• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

otc's DIY liqueur adventures thread

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm starting this thread to share and keep track of the homemade liqueurs I attempt to make every once and a while. I feel like by the time I try to make something again, I forget what I did the first time around so this thread will serve as a reference and a way to share. I won't update all that often since there is a limit to how much I can make/drink (and some of these take a long time).

First Up: Coffee Liqueur!

I've made this before and this current batch has some modifications that I have already forgotten but here goes the original recipe for this simple rum-based coffee liqueur.

4cups water
4cups sugar
2cups rum
1cup ground coffee (fresh and on the coarser side)
1 vanilla bean (can substitute extract)
The first time I found this to be too sweet/not enough coffee so I cut the sugar and increased the rum. It was probably more like 3-3.5 cups of sugar and I substituted in some brown sugar to make it more interesting. I also used a full cup of coffee instead of a half (which my original recipe might have wanted). I also added a bit of extra rum (and my rum was about half mount gay and half bacardi this time around)

Make a simple syrup with the sugar and water (boil and stir until disolved) and allow to cool long enough that you can touch it.
Stir in the coffee grounds
Toss in the vanilla bean.
Combine with rum into a large sealable container (I used a gallon of milk).
Store in a cool, dark place for about a month and shake daily (at least for the first week or so, then you could start skipping days).
After a month or so, filter out the sediment. I use paper towels in a mesh strainer but cheese cloth would be ideal for the first pass.

Made enough to fill this bottle plus about 1.25L more

liqueur.jpg

This batch is still on the sweet side, but you can tell that it is a liqueur and not just a syrup. Has a good coffee taste but I personally might have preferred a darker roast. Overall I am quite satisfied.

Stay tuned, I might go for a more summery limoncello or something next.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great. Idea.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
+1. This is a really cool idea, I'm going to try this as well.

It gives you the option to make things with the best possible ingredients so that they taste strong and fresh and cost less than store bought alternatives (what does a liter of kahlua cost...$25-30 after tax?). Total cost on this batch was probably about $5 (although I bought the mount gay at the distillery in Barbados so it was dirt cheap).

It also lets you tone the flavors too your liking if you want more or less sweetness (or different herbal balances like when my grandpa makes his own bitters)

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
It also lets you tone the flavors too your liking if you want more or less sweetness (or different herbal balances like when my grandpa makes his own bitters)

This sounds really cool as well. I've always wanted to try making my own bitters.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll update when I do stuff...only issue is the time it takes to make them and the fact that it tends to take a long time to consume (less incentive to make something new if I haven't finished the last thing)

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
This sounds really cool as well. I've always wanted to try making my own bitters.
Me too. There is this recipe for Cherry bitters from the guys at Absinthe in Seattle that I very much desire to try. ~ H

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very cool but sounds like it would be too weak in alcohol content..

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Very cool but sounds like it would be too weak in alcohol content..

Well, most liqueurs are lower in alcohol content than the liquor used as their base. I started with 86 proof rum but I would guess the final product is closer in content to something like baileys or kahlua.

For vodka bases, you can use higher proof stuff or everclear to maintain some more alcohol content.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Well, most liqueurs are lower in alcohol content than the liquor used as their base. I started with 86 proof rum but I would guess the final product is closer in content to something like baileys or kahlua.

For vodka bases, you can use higher proof stuff or everclear to maintain some more alcohol content.

yeah but that sounds like its a 20 proof liquor which would suck...

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bespoke alcohol!!! This thread delivers!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads