

Other than the Rl store, are there any department stores that stock black label, ie: saks, nordstrom, bloomingdales

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads