• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oscars 2015: State of Formal Wear

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think I have ever seen so many shawl collars in my life. Not my favorite. I would say as usual Bradley Cooper carried the day.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't like tuxedos. I hope I never have to wear them. I will probably be one of those people who go to black tie events in a suit (though at least I'll make it a dressy suit fit. Either gray with white shirt black grenadine or navy peak lapel with white shirt and gray grenadine. Still, it may lead me to be uninvited to other such things. I assume there are a few knaves that do this, yes? If so, I'll join their number. If not...I'll probably get a tux)

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also prefer the shawl collar. You can wear peak lapels in tons of situations, why miss the chance?

jedwards

Reaction score
Re: John Travolta

Serious question is that what he really wore, or has it been photoshopped??

As usual though, from the stuff I have seen on the news covering the Oscars, best actor etc, there is really nothing noteworthy or especially elegant to see.
If you want to see black tie done well you in the 21st century, the only place seems to be places like The Rake Christmas party photos or Savile Row presentation at London Fashion Week etc.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for Neil Patrick Harris

First grey: Brunello Cucinelli Cashmere
Second black Shawl Collar: Dunhill
Third Burgundy/Marron DJ: Valentino
Fourth DB peak lapel tux: Zegna Couture
Fifth blue velvet DJ: Tom Ford

I loved the Dunhill and Tom Ford. Brunello Cucinelli also looked great. I'd pass on the two others...didn't like the puny lapels.

edit: Bradley Cooper wore Ferragamo
Chris Pratt wore Tom Ford. The shawl collar tux that Pratt wore looked absolutely awesome. Perfect lapel size and button stance.
Speaking of TF, that dude from PwC also wore TF, and it looked awesome. I'd say that TF stole the show, as far as tuxedos.

Ellar Coltrane (Boyhood) wore Isaia, by the obvious Isaia lapel pin.

Other than a million of Notch lapel/two-button Tuxedos, I enjoyed this year. Seems like most of the big players went pretty conservative and classic this year. Black one button peak or shawl lapel, nothing too crazy.

Surprised not to see more Midnight blue or double-breasted(peak or shawl) tuxes.

Last edited:

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, didn't catch that one. Pretty weird choice, as he's been the Tom Ford (Hollywood) poster boy nr. 1 for the past few years.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No...that is really what Travolta wore...I think he had his friend Tony from Saturday Night Fever dress him...

The shawl collar always just looks so casual to me. I like the peak look. Though I will admit: Chris Pratt looked amazing.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cooper's tux did look great, but the vest was terrible. It was two buttons too high for a perfect score. That said, at least he wore some sort of waist covering as the number of men showing white under their jacket was appalling.

Note: I realize I am being pretty critical, but at what other event do this many people have access to the best and brightest in the fashion industry?

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an aside, and despite some issues with notch, no waist coverings, and questionable tie/ shirt combinations, I felt like the majority of men got their fit pretty good this year. I didnt see too many people who wore their dad's tux.

Even Jared Leto's Prom costume from 1981 looked like it fit him pretty well!

tazmaniac

Reaction score

Interesting observation. I think I disagree. Any lower and it would disappear behind the jacket when buttoned.

No, I agree. The five button vest belongs on a suit. Mine has three buttons and forms a deep U. It allows to leave the coat unbuttoned. The five button vest on Cooper looks very Italian to me. That said, he still looks very good and certainly much better than anyone without any waist covering whatsoever.

On top of that, Cooper didn't feel the need to stick his hands into his pockets all the time. I think that looks terrible and inappropriate. Channing Tatum was one of the worst offenders. It's not only about the clothes, but also about how you wear them.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julieyboyd