1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Another Watch Thread for the Clotheshorse

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by norcaltransplant, Sep 2, 2006.

1. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Has anyone experienced a growth in their own collection? I've happily (painfully?) hit a nice plateau that can be rotated an entire business week without repeats. It seems a bit excessive though, like when I had to transport an edited collection of shoes to my sublet--and even that number was too many.

Anyways, does anyone have an interest in watches? Caught the bug, but have managed to maintain a tightly edited collection?

My rotation as follows (without brand names):
    1) Pilot Chronograph, Silver Dial, 7750 movement
    2) Stainless steel Diver, Silver Dial, Power Reserve, on Bracelet
    3) S/S GMT complication, black military dial, with aftermarket black gator strap
    4) S/S dress watch, white face, S/S rice bracelet
    5) S/S Tank dress watch, blue dial, needs a new strap (possibly a navy blue alligator with deployant).

Beater:
    Oris S/S 35mm white dial ETA 2892 movement
    Black faux lizard strap, will be changed to a brown pebble grain leather strap on deployant

2. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I'm mostly off watches. I have a daily driver, so to speak (yellow gold with date and moon phases) and a manual wound dress watch (white gold with subtle diamonds at the hour markers).

3. colm-ccfc84

colm-ccfc84 Member

i have an emporio armani ar0115 watch

4. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Me too, I have a couple that I use (Diver, Chrono and wahtever you want to classify a Panny as). I still have a vintage Longines chrono column wheel movement that I hope to have Benzinger turn into a nice watch for me, but man, I can't do the brands that we talk about here and get into the watch craziness too. I'd have to live in cardboard box. [​IMG]

5. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

i have a kenneth cole stainless steel watch that i wear all the time. i like it; it's not that bad.

[​IMG]

6. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I have a weakness for buying watches. I'm up to about 10-15 or so at the moment, of which six are Breitling. I have very few dress watches, though, just the one Lange and I guess my Bulgari Solotempo counts.

7. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Drizz, Ed, and others,
    How do you store your watches? Especially the automatics and manual winds with complications. I cant afford moon phases or perp calenders quite yet, but even the day-date function on my chrono is a bit annoying to reset every week after 5-days of rest.

EDIT: Can anyone recommend a good source for a wood or leather watch box? I was thinking about buying an Orbita second, but if you know any amateur woodworkers who wouldnt mind taking on a minor project for $100-150.

8. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I wear a watch that's similar to this, except it's by the now defunct firm of C.H.Meylan, which was on par with Patek, et al: [​IMG] It's about 20mm by 40mm.

10. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I have the 1 automatic ETA 2834 with day-date that I use all the time. I can't imagine having more than another automatic to use in rotation because then I would have to wind them. [​IMG]

11. choya

choya Member

I have a Movado Faceto (in silver with a black leather strap) that I love and wear all the time. And I have a couple cheaper, designer brand watches that I mix in. I'd love to have some more, unfortunately it's a very, very expensive habit to be serious about.

My grandfather has a Franck Muller that I've got one eye on. The damn thing costs more than I made all last year though! I'm not sure I'd have the guts to wear it outside the house - maybe to my own wedding/funeral, but that's about it.

12. xarope

xarope Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Very nice, I have a JLC master compressor memovox as my daily beater.

13. nemuu

nemuu Senior member

My baby, 70s Omega Constellation

[​IMG]

14. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Drizz, Ed, and others,
    How do you store your watches? Especially the automatics and manual winds with complications. I cant afford moon phases or perp calenders quite yet, but even the day-date function on my chrono is a bit annoying to reset every week after 5-days of rest.

EDIT: Can anyone recommend a good source for a wood or leather watch box? I was thinking about buying an Orbita second, but if you know any amateur woodworkers who wouldnt mind taking on a minor project for $100-150.

On PMWF there is a sponser banner (gnomon watches I think) that has sub-100 winders if I remember correctly.

15. coatandthai

coatandthai Senior member

Daily wear: IWC Aquatimer steel/rubber Dress: Vintage Vacheron & Constantin YG/croco Fun: Vintage Bueche-Girod Mercedes Grille (18k WG/Automatic movement) [​IMG]

16. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Drizz, Ed, and others,

An uncle of mine actaully made me a very nice box, but something like this seems like it wouldn't be much of a risk although I'm not at all sure of the quality.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270023335526

17. Shopboy

Shopboy New Member

I have a lot of watches. My newest addition is the Club Chrome Watch from www.guyflash.com They have awesome watches. I am already looking at them to buy another one. You just have to love thoose watches

[​IMG]

18. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

My ideal watch collection would be 6-8 watches, with a mixture of Swiss and German, modern and vintage, and at least one in-house movement:

1. An all-around sports watch
    2. A watch with an interesting complication
    3. A chronograph
    4. A time-only dress watch, preferably gold
    5. A beater
    6. A quartz

Funds permitting:
    7. A fun watch
    8. A watch with some historical significance, either military or an iconic watch

I have slots 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6 filled.

19. andyw

andyw Senior member

Hi all..........been collecting for over 10 years and have culled the watches down to a manageable rotation. Over the years, I've had over 200 watches pass through the collection, from junk to high grade, and all have brought a special joy. I collect mostly older watches and limit my new watch purchases; my criteria is usually based on visual interest, then mechanical distinction. My daily rotation is broken down to sports and dress watches as follows:

Sports Watches (starting from the 7 o'clock position and clockwise in the photo)
    1) Blancpain Fifty Fathoms SS
    2) Ventura V Matic Large Chrono Titanium
    3) IWC Porsche Design World Timer Titanium
    4) IWC Ingenier Chrono Alarm SS
    4) Omega Seamaster 120M SS w/ Mesh Diving Bracelet
    5) Le Coultre Deep Sea Master Mariner SS
    6) Le Coultre Memovox Alarm SS
    7) Ventura V Matic Large Chrono SS

Dress Watches (from lower right to upper left in the photo)
    1) Hamilton 14K WG Piping Rock w/ WG bracelet ca. 1929 +/-
    2) Hamilton 14k YG Piping Rock ca. 1945+/-
    3) Omega SS Constellation w/ Bumper Movement
    4) Ebel 18K Sport 1911
    5) Cartier Large Tank SS

20. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

An uncle of mine actaully made me a very nice box, but something like this seems like it wouldn't be much of a risk although I'm not at all sure of the quality.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270023335526

Just note the characteristic ebay issue: the purchase price of an item seems almost negligible - until you notice (hopefully before bidding) that the shipping cost is 400-500% more than the actual item cost.