• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Other brands that fit like RLBL?

Magnus357

Reaction score
So, I'm looking for a slim fit, narrow label, cotton suit. I live in Houston and work in an environment where I can't wear a sport coat without people asking if I'm going to an interview. I figure I can pull off a khaki cotton suit though, sans tie most likely. Plus, it'll be good for weddings that marsupials here in Texas schedule outdoors in June.

I originally thought that I could find something in the sub $600 dollar range just to beat around in. I'm a really skinny tall guy but I have 18.5-19" shoulders, so I'm a difficult fit. I looked at the BB Fitzgerald and the JCrew Ludlow. Both are really no go. Just too damn baggy. The JCrew suit coat was really a mess in terms of actual execution. Material wasn't bad, but damn was it a poorly cut coat. I could swim laps in the BB coat.

I made the mistake today of trying on a RLBL cotton suit coat. Damn did it fit really well. I'm not really sure that I want to jump up to $1800 for this suit though.

Does anyone else make a slim fit cotton suit? Does Canali make a 14000 series suit in cotton? How does it compare to RLBL? I believe Caruso makes RLBL, can you buy their suits independent from RL?

Thanks for any help!

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't waist your time with cotton. Contrary to common perception, it wears hotter than tropical wool or fresco. it wrinkles very easily, and you will have to press it after every wear.

Look around on Yoox.com for Caruso suits.

Magnus357

Reaction score
Don't waist your time with cotton. Contrary to common perception, it wears hotter than tropical wool or fresco. it wrinkles very easily, and you will have to press it after every wear.

Awesome. That's the type of advise I'm looking for. Does Caruso have a lot of different cuts? Is there a specific model I should be looking for or is slim the house cut there?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the use of waist instead of waste some kind of clever pun? If so, I don't get it.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try looking for a linen or seersucker if you can. A lightweight wool is another good option.

vida

Reaction score
There is nothing that compares to RLBL. I've looked.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd also say that RLBL has a unique look to it. I only wear skinny suits, and while I've worn skinnier suits, the RLBL hourglass silhouette is probably the most pronounced and pretty unique. There's something about the drop plus the shoulder padding (structured look) that make it stand out. It's almost too intense for me but very distinguished.

NHSkier

Reaction score

+1 Cotton is a pain ********** to keep wrinkle free. At least people expect linen to be wrinkled. Pal Zileri makes some nice sportcoats in 70% cashmere, 30% silk. Not sure if they do suits in that blend too. I doubt they're as slim as RLBL but a good tailor might be able to make it work. I'm 6'0 200 and wear 44 with an 8 inch drop and really like the Pal Zileri sportcoat I have.

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
I believe that YSL suits have quite similar fit to RLBL.....

I don't mind owning either of those brands.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're going to try Brooks you'll want the Milano, not the Fitzgerald. However it has a considerably softer shoulder than RLBL. While I doubt it's what you originally had in mind, they're currently offering the following:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...ort_by=newArrivals&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=

While I don't know how you'll take to the color it definitely works as a suit to wear in a non-suit environment, it could look good a little rumpled and you could even wear it with a polo type shirt (or other short sleeve sporty shirt) and it isn't just another khaki suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads