• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Other Matuozzo

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There seems to be a belief that for a jacket/coat to drape and fit well, and have shape, that either the coat has to have an internal canvas, or that you have to use thick heavy itchy tweed. I would like to say that if the cutter is SKILLED enough, you do not need such things. Below are three jackets from Anna Matuozzo. None are the heavy itchy tweeds (in fact two are cashmere), and none have any internal support - all the shape comes from the way the coat is cut and stitched together. Btw, the jackets are NOT short, it is just the angle of the photo, and don't get on my case about the popped collar.. Anna wanted me to take the photo with the collar in that manner.

Here are some polo shirts that Anna made for a friend of mine . She does not like to make a short sleeve, but he wanted one for the summer. The brown is a merino/cashmere blend, the white is a midweight pique, and the sky blue is a mercerized lightweight pique.

And Matt, especially for you for making me hungry!

palloneig8.jpg

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
I really like the first jacket!
Very nice.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zegnamtl
I really like the first jacket!
Very nice.

+1 - beautiful.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
RE: last pic. Is that what americans call a calzone? The two examples seem to have some sort of internal support.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
RE: last pic. Is that what americans call a calzone? The two examples seem to have some sort of internal support.
I think it is a fried, stuffed pizza. Calzones I have had have all been baked. I think the high heat of frying just puffs it up more. Good stuff, Jan!

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Ahh.. therin lies the magic! The fried pizza has to be sampled to be believed!

Originally Posted by iammatt
I think it is a fried, stuffed pizza. Calzones I have had have all been baked. I think the high heat of frying just puffs it up more.

Good stuff, Jan!

Thanks Matt.

horton

Reaction score
It's amazing to me that so much Napoli styling is slim fit; yet they make (and I presume actually eat) fried pizza!

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by horton
It's amazing to me that so much Napoli styling is slim fit; yet they make (and I presume actually eat) fried pizza!

But they also walk almost every where, they do not drive to the mall or the market, they walk, they get out for coffee and stand around and chat, they do not run back to their desk with Starbucks, and so on. They also eat much smaller portions than we do here in NA. The same holds true for the French. You do not see nearly as many obese people (elderly ladies aside, we are speaking about the men)

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Very nice jackets, they look so light.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the coats, they look really nice. There are certain items (even for men) that are better made by a dressmaker than by a tailor. I'm almost certain, there will be some (probably fused) interfacing, at least on the underside of the lapels as well as taping along the seams..........What about an inside shot?

But those "Polo shirts"............they look hideous with the two-piece collars, interfaced with the heaviest cardboard available. Surely, Signora Matuozzi could have come up with a more appropriate shape for a casual collar.

Anna giveth and Anna taketh away.........interfacing that is!

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I think it is a fried, stuffed pizza. Calzones I have had have all been baked. I think the high heat of frying just puffs it up more.

Good stuff, Jan!

Wow. They look identical to a Vietnamese dish, called "banh goi". Only that the latter is stuffed with pork, lentils and rice noodles, I think.
2079788316_c7032e1892.jpg

banh-goi4-thumb.jpg

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
I like the coats, they look really nice. There are certain items (even for men) that are better made by a dressmaker than by a tailor. I'm almost certain, there will be some (probably fused) interfacing, at least on the underside of the lapels as well as taping along the seams..........What about an inside shot?

But those "Polo shirts"............they look hideous with the two-piece collars, interfaced with the heaviest cardboard available. Surely, Signora Matuozzi could have come up with a more appropriate shape for a casual collar.

Anna giveth and Anna taketh away.........interfacing that is!

I don't feel any fusing inside the lapels. The first coat is lined,the others are not.

As for the polo collars, the interlining is soft and unfused, and since they are new, the collar appears to look stiff but in fact it is soft.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zegnamtl
But they also walk almost every where, they do not drive to the mall or the market, they walk, they get out for coffee and stand around and chat, they do not run back to their desk with Starbucks, and so on. They also eat much smaller portions than we do here in NA. The same holds true for the French. You do not see nearly as many obese people (elderly ladies aside, we are speaking about the men)

Individuals aged 15 and over with body mass indexes (BMI) of 25 or greater, according to the World Health Organization as reported Forbes in February 2007 (BMI of 30 and over is clinically obese):

74.1% United States

45.5% Italy

40.1% France

(J., love the first coat especially.)

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads