1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

OT: Another Watch Thread for the Clotheshorse

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by norcaltransplant, Sep 2, 2006.

1. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Distinguished Member

Has anyone experienced a growth in their own collection? I've happily (painfully?) hit a nice plateau that can be rotated an entire business week without repeats. It seems a bit excessive though, like when I had to transport an edited collection of shoes to my sublet--and even that number was too many.

Anyways, does anyone have an interest in watches? Caught the bug, but have managed to maintain a tightly edited collection?

My rotation as follows (without brand names):
    1) Pilot Chronograph, Silver Dial, 7750 movement
    2) Stainless steel Diver, Silver Dial, Power Reserve, on Bracelet
    3) S/S GMT complication, black military dial, with aftermarket black gator strap
    4) S/S dress watch, white face, S/S rice bracelet
    5) S/S Tank dress watch, blue dial, needs a new strap (possibly a navy blue alligator with deployant).

Beater:
    Oris S/S 35mm white dial ETA 2892 movement
    Black faux lizard strap, will be changed to a brown pebble grain leather strap on deployant

2. zjpj83

zjpj83 Distinguished Member

I'm mostly off watches. I have a daily driver, so to speak (yellow gold with date and moon phases) and a manual wound dress watch (white gold with subtle diamonds at the hour markers).

3. colm-ccfc84

colm-ccfc84 Member

i have an emporio armani ar0115 watch

4. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Me too, I have a couple that I use (Diver, Chrono and wahtever you want to classify a Panny as). I still have a vintage Longines chrono column wheel movement that I hope to have Benzinger turn into a nice watch for me, but man, I can't do the brands that we talk about here and get into the watch craziness too. I'd have to live in cardboard box. [​IMG]

5. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

i have a kenneth cole stainless steel watch that i wear all the time. i like it; it's not that bad.

[​IMG]

6. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

I have a weakness for buying watches. I'm up to about 10-15 or so at the moment, of which six are Breitling. I have very few dress watches, though, just the one Lange and I guess my Bulgari Solotempo counts.

7. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Distinguished Member

Drizz, Ed, and others,
    How do you store your watches? Especially the automatics and manual winds with complications. I cant afford moon phases or perp calenders quite yet, but even the day-date function on my chrono is a bit annoying to reset every week after 5-days of rest.

EDIT: Can anyone recommend a good source for a wood or leather watch box? I was thinking about buying an Orbita second, but if you know any amateur woodworkers who wouldnt mind taking on a minor project for $100-150.

8. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

I wear a watch that's similar to this, except it's by the now defunct firm of C.H.Meylan, which was on par with Patek, et al: [​IMG] It's about 20mm by 40mm.

10. poorsod

poorsod Distinguished Member

I have the 1 automatic ETA 2834 with day-date that I use all the time. I can't imagine having more than another automatic to use in rotation because then I would have to wind them. [​IMG]

11. choya

choya Member

I have a Movado Faceto (in silver with a black leather strap) that I love and wear all the time. And I have a couple cheaper, designer brand watches that I mix in. I'd love to have some more, unfortunately it's a very, very expensive habit to be serious about.

My grandfather has a Franck Muller that I've got one eye on. The damn thing costs more than I made all last year though! I'm not sure I'd have the guts to wear it outside the house - maybe to my own wedding/funeral, but that's about it.

12. xarope

xarope Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Very nice, I have a JLC master compressor memovox as my daily beater.

13. nemuu

nemuu Senior Member

14. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Drizz, Ed, and others,
    How do you store your watches? Especially the automatics and manual winds with complications. I cant afford moon phases or perp calenders quite yet, but even the day-date function on my chrono is a bit annoying to reset every week after 5-days of rest.

EDIT: Can anyone recommend a good source for a wood or leather watch box? I was thinking about buying an Orbita second, but if you know any amateur woodworkers who wouldnt mind taking on a minor project for $100-150.

On PMWF there is a sponser banner (gnomon watches I think) that has sub-100 winders if I remember correctly.

15. coatandthai

coatandthai Senior Member

Daily wear: IWC Aquatimer steel/rubber Dress: Vintage Vacheron & Constantin YG/croco Fun: Vintage Bueche-Girod Mercedes Grille (18k WG/Automatic movement) [​IMG]