• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oscar Hunt Tailors - Official Affiliate Thread

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If/when I'm next in Melbourne, perhaps I'll pop in and commission a charcoal suit from you. We'll see if I can wrangle the time.

Liber

Reaction score
Just booked some tickets to Melbourne for early next year, will definitely be coming to see you guys. I've only got 4 days, hopefully it's enough to work something out!

Oscar Hunt

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just booked some tickets to Melbourne for early next year, will definitely be coming to see you guys. I've only got 4 days, hopefully it's enough to work something out!

What dates are you in Melbourne? We'd certainly enjoy having you in the showroom! If you're wanting to book a fitting appointment then we always say the further in advance you book the better dates and times you have in our calendar.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boys - I need to come see you, I decided to put on a few kg's (muscle, of course) and need some trousers let out :embar:

Oscar Hunt

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Boys - I need to come see you, I decided to put on a few kg's (muscle, of course) and need some trousers let out
shog[1].gif

We can sort that out for you mate! At the moment our tailoring calendar is full, would sometime in January work for you? We're back from the break on January 12th.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds perfect! It'll be all shorts over summer anyway! I'll get in touch in the New Year and lock in a time :)

Oscar Hunt

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Co-Founder, Chris Edwards and Head Tailor, Oscar Lake spoke recently to Style Forum about the history of Melbourne-based tailoring house, Oscar Hunt. Their story gives a glimpse into their core business - made-to-measure suiting in Australia - and the difference they have achieved by establishing Oscar Hunt.

(Oscar Hunt Fitting Room One & Two)

How did Oscar Hunt begin? What’s the beginning of the story?

(Chris) The story really begins with travel and adventure. I have always had a love of suiting and while overseas, I visited many places each with varying takes on the experience of having a suit tailored. From England to India the emphasis was overwhelmingly placed on service. I wanted to bring that to Melbourne as I felt we did not have an accessible option in the city. To establish the business, I partnered with another Melbourne gent, Peter Kaylor, who shared my love for tailored suits. Oscar Hunt brings together the adventure of creating something truly unique with a modern take on impeccable, old-world service.

Have you seen an increase in interest around tailoring in Australia?

(Chris) Yes, absolutely. I think the Australian gent is beginning to realise that it really isn't that difficult to look great, using little effort, with a tailored suit in the wardrobe. I also think that guys are also beginning to understand that having a suit tailored specifically to you is a great experience. Without prior suiting knowledge you can sit down with the fitter, have a few drinks, select preferred fabrics, choose design elements, all safe in the knowledge that the end result will be excellent. It’s very different to a retail experience.

(Co-Founder Chris during their 2014' Winter Campaign - http://www.oscarhunt.com.au/new/oscar-2014.php)

Oscar you're a young Head Tailor for your age, what started your passion of tailoring?

(Oscar) My passion for tailoring developed when I was studying fashion design. The course was heavily structured toward women’s wear, and I came to realise that I didn’t know what women wanted from a garment as much as I thought I did.

That realisation set me upon a path that mimicked the structure of a top-down marketing campaign. I decided to learn the most difficult craft in menswear, and then if I wanted to open a denim label further down the track I would already be over qualified. These decisions lead me to begin training as an apprentice bespoke tailor at a small company in Armadale, Melbourne.

What’s your tailoring background? Where/when did you learn the trade?

(Oscar) After studying, which very briefly touched on menswear pattern making and bespoke construction, I taught myself as much as I could from very old tailoring books and constructed a few suits until I reached a point where I needed training from a professional. I learned bespoke trouser making as an apprentice, then after two years I trained an apprentice to take over from me, which allowed me to begin training as a vest and jacket maker, as well as cutting and fitting training for a further four years.

Learning the trade in a small business (two jacket makers, two trouser makers and one cutter) with all the manufacturing done in-house was a blessing. Many of the Savile Row bespoke tailors will send out cut cloth to bench tailors to construct garments for the cutters who work in the shop. Often two jackets for the same client will go to two different jacket makers and return slightly different. Whereas having all the knowledge and construction under the one roof made the quality and attention to detail of an exceptional high standard, and a great place to learn the trade.

(Head Tailor Oscar Lake)

As the Head Tailor of Oscar Hunt, do you oversee a team?

(Oscar) I oversee a small team of four tailors in our Melbourne showroom, as we complete all garment alterations in-house after fittings. Any technical training for our fitters and tailors is currently managed by myself.

How has the market for tailoring changed in Australia in the last 5yrs -10yrs?

(Oscar) The market is constantly changing for the better, both for companies providing tailored garments (bespoke or made-to-measure) and for clients with the decrease in price of suiting. Years ago only Brioni, Armani, Ralph Lauren offered made-to-measure at a price comparable to bespoke, making it unaffordable for most. The availability of luxury cloth and increasing trend of globalisation have made it simpler and cheaper for customers to have a range of options and prices for exceptional quality garments that fit well and don’t have the luxury price tag.

The change in the way Melbourne men dress is still developing slowly. More and more young and middle-aged men are leaving the T-shirts at home and opting for sports jackets and collars, lifting the desire amongst their friends and colleagues to dress well all the time rather than just for special occasions. Melbourne and the world will be a better place if tracksuit pants were worn only when commuting to and from the gym, but I think that’s still a few years off.

(Oscar Hunt members during their 2014' Spring Summer Campaign - http://www.oscarhunt.com.au/new/oscar-2014SS.php)

What are some of the challenges you have faced since opening Oscar Hunt?

(Chris) We are constantly looking at ways to improve our service. Whether that be a more convenient showroom location (we moved to Hardware Lane in May this year), sourcing unique fabrics from the best mills, travelling the world to be at the forefront of style and products, to even surveying our clients to make sure we have the best whiskey and wine selection in our bar.

Do you see Oscar Hunt expanding into new markets?

(Chris) Certainly. We hope to open a store in Sydney, Australia by mid-to-late next year and then hopefully continue to offer our service across the country and then potentially into Asia.

What is next for Oscar Hunt?

(Chris) In the immediate future we have some very exciting things coming up. Firstly, we'll be at Pitti Uomo again during January. We will be introducing our travelling tailor service so that we can bring the Oscar Hunt experience to you. We will also be launching a new website that will be ready for early 2015. On top of that we are increasing our product ranges to include more accessories, but also footwear, which we're all very excited about. And aside from our expansion into the Sydney market, there are a few more opportunities on the horizon.

(Oscar Hunt members - Steve, Lachie, Jules)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads