• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oswald Boateng not a Good ol' boy

korinkahn

Reaction score
Enough of the Boateng Bashing, I do not understand why people are saying that he is not a true tailor, why the disrespect? What is everyones take on Boateng.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is he a true tailor or cutter? I'd always assumed not but a recent news article implied otherwise.

Anyway his clothing isn't to my taste but it doesn't offend me.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I'm probably one of the few who like Boateng on this forum. I have 2 of his suits (one from the "bespoke couture" (upper) line and one from the "saville row" (lower level) line). I can understand why most here wouldnt like his cuts. They arent business appropriate for the most part, with the high buttoning stance, very thin lapels, flamboyant fabrics. Jackets have nice waist supression tho, which seems to be a feature that many here prefer.

But anything from his diffusion line (OZ) I would stay away from, as the cuts and fabrics are nothing noteworthy and obviously the construction quality is much lower.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frankly I always though of Ozwald as more of a couturier than a true tailor, and I can see why the majority here dislikes him. I am actually quite enamoured of his Givenchy line, and I like what he does with more casual clothes.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like his sweaters. "Happy colours"

Morris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame
Frankly I always though of Ozwald as more of a couturier than a true tailor

I agree with this point ... Ozwald is more fashion influenced in his lines and cuts as opposed to the traditional SR tailor. This fora (and AAAC) tend to gravitate toward the latter.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boateng's fundamental problem is that he cannot make up his mind whether he is someone who lends ideas and his names to overpriced RTW clothing or else a bespoke tailor of repute.

The upshot is a confused mix of overpriced rags destroying the reputation which otherwise he might have.

However his businesses have a chequered history so it is perhaps understandable that he grabs what he can.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Boateng's fundamental problem is that he cannot make up his mind whether he is someone who lends ideas and his names to overpriced RTW clothing or else a bespoke tailor of repute.

You have to admit that many of the old-line Savile Row houses have been copying him in this regard, though. In particular - Gieves.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
You have to admit that many of the old-line Savile Row houses have been copying him in this regard, though. In particular - Gieves.

He has ideas which are worthy I would readily admit but one demands some exclusivity in the use of the name. You cannot really be RTW and bespoke.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
don't many, if not most, of the Row houses offer both nowadays?

The odd one may do but the traditional houses surely just offer MTM at an obvious entry point and full bespoke. Their loweer end offerings cannot by bought in chain stores as can Boatengs.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
The odd one may do but the traditional houses surely just offer MTM at an obvious entry point and full bespoke. Their loweer end offerings cannot by bought in chain stores as can Boatengs.

Gieves and Hawkes has long had a crappy fused RTW line. I believe Kilgour did at one point, too. Even Huntsman put their name on RTW, though I suspect it was better than the G&H offering. Anderson and Sheppard, I'm not sure but I wouldn't doubt it. The smaller houses, probably not.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SGladwell
Gieves and Hawkes has long had a crappy fused RTW line. I believe Kilgour did at one point, too. Even Huntsman put their name on RTW, though I suspect it was better than the G&H offering. Anderson and Sheppard, I'm not sure but I wouldn't doubt it. The smaller houses, probably not.

The Huntsman RTW did not impress me. Of course, I expect quite a bit from Huntsman, so disappointment was likely.

berlin report

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
He has ideas which are worthy I would readily admit but one demands some exclusivity in the use of the name. You cannot really be RTW and bespoke.

What about the couture houses who have RTW lines? This, apart from cosmetics, is what keeps those old houses from crumbling to the ground. Sure you should protect the traditions of the past but you should also face, if not embrace, the reality of the present if only to insure the future.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by berlin report
What about the couture houses who have RTW lines? This, apart from cosmetics, is what keeps those old houses from crumbling to the ground. Sure you should protect the traditions of the past but you should also face, if not embrace, the reality of the present if only to insure the future.
The French Academie initially banned those couturiers who had dared offer RTW back in the '60s.

Of course, there are still some very small ateliers who seem to only subsist on couture and RTW you can't even find such as Torrente.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads