• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Oswald Boateng not a Good ol' boy

korinkahn

Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2006
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Enough of the Boateng Bashing, I do not understand why people are saying that he is not a true tailor, why the disrespect? What is everyones take on Boateng.
 

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
2,455
Reaction score
4
Is he a true tailor or cutter? I'd always assumed not but a recent news article implied otherwise.

Anyway his clothing isn't to my taste but it doesn't offend me.
 

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Joined
Oct 27, 2004
Messages
12,240
Reaction score
250
I'm probably one of the few who like Boateng on this forum. I have 2 of his suits (one from the "bespoke couture" (upper) line and one from the "saville row" (lower level) line). I can understand why most here wouldnt like his cuts. They arent business appropriate for the most part, with the high buttoning stance, very thin lapels, flamboyant fabrics. Jackets have nice waist supression tho, which seems to be a feature that many here prefer.

But anything from his diffusion line (OZ) I would stay away from, as the cuts and fabrics are nothing noteworthy and obviously the construction quality is much lower.
 

Flame

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
1,700
Reaction score
56
Frankly I always though of Ozwald as more of a couturier than a true tailor, and I can see why the majority here dislikes him. I am actually quite enamoured of his Givenchy line, and I like what he does with more casual clothes.
 

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
2,455
Reaction score
4
I like his sweaters. "Happy colours"
 

Morris

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
124
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Flame
Frankly I always though of Ozwald as more of a couturier than a true tailor

I agree with this point ... Ozwald is more fashion influenced in his lines and cuts as opposed to the traditional SR tailor. This fora (and AAAC) tend to gravitate toward the latter.
 

GBR

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
8,547
Reaction score
718
Boateng's fundamental problem is that he cannot make up his mind whether he is someone who lends ideas and his names to overpriced RTW clothing or else a bespoke tailor of repute.

The upshot is a confused mix of overpriced rags destroying the reputation which otherwise he might have.

However his businesses have a chequered history so it is perhaps understandable that he grabs what he can.
 

Patrick Bateman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2004
Messages
1,099
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by GBR
Boateng's fundamental problem is that he cannot make up his mind whether he is someone who lends ideas and his names to overpriced RTW clothing or else a bespoke tailor of repute.

You have to admit that many of the old-line Savile Row houses have been copying him in this regard, though. In particular - Gieves.
 

GBR

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
8,547
Reaction score
718
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
You have to admit that many of the old-line Savile Row houses have been copying him in this regard, though. In particular - Gieves.


He has ideas which are worthy I would readily admit but one demands some exclusivity in the use of the name. You cannot really be RTW and bespoke.
 

GBR

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
8,547
Reaction score
718
Originally Posted by Get Smart
don't many, if not most, of the Row houses offer both nowadays?


The odd one may do but the traditional houses surely just offer MTM at an obvious entry point and full bespoke. Their loweer end offerings cannot by bought in chain stores as can Boatengs.
 

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
1,257
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by GBR
The odd one may do but the traditional houses surely just offer MTM at an obvious entry point and full bespoke. Their loweer end offerings cannot by bought in chain stores as can Boatengs.

Gieves and Hawkes has long had a crappy fused RTW line. I believe Kilgour did at one point, too. Even Huntsman put their name on RTW, though I suspect it was better than the G&H offering. Anderson and Sheppard, I'm not sure but I wouldn't doubt it. The smaller houses, probably not.
 

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Messages
16,118
Reaction score
1,113
Originally Posted by SGladwell
Gieves and Hawkes has long had a crappy fused RTW line. I believe Kilgour did at one point, too. Even Huntsman put their name on RTW, though I suspect it was better than the G&H offering. Anderson and Sheppard, I'm not sure but I wouldn't doubt it. The smaller houses, probably not.

The Huntsman RTW did not impress me. Of course, I expect quite a bit from Huntsman, so disappointment was likely.
 

berlin report

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2006
Messages
1,400
Reaction score
820
Originally Posted by GBR
He has ideas which are worthy I would readily admit but one demands some exclusivity in the use of the name. You cannot really be RTW and bespoke.

What about the couture houses who have RTW lines? This, apart from cosmetics, is what keeps those old houses from crumbling to the ground. Sure you should protect the traditions of the past but you should also face, if not embrace, the reality of the present if only to insure the future.
 

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 24, 2002
Messages
25,744
Reaction score
251
Originally Posted by berlin report
What about the couture houses who have RTW lines? This, apart from cosmetics, is what keeps those old houses from crumbling to the ground. Sure you should protect the traditions of the past but you should also face, if not embrace, the reality of the present if only to insure the future.
The French Academie initially banned those couturiers who had dared offer RTW back in the '60s.

Of course, there are still some very small ateliers who seem to only subsist on couture and RTW you can't even find such as Torrente.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

  • 7”

    Votes: 48 16.2%
  • 7.5”

    Votes: 103 34.7%
  • 8”

    Votes: 89 30.0%
  • 8.5”

    Votes: 33 11.1%
  • 9”

    Votes: 12 4.0%
  • 9.5”

    Votes: 7 2.4%
  • 10”

    Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 10.5”

    Votes: 4 1.3%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
432,028
Messages
9,268,293
Members
194,549
Latest member
illiterate
Top