Orphans or sportcoat help

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by Peteypauls, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Peteypauls

Peteypauls New Member

Hey everyone. First post and addicted to the site. And also now addicted to eBay. As I'm looking at these three jackets I have I'm thinking all three are actually odd jackets. So not sure if I should return. The Birdseye does look like an orphan. Wasn't sure about to two others though. Thoughts? Your help is very much appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. breakaway01

breakaway01 Senior member

Your instincts are correct, I'm afraid. The second and third jackets are definitely orphans. I've seen glen plaid (first jacket) worn as an odd jacket but IMO it's better as a suit.

Welcome!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016

3. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

+1

4. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Probably 95+% of the time, when one thinks a sportcoat might actually be an orphan suit coat, that's exactly what it is.

It's like, nearly always there's a little voice inside one's head, saying, "You know very well that this is an orphan suit coat." But one refuses to accept this obvious truth, and instead clings to a microscopic hope that maybe, just maybe, against all odds, someone online somewhere will opine that it might be a sportcoat.

And things aren't helped by the fact that a huge percentage of the "sportcoats" being sold as such on eBay are, in fact, orphan suit coats.

5. Peteypauls

Peteypauls New Member

Well that sucks. Of course 2 are non returnable. thought i'd get away with the last one, but guess not. Thanks guys.

6. tmann202

tmann202 New Member

Just for my education, what makes them obviously orphans, especially the solid one?

7. tmann202

tmann202 New Member

Nada??

8. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

9. breakaway01

breakaway01 Senior member

Birdseye is more often associated with suiting. I don't want to come across as too dogmatic about this, though. The more you look at jackets and suits, the quicker you'll pick up on the differences. Some fabrics are much more likely to be associated with suits than odd jackets. Birdseye, nailhead, sharkskin tend to be suiting fabrics for example. Stripes (pinstripes, chalkstripes, etc) are almost always suits. Patch pockets are more likely to be associated with odd jackets. Metal buttons and mother-of-pearl buttons are more often found on jackets. Et cetera.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016