• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oscar Black Tie Do or Die Thread

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
Midnight blue lapels on a black dinner jacket is bizarre, but looks alright. Batman's jacket would be nice it fit better and were paired with a proper shirt and tie.

You referring to Renner? Pretty sure that's just the light reflecting and that they're actually black.

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
So te only problem that Jesse E. has was that he did not get his hair fixed?

I thought that his mop style is his signature. If he loses it, he may not be himself!

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
I really dont like the fact that EVERYONE is wearing tom ford, and the worst was probably russell brand, because it looks like he wasnt even trying to be outlandish.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only person who doesn't like to call it "dinner jacket" unless I'm really only referring to the jacket. When I'm talking about a tux I'm referring to the whole black-tie ensemble.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
Like shooting "ish" in a barrel"

2201267393_8210137656.jpg

This got cited on some of the red carpet commentary blogs as being the best men's outfit of the night, because it "was something other than a classical tuxedo."
crazy.gif

Apparently ugly is fine, as long as it isn't classical. What world do these people live in, and can I buy tickets to visit?

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Am I the only person who doesn't like to call it "dinner jacket" unless I'm really only referring to the jacket. When I'm talking about a tux I'm referring to the whole black-tie ensemble.

Depends where you are from. 'Dinner clothes', 'Evening clothes', 'Dinner jacket', 'Dinner suit' are all English, whereas 'Tuxedo' or 'tux' is American.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I think Tom Hanks had the best tux of the evening. Anyone know who made it?

+1. Not sure who made it but he looked good.

-LR

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gibonius
This got cited on some of the red carpet commentary blogs as being the best men's outfit of the night, because it "was something other than a classical tuxedo."
crazy.gif

Apparently ugly is fine, as long as it isn't classical. What world do these people live in, and can I buy tickets to visit?

THE_WIZARD_OF_OZ-186.jpg

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Depends where you are from. 'Dinner clothes', 'Evening clothes', 'Dinner jacket', 'Dinner suit' are all English, whereas 'Tuxedo' or 'tux' is American.

Plus with the Hollywood crowd, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a lot of mix-and-match going on, hence just being a DJ in many cases with tux or other trousers, not a proper dinner suit/tux.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gibonius

Personally, I'd rather stay away from such a place...if I'm not already in it!

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we're all in it to varying degrees, JLibourel. A sad indictment on the world today, perhaps, but nevertheless true.

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Renner looks fantastic. And I'm a fan of Brolin, but I don't know why his pants are so long, and why his head looks gigantic. Actually, a lot of these pics make the guys look like they have lollipop heads. Is that just because the pale skin pops against the dark background?

Matt S

Reaction score

You can call the whole ensemble a dinner suit. Call it a Tuxedo if you must, just not tux.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics