• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ostrich Skin Shoes--Would You? Could You?

pejsek

Reaction score
The title alone may be enough to raise the anxiety level of some members here, but that's not really my purpose. While continuing the cleanup of my storage room I came across this interesting pair of old bespoke Lobb loafers that I honestly didn't even remember buying. They were in a big box of shoes and still had the Goodwill tags on them. I must have bought them right when we moved into this house 7-8 years ago and then forgot about them.
They were very dry when I pulled them out. At first I thought they were made of some sort of treated or embossed calf--perhaps even the famed Russian Calf. As I cleaned them up and polished them, though, I began to see what appeared to be very faint quill markings consistent with what one sees on ostrich leather. I then went to the Lobb St. James site and was able to find the exact same model also done up in ostrich.
Anyway, here are the shoes. Lobb calls this a Norwegian Slipper with Laid on Lake and Shaped Two Eye Band:
dsc00571pu0.jpg

dsc00573ja0.jpg

dsc00594vp6.jpg

This is a really intriguing leather and I wonder if any bespoke makers use this sort of ostrich these days. The quill markings (if that's what you call them) are very faint, almost as if they had been rubbed down, and visible mostly on the lake. While distinctive, it doesn't scream exotic. If this sort of ostrich is still available, I think it could be a great choice for casual shoes--distinctive and tough, yet not too much so.
What do you think? Would you?

btw, here's the Lobb link:
http://www.johnlobbltd.co.uk/history/bwpages/16.htm

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pejesk, you seem to have a cache of interesting finds. If ever you find no use of them, certainly you can send them my way.

Either way, from what I've seen, ostrich is one of the more common exotic hides used by shoe manufacturers.

Your examples don't seem to be the Full Quill skin which apparently is the more desirable of the cuts since it shows off the fact that it's ostrich. I'm not familiar with the anatomy of an ostrich so I can't say what the name of the skin is.

Miguel Antonio

Reaction score
Those shoes are elegant and seem to be lacking something. Surely they would look better when you put them on.

Kaizen

Reaction score
When I bought a pair of boots with that skin, it was described as 'smooth ostrich'

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally don't like ostrich leather. But I did get a while ago two watchstraps from an English firm that had a nice colour and texture (don't have them anymore, could not match them with my pieces).

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smooth ostrich is still availbale and commonly used, but I honestly prefer the ostrich leg skin I find it more interesting.

janne melkersson

Reaction score
Smooth ostrich it is and it is cut from the belly. In my opinion the belly makes the finest footwear on both crocodiles and ostrich.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I must say it looks a lot better than full quill ostrich skin, which to me always looks like it has a skin disease. Ostrich leg is nice; sort of an alligator-type effect, but for shoes these look much nicer. Congratulations.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great shoes. Very discreet and classy.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
I must say it looks a lot better than full quill ostrich skin, which to me always looks like it has a skin disease. Ostrich leg is nice; sort of an alligator-type effect, but for shoes these look much nicer. Congratulations.

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to write. I've heard of ostrich belly before but not seen any, and I must say I quite like it for the right shoe -- I'd love to see it on a brogued cap toe blucher. Enjoy your rediscovery!

summej2

Reaction score
Does the creasing come naturally or is some form of crossboarding?

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen any shoes/boots made out full quill ostrich outside of cowboy boots.

distinctive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by janne melkersson
Smooth ostrich it is and it is cut from the belly. In my opinion the belly makes the finest footwear on both crocodiles and ostrich.

Crocodiles yes, I would have to disagree with ostrich. Certainly a matter of opinion. I would go with sharkskin or even elephant before ostrich.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads