OT: Another Watch Thread for the Clotheshorse

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by norcaltransplant, Sep 2, 2006.

1. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Drizz, Ed, and others,
    How do you store your watches? Especially the automatics and manual winds with complications. I cant afford moon phases or perp calenders quite yet, but even the day-date function on my chrono is a bit annoying to reset every week after 5-days of rest.

EDIT: Can anyone recommend a good source for a wood or leather watch box? I was thinking about buying an Orbita second, but if you know any amateur woodworkers who wouldnt mind taking on a minor project for $100-150.

An uncle of mine actaully made me a very nice box, but something like this seems like it wouldn't be much of a risk although I'm not at all sure of the quality.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270023335526

2. Shopboy

Shopboy New Member

I have a lot of watches. My newest addition is the Club Chrome Watch from www.guyflash.com They have awesome watches. I am already looking at them to buy another one. You just have to love thoose watches

[​IMG]

3. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

My ideal watch collection would be 6-8 watches, with a mixture of Swiss and German, modern and vintage, and at least one in-house movement:

1. An all-around sports watch
    2. A watch with an interesting complication
    3. A chronograph
    4. A time-only dress watch, preferably gold
    5. A beater
    6. A quartz

Funds permitting:
    7. A fun watch
    8. A watch with some historical significance, either military or an iconic watch

I have slots 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6 filled.

4. andyw

andyw Senior member

Hi all..........been collecting for over 10 years and have culled the watches down to a manageable rotation. Over the years, I've had over 200 watches pass through the collection, from junk to high grade, and all have brought a special joy. I collect mostly older watches and limit my new watch purchases; my criteria is usually based on visual interest, then mechanical distinction. My daily rotation is broken down to sports and dress watches as follows:

Sports Watches (starting from the 7 o'clock position and clockwise in the photo)
    1) Blancpain Fifty Fathoms SS
    2) Ventura V Matic Large Chrono Titanium
    3) IWC Porsche Design World Timer Titanium
    4) IWC Ingenier Chrono Alarm SS
    4) Omega Seamaster 120M SS w/ Mesh Diving Bracelet
    5) Le Coultre Deep Sea Master Mariner SS
    6) Le Coultre Memovox Alarm SS
    7) Ventura V Matic Large Chrono SS

Dress Watches (from lower right to upper left in the photo)
    1) Hamilton 14K WG Piping Rock w/ WG bracelet ca. 1929 +/-
    2) Hamilton 14k YG Piping Rock ca. 1945+/-
    3) Omega SS Constellation w/ Bumper Movement
    4) Ebel 18K Sport 1911
    5) Cartier Large Tank SS

5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

An uncle of mine actaully made me a very nice box, but something like this seems like it wouldn't be much of a risk although I'm not at all sure of the quality.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270023335526

Just note the characteristic ebay issue: the purchase price of an item seems almost negligible - until you notice (hopefully before bidding) that the shipping cost is 400-500% more than the actual item cost.

6. Aureus

Aureus Senior member

A Swiss Army Officers Two Tone is my workhorse
    A vintage Gold Girard Perregaux w/ white face and brown lizard strap for dress
    A vintage stainless steel Bucherer w/ slate face and black lizard strap for dress
    A vintage stainless steel Omega Seamaster w/ white face and brown leather strap for dress

They are all hand-me-downs from my father.

7. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I have a lot of watches. My newest addition is the Club Chrome Watch from www.guyflash.com They have awesome watches. I am already looking at them to buy another one. You just have to love thoose watches

[​IMG]

ugly, hideous, garbage quality, of poor taste.... and i was just talking about your spamming!

8. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

norcaltransplant - good to see that you added some new pieces since our conversation at the SF dinner a few months ago [​IMG] As you may remember, I'm also very much into watches. The core of my collection is Panerai - three Luminor (115, 118 and 195) and two Radiomir (98 and 210) - but I also collect other brands (Dornblueth, Sinn, Omega, IWC, JLC, Glashuette Original...)

9. pinchi22

pinchi22 Senior member

How do you like your Dornbleuth? Time Zone praised it when I was checking out watches last year.

Steve

10. gdl203

How do you like your Dornbleuth? Time Zone praised it when I was checking out watches last year.

Steve

I love it.
    [​IMG]

I have had the 99.2 for a couple of years and I'm still impressed by the finishing of the movement, the simple but nicely finished case and the classic design.
    [​IMG]

I recently sent my watch to Dirk for repair and customer service is fantastic for such a small company. They gave it a nice case re-finishing and replaced some parts (like the crown below) that were not yet branded "D. Dornbluth" when my watch was originally produced (I have #36...) - all this at no cost [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. pinchi22

pinchi22 Senior member

Beautiful watch. Is there a long waiting list as Dirk turns out only 8 a month?

Steve

12. gdl203

Beautiful watch. Is there a long waiting list as Dirk turns out only 8 a month?

Steve

Not sure about the current wait list but I was under the impression they made 20-30 watches a month

13. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Not sure about the current wait list but I was under the impression they made 20-30 watches a month

They're making 6 per month and there's a 6-9 month wait. Their U.S. AD has a couple available for immediate purchase.

14. gdl203

They're making 6 per month

Are you referring just to the 99.2 or all models?

15. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

They're making 6 per month and there's a 6-9 month wait. Their U.S. AD has a couple available for immediate purchase.

Ron at Watchbuys?