• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OT: Another Watch Thread for the Clotheshorse

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced a growth in their own collection? I've happily (painfully?) hit a nice plateau that can be rotated an entire business week without repeats. It seems a bit excessive though, like when I had to transport an edited collection of shoes to my sublet--and even that number was too many.

Anyways, does anyone have an interest in watches? Caught the bug, but have managed to maintain a tightly edited collection?

My rotation as follows (without brand names):
1) Pilot Chronograph, Silver Dial, 7750 movement
2) Stainless steel Diver, Silver Dial, Power Reserve, on Bracelet
3) S/S GMT complication, black military dial, with aftermarket black gator strap
4) S/S dress watch, white face, S/S rice bracelet
5) S/S Tank dress watch, blue dial, needs a new strap (possibly a navy blue alligator with deployant).

Beater:
Oris S/S 35mm white dial ETA 2892 movement
Black faux lizard strap, will be changed to a brown pebble grain leather strap on deployant

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm mostly off watches. I have a daily driver, so to speak (yellow gold with date and moon phases) and a manual wound dress watch (white gold with subtle diamonds at the hour markers).

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Me too, I have a couple that I use (Diver, Chrono and wahtever you want to classify a Panny as). I still have a vintage Longines chrono column wheel movement that I hope to have Benzinger turn into a nice watch for me, but man, I can't do the brands that we talk about here and get into the watch craziness too. I'd have to live in cardboard box.
musicboohoo[1].gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a weakness for buying watches. I'm up to about 10-15 or so at the moment, of which six are Breitling. I have very few dress watches, though, just the one Lange and I guess my Bulgari Solotempo counts.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drizz, Ed, and others,
How do you store your watches? Especially the automatics and manual winds with complications. I cant afford moon phases or perp calenders quite yet, but even the day-date function on my chrono is a bit annoying to reset every week after 5-days of rest.

EDIT: Can anyone recommend a good source for a wood or leather watch box? I was thinking about buying an Orbita second, but if you know any amateur woodworkers who wouldnt mind taking on a minor project for $100-150.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
b_jlc_18ct_gransport.jpg

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear a watch that's similar to this, except it's by the now defunct firm of C.H.Meylan, which was on par with Patek, et al:
163.jpg
It's about 20mm by 40mm.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the 1 automatic ETA 2834 with day-date that I use all the time. I can't imagine having more than another automatic to use in rotation because then I would have to wind them.
musicboohoo[1].gif

choya

Reaction score
I have a Movado Faceto (in silver with a black leather strap) that I love and wear all the time. And I have a couple cheaper, designer brand watches that I mix in. I'd love to have some more, unfortunately it's a very, very expensive habit to be serious about.

My grandfather has a Franck Muller that I've got one eye on. The damn thing costs more than I made all last year though! I'm not sure I'd have the guts to wear it outside the house - maybe to my own wedding/funeral, but that's about it.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
Drizz, Ed, and others,
How do you store your watches? Especially the automatics and manual winds with complications. I cant afford moon phases or perp calenders quite yet, but even the day-date function on my chrono is a bit annoying to reset every week after 5-days of rest.

EDIT: Can anyone recommend a good source for a wood or leather watch box? I was thinking about buying an Orbita second, but if you know any amateur woodworkers who wouldnt mind taking on a minor project for $100-150.

On PMWF there is a sponser banner (gnomon watches I think) that has sub-100 winders if I remember correctly.

coatandthai

Reaction score
Daily wear: IWC Aquatimer steel/rubber Dress: Vintage Vacheron & Constantin YG/croco Fun: Vintage Bueche-Girod Mercedes Grille (18k WG/Automatic movement)
Benzdial.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads