1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Another Watch Thread for the Clotheshorse

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by norcaltransplant, Sep 2, 2006.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

How are Leroy watches?
    L.Leroy or Leroy et Fils were very well reputed French watchmakers who became the target of imitation due to the ubiquitous name. I know there is a currently extant Leroy, which seems to imply a tradition from the 18th century Leroy. I like Leroy et Fils's Deco creations, which are very practical, and discreet: [​IMG]

2. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

There are beautiful Leroys in the current Arnys catalog. Never having heard of them, I was curious.

3. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

OK, so I'm an amateur watch collector. Most of my pieces are hand-me-downs from my dad or gifts from relatives, loved ones. However, I have that appreciation for timepieces that suggests I may turn watch-collecting into a hobby given the opportunity and resources (recent college grad, etc.)

I wanted opinions on 2 pieces I was given as gifts recently:

1) Bernoulli Epoch in black/gold

[​IMG]
    http://bernoulliwatches.com/bernoulli/

I've done a not-so-through search trying to fetch whatever information I could about this maker but really wasn't able to come up with anything. If anyone here has any knowledge or would point me in the right direction, I'd much appreciate it.

Sorry to say but Bernoulli seems to be some a random semi-famous name plucked from history and atached to an inexpensive asian watch. They are available on ebay in large numbers for under $100. They use chinese movements and the watches themselves are assembled in Taiwan. It's an OK beater-type watch for the price. Probably better choice than a Kenneth Cole watch.

4. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Any opinions on this watch? I've been having trouble getting my hands on that Oris I wanted from an authorized dealer, so I'm thinking about this Hamilton.

[​IMG]

5. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

6. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

7. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I like that Hamilton, although at 40 mm, you may find it a bit small. Here's a good review from Timezone:

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...e&goto=1495636

Really? I thought that even 38 mm was okay for men. I'll probably get it from a brick and mortar store where I can try it on first. I've heard bad things about ordering watches over the internet off of the "gray market." Thanks for the link.

8. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Another dumb question:

Is there any point to owning a quartz watch from a high-end watchmaker? I flipped by a site selling watches by L Leroy, whom I understand to be a high-end, well-respected watchmaker, and in addition to chronographs and skeletons with mechanical movements was a simple quartz model at a lower price (although still quite expensive). Can someone explain?

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

40mm is small? That's very large.

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Another dumb question:

Is there any point to owning a quartz watch from a high-end watchmaker? I flipped by a site selling watches by L Leroy, whom I understand to be a high-end, well-respected watchmaker, and in addition to chronographs and skeletons with mechanical movements was a simple quartz model at a lower price (although still quite expensive). Can someone explain?

No, it's like owning an ebook of Diderot.

11. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

No, it's like owning an ebook of Diderot.

Good call.

12. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Really? I thought that even 38 mm was okay for men. I'll probably get it from a brick and mortar store where I can try it on first. I've heard bad things about ordering watches over the internet off of the "gray market." Thanks for the link.
    The 40 mm watch has become the standard size these days, much like the 25" TV. I thought from a previous post of yours in this thread that you were looking for a watch larger than 40 mm. It's definitely a good idea to try before you buy -- some watches wear larger than their measured size and some wear smaller.

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

In a way, I want the watches to get larger so the vintage gold watches in the 26mm range can be had for cheap.

14. Lint Brush

Lint Brush Senior member

I'd be happy to show you my Stowa Antea if you happen to be in New York City--I'm very pleased with it (but I'm partial to the Bauhaus design cues). A Max Bill by Junghans is another to consider, if you like that type of minimal styling. I bought a Nomos Tangente (superb watch) for my dad, but that's a bit higher price than the Antea/Jazzmaster range of things. And lordy, that Dornbleuth is nice looking . . .(but I may opt for an Eberhard Traverselto).

15. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I'd be happy to show you my Stowa Antea if you happen to be in New York City--I'm very pleased with it (but I'm partial to the Bauhaus design cues). A Max Bill by Junghans is another to consider, if you like that type of minimal styling. I bought a Nomos Tangente (superb watch) for my dad, but that's a bit higher price than the Antea/Jazzmaster range of things. And lordy, that Dornbleuth is nice looking . . .(but I may opt for an Eberhard Traverselto).

Thanks for the offer to show the Stowa - I live in NJ so I'm in NYC pretty often, maybe we'll arrange something if I'm going to be in the city some time soon.

16. jml90

jml90 Senior member

In a way, I want the watches to get larger so the vintage gold watches in the 26mm range can be had for cheap.
    At that point you could just buy a bracelet. Unless you could read that.

17. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Can I see it too? [​IMG]

18. Lint Brush

Lint Brush Senior member

Absolutely--we can coordinate a good time for interested parties (to ogle a sub-$400 watch, that is). I work in the golden triangle/rectangle of Aaron Faber, Wempe, Cellini and Tourneau. . .

19. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

I, too, would like to coordinate a meeting to check out a sub-$500 ETA like Stowa or even Limes, if someone has one of those. I think that price has a lot to offer for everyday beaters.

EDIT: It could be a junior TZ/SF get together.

20. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

At that point you could just buy a bracelet. Unless you could read that.
    I don't even know what that means; it's irrevelant. Look at this beauty at 24mm x 43mm: [​IMG]