• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OTR Dress Shirts

superseiyan

Reaction score
How can they be 15/15.5 neck or 32/33 sleeve? I see that all the time. Isn't a dress shirt either a sleeve length of 34 or 35? how can it be both?

Anyway for me IME I find 32/33 to be too short and 34/35 too long. I must obviously be a 34
smile.gif

This reads like an impromptu rant I know, was just curious how clothing can be sold as TWO measurements at the same time, seems contradictory.

(Oh and yes I know about MTM).

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Buy the longer one and have it tailored....Simple.

dasai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
Buy the longer one and have it tailored....Simple.
And never buy shirts that have collars marked with two sizes unless you're the larger size of the two.

superseiyan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dasai
And never buy shirts that have collars marked with two sizes unless you're the larger size of the two.

Agreed on the collar and the sleeve. I buy and tailor the longer...I just find it odd that it's sold as two simultaneous sizes.

Anyway, question: If one buys their *real* collar and sleeve length, from brands that sell single sizes (rather than combined ones), how much does one hove to take shrinking into consideration? Is shrinking enough of a factor to have to generally size one up, or is it overrated, with it being better to just buy ones own size?

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the averaged sleeve length typically comes with 2 buttons. tightening the cuff = effective shorter sleeve. thats how they sell em

marg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by superseiyan
Anyway, question: If one buys their *real* collar and sleeve length, from brands that sell single sizes (rather than combined ones), how much does one hove to take shrinking into consideration? Is shrinking enough of a factor to have to generally size one up, or is it overrated, with it being better to just buy ones own size?

First, don't buy garbage shirts. Second, don't launder them too hot. Good shirts properly cared for should not shrink. Price is irrelevant here as you can buy expensive crap and only wear it twice because it will shrink in the collar.

I like Brooks Brothers non-iron slim fit the most. Also, Ike Behar and Robert Talbott make great shirts. Some of the Thomas Pink shirts are good, too, but probably not worth 165. No shrinkage with any of the aforementioned shirts. Hugo Boss - forget it.

steezy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by superseiyan
How can they be 15/15.5 neck or 32/33 sleeve? I see that all the time. Isn't a dress shirt either a sleeve length of 34 or 35? how can it be both?

Anyway for me IME I find 32/33 to be too short and 34/35 too long. I must obviously be a 34
smile.gif

This reads like an impromptu rant I know, was just curious how clothing can be sold as TWO measurements at the same time, seems contradictory.

(Oh and yes I know about MTM).

Simple. The shirt is the larger size of the two so it can accommodate two different measurements.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads