• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ostrich vs. Gator Loafers?

Thoughts on these loafers

• Perfectly fine as an FU shoe in your rotation

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • FU, burn them with fire

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My rule of thumb is that I have to convince myself to buy something -- "It's half off" or "I've seen worse" or "It's kinda interesting" -- I leave it on the shelf.
Setting the price aside, do you really dig the item and would you want to be seen wearing it? Would you have wanted it if it weren't in the sale bin?
If you wouldn't have thought twice about it at full price, not even in a "hot shoe but too pricey" way, it's a bad purchase.

I agree to the above and I'll add

"Everyone on SF is trying to buy a pair!"

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree to the above and I'll add
"Everyone on SF is trying to buy a pair!"

Not sure what you mean by that.

However, I know I am keeping these:

DSC02198.jpg

They are kind of dressy and the ostrich are much more casual and I can see these as a throw-around summer shoe:

DSC02106.jpg

My girlfriend thinks I should keep both.

Last edited:

godofcoffee

Reaction score
Sounds like a great lady.

Black alligator is a classic, but I can see the appeal of all these pairs.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brown BB gators arrived today. I know there are some black shoe lovers out there but I cannot understand how anyone would choose the black over the brown. I guess if I already owned the brown and I just wanted a second pair I would pick up the black.
I will let the pictures do the talking:
DSC02203.jpg

Flash:
DSC02198.jpg

No flash:
DSC02199.jpg

DSC02200.jpg

DSC02201.jpg

absolutely beautiful shoes... congratulations P...

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The gators really float my boat. The ostrich, not so much.

It's not about the hide for me as much as it is about the shape/style though.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

not ostrich

Um, the shoes I posted look nothing like those.

I had planned on keeping both however...

I stopped by my local RL store and fell in love with a Purple Label overcoat and I picked up some Black Label shirts and ties. The ostrich I really love for casual wear and - decided to keep them. I was actually wearing them in RL and got multiple complement on them that day including people asking where they can get a pair.

The gators I think are beautiful but I don't know what to wear them with as they are very flashy and shiny but at the same time they are loafers.

So, for lack of knowing how to wear them and to help offset my RL purchase, they are currently boxed up ready to be returned (unless I'm convinced otherwise).

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The gators I think are beautiful but I don't know what to wear them with as they are very flashy and shiny but at the same time they are loafers.

Paging Spoo.
I got a pair from Ron Rider that are flashier than that. I wear them with brown-toned sport coats, olives, jeans, I just don't wear them too often.
To me, they are flashy casual (I think I just invented a new dress category, or perhaps I am just following in the Adidas of RunDMC :slayer:).

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Paging Spoo.
I got a pair from Ron Rider that are flashier than that. I wear them with brown-toned sport coats, olives, jeans, I just don't wear them too often.
To me, they are flashy casual (I think I just invented a new dress category, or perhaps I am just following in the Adidas of RunDMC :slayer:).

Whats up? I haven't been following the thread - what are you trying to match?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn you people :)

I do like them but Purple Label be some expensive ****. I gotta fund the habit.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown BB gators arrived today. I know there are some black shoe lovers out there but I cannot understand how anyone would choose the black over the brown. I guess if I already owned the brown and I just wanted a second pair I would pick up the black.
I will let the pictures do the talking:
[
Flash:
DSC02198.jpg

No flash:

quote]

I would go with the gators

These are BB (per Rider) from a few years ago

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads