OT: Another Watch Thread for the Clotheshorse

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by norcaltransplant, Sep 2, 2006.

1. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

My fiance's parents are buying me a watch and I've decided on this badboy right here, any objections?

[​IMG]

2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

My fiance's parents are buying me a watch and I've decided on this badboy right here, any objections?

[​IMG]

I'm not a big fan of the proportions (thickness of bezel vs. diameter) but if you like it, I have no objections. Out of curiosity, why did you decide on that particular watch?

3. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I'm not a big fan of the proportions (thickness of bezel vs. diameter) but if you like it, I have no objections. Out of curiosity, why did you decide on that particular watch?

Well, I was looking for a watch with a brown leather band (to go along with all my brown shoes) and a white face and Stainless Steel case. Norcal recommended Oris as a good brand. Anyway, I went to Tourneau over the weekend to look at watches in the flesh and found this one to be quite nice and it looked good on me. It's 40.5 mm, but I'm a big guy at 6'2" 205 so I needed something a little bigger. Finally, it's available on the internet for $805 and I was trying to stay within their price range, which is less than $1000.

4. gdl203

Well, I was looking for a watch with a brown leather band (to go along with all my brown shoes) and a white face and Stainless Steel case. Norcal recommended Oris as a good brand. Anyway, I went to Tourneau over the weekend to look at watches in the flesh and found this one to be quite nice and it looked good on me. It's 40.5 mm, but I'm a big guy at 6'2" 205 so I needed something a little bigger. Finally, it's available on the internet for $805 and I was trying to stay within their price range, which is less than $1000.

Fair enough. You know that you can put a brown leather band on virtually any watch you like, right? It should not drive your purchase decision at all...

In the <$1000 category, it is not a bad choice, although I would probably go for a Stowa (e.g. Antea or Marine below) or a classi Hamilton (e.g. the Linwood below)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

How about something like this:

[​IMG]

6. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

gdl and dmax, thanks for the suggestions. Those Stowas actually look very nice and have the aesthetic that I am trying to go for (kind of a plain elegance). Any ideas where I can check those out in person?

7. gdl203

gdl and dmax, thanks for the suggestions. Those Stowas actually look very nice and have the aesthetic that I am trying to go for (kind of a plain elegance). Any ideas where I can check those out in person?

Unfortunately, they have a direct sale business model so no authorized dealer that I know of. all their watches are sold on their www (http://stowa.de/shop/cgi-bin/lshop.c...gesamt_zeilen=)

Your best bet to see one in person is to post on TimeZone or PMWF and ask if there's any owner in your area who would be willing to meet for coffee...

8. Thurston

Thurston Senior member

I've been fascinated by watches most of my life and have indulged that fascination for about the last 6 years. I've been fortunate enough to own many great watches from most of the major manufacturers. I haven't bought anything since Christmas, which is far and away a record for me in the last 6 years. I have my collection down to 10 pieces now and would only really even consider selling one or two of them (the PAM 111 and the IWC 3714). I suddenly and unexpectedly had the desire to spend any time at all on the watch boards disappear about 3 months ago. I still love the watches, but I'm no longer interested in buying, selling, reading or writing about them. Strange...

[​IMG]

9. LegB4Wicket

LegB4Wicket Well-Known Member

Oris have been around for about 75 years now and make excellent watches that, with adequate care and servicing, will last a lifetime.

The Oris is a classic watch that will still be in style for decased to come.

You can't go wrong with that choice.

Regards,

LBW

10. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

My rotation as follows (without brand names):
    1) Pilot Chronograph, Silver Dial, 7750 movement
    2) Stainless steel Diver, Silver Dial, Power Reserve, on Bracelet
    3) S/S GMT complication, black military dial, with aftermarket black gator strap
    4) S/S dress watch, white face, S/S rice bracelet
    5) S/S Tank dress watch, blue dial, needs a new strap (possibly a navy blue alligator with deployant).

Don't be shy. Inquiring minds want to know the brands!

11. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

i've been thinking about buying something like this. i quoted a local omega reseller and they were pricing it at around $2,300, though i'm pretty sure it can go down to $2,100. any opinions? the aqua terra railmaster [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

i've been thinking about buying something like this. i quoted a local omega reseller and they were pricing it at around $2,300, though i'm pretty sure it can go down to $2,100. any opinions?

the aqua terra railmaster

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

yeah i would get this i am a big fan of omega watches! (or get 1 from TST[​IMG] if you want i can send it to you)

13. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

thans, but no thanks, luk-cha. i dont think the tst version can withstand the air pressure if you have it sent. [​IMG]

14. gdl203

acidicboy - have you tried one on in real life? what I mean is: are you aware of the gigantic size of the watch?

15. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

acidicboy - have you tried one on in real life? what I mean is: are you aware of the gigantic size of the watch?

yeah. the 42.2mm diameter model is huge. and there's even a 49.2mm face! the 39.2mm looks just right on me when i tried it on.