1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Otabo  fine custom fit shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Shirtmaven, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

I was at the Collective yesterday.(The men's Trade show)
    There was a company there called Otabo That is making a custom fit shoe. Very high tech.

Does anyone have any experience with this company.

They had a machine that would scan your foot. Then the shoe was cut by machine.

2. JFK

JFK Well-Known Member

No experience with Otabo, but the foot-scanning sounds like what J. M. Weston uses to make lasts for custom orders (I tried to get a link to their custom orders page, but it's a Flash-based site, so I couldn't).

3. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

They have called me - I wasn't real enthused. He sent me his info and it looked better than it sounded. A couple of people have tried this before and it didn't work out. How did the shoes look to you? That's the question with this concept - are they shoemakers, lastmakers, marketers, pedorthists, what? And the whole computer image fitting system has not proven to be an end all - a talented last maker will know how to blend the fitting requirements with the shoes' personality. From my understanding, these types of 'custom' makers can turn out some technically accurate, but awful looking shoes. But it might be worth a conversation.

4. Urban Warrior

Urban Warrior Senior member

Last April while I was on vacation in S.Florida they had a buy one get one free promotion. I gave them a call and the way they explained was that they took an X-ray and matched each foot to a production shoe. Prices started at $500...I passed

5. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

The style were very nice. Leather was decent quality. REmember I am a shirtmaven and not a shoe maven, so there are others who would have different opinions.
    Most of the shoes had a synthetic sole. They had new models with leather soles.

My problem is that I wear an orthotic. They are attmepting to incoproate orthotics fittings into the proces, but are not ready to do that just yet.

6. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

Well, then they really don't do custom shoes. Sounds hokkey to me - just like I though when I talked to the guy. And synthetic soles?