• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oris vs Cartier equivalent

PHV

Reaction score

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They both are $100/200 movements...

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(ernest @ 02 Jan. 2005, 3:58) They both are $100/200 movements...
yes, the Oris is a modified ETA, correct?
Probably. What do you expect of a $500 watch when many $5000 watches use ETA.? When you buy a Cartier, You pay the case, the bracelet and the name. Not the movement. When you buy an Oris, you pay less for the case and name. Oris is a better value for money. Cartier is better for pleasure and kudos. You said you did'nt want to pay the price of a tank so forget the roadster as it is more expensive. Buying a second hand Tank with 40% off would be the best option in my opinion. I do not like the Oris' index, I do not like the Cartier's crown at all.

PHV

Reaction score
(PHV @ 03 Jan. 2005, 12:59)
Originally Posted by ernest,02 Jan. 2005, 3:58
They both are $100/200 movements...
yes, the Oris is a modified ETA, correct?
Probably. What do you expect of a $500 watch when many $5000 watches use ETA.? When you buy a Cartier, You pay the case, the bracelet and the name. Not the movement. When you buy an Oris, you pay less for the case and name. Oris is a better value for money. Cartier is better for pleasure and kudos. You said you did'nt want to pay the price of a tank so forget the roadster as it is more expensive. Buying a second hand Tank with 40% off would be the best option in my opinion. I do not like the Oris' index, I do not like the Cartier's crown at all.
I don't mind buying a Roadster. If I was going to buy a Roadster, I'd buy the chronograph: http://www.2000watches.com/vshop....ex.html I'm just comparing value between Cartier and Oris. Since Oris does not offer a face that I like (the big numbers just don't seem very elegant to me), I will probably buy the Cartier, at a much higher price of course. As far as the tank is concerned, I may or may not buy the Frank. It's just very small on my wrist, so I want to look for other options.

shqiptar

Reaction score
The generic name for the watches you are comparing is Tonneau, which is any watch with a barrel-shaped case with two convex sides. The tank watches are the ones you mentioned in the other topic. If you are looking for tonneau alternatives, I'd suggest a Longines (La grande classique de Longines, or Evidenca) in either quartz or automatic movement. The roadster is an ugly one. I can not believe you're willing to spend $5k on something like that. Also, the above mentioned watches do not please my own taste, but if you want at all costs a tonneau, I would buy the Oris or something of similar price range. If you are considering a tank watch instead, the e-bay is awash with them. For example, this, or this could be a good buy considering their features and materials. There is an abundance of vintage or antique tank watches that are very beautiful, thin, timeless, and inexpensive. Just, type tank watch and see how many of them you'll find. If you are patient enough you could browse the stores that sell used antique watches for reasonable prices. I, myself, am having an old (50's) Longines tank watch in 14K gold fixed and serviced for me by my trusted watch repairman. I'm buying from him after many months of waiting patiently for the right one. Ernest is right in pointing out the use of the same movements in different brand names, but with outrageous price tags. Save the money. Just a friendly reminder.

PHV

Reaction score
The generic name for the watches you are comparing is Tonneau, which is any watch with a barrel-shaped case with two convex sides. The tank watches are the ones you mentioned in the other topic. If you are looking for tonneau alternatives, I'd suggest a Longines (La grande classique de Longines, or Evidenca) in either quartz or automatic movement. The roadster is an ugly one. I can not believe you're willing to spend $5k on something like that. Also, the above mentioned watches do not please my own taste, but if you want at all costs a tonneau, I would buy the Oris or something of similar price range. If you are considering a tank watch instead, the e-bay is awash with them. For example, this, or this could be a good buy considering their features and materials. There is an abundance of vintage or antique tank watches that are very beautiful, thin, timeless, and inexpensive. Just, type tank watch and see how many of them you'll find. If you are patient enough you could browse the stores that sell used antique watches for reasonable prices. I, myself, am having an old (50's) Longines tank watch in 14K gold fixed and serviced for me by my trusted watch repairman. I'm buying from him after many months of waiting patiently for the right one. Ernest is right in pointing out the use of the same movements in different brand names, but with outrageous price tags. Save the money. Just a friendly reminder.
I was prepared to spend on the Cartier given that I did not know of many alternatives in the tonneau design. I am at this point learning a bit more, and am gradually finding more, which is why I haven't made the purchase yet. In the evidenza line, I see some very attractive Tonneau pieces, I will definately consider. In the Oris price range, I think they are the only company making respectable Tonneau style watches (under $1000), so if I were to keep it around that price, that would be my only option, given my current research. Obviously when I move into the higher eschelons, my options are far greater, and now I can cross the Cartier off my list in favor of this Longines, and I actually just found another one that I really like. So far I guess I know that I can get a watch I like for at least $900, so that's not too bad. But like I said, I'm willing to pay the $5000 for a watch that I like, and the Tonneau style has really captured my interest. Of course, if I could spend under $1000 it would be ideal, but being realistic that probably isn't the case.

PHV

Reaction score
Having just looked more into Longines, I found a couple I really like. Unfortunately, I do not like the steel bracelets... and leather is too impractical for daily use. I wash  my hands fiendishly and am always afraid the water will spoil the leather, not to mention that the non chronograph Longines have very plain, boring leather bands.

Given similar price points however, between the Oris and the Longines models, which would you prefer? The Oris is slightly cheaper, has automatic movement (Longines - quartz), but does not have as attractive a face. I am leaning towards the Longines, in the low end market. I am going to have to explore the higher end (~$5000) later on, I am too tired to do it now.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The difference between the ETA movements used in the Oris and the Breitling is like the difference between the engines in a BMW 3 series and Mclaren F1, on the surface they are both BMW motors, but the ETA/Kelek movement is modified to such a large degree that it is not really similar at all to the original in terms of performance. IWC does a very good job modifying the ETA movements as well.

PHV

Reaction score
The difference between the ETA movements used in the Oris and the Breitling is like the difference between the engines in a BMW 3 series and Mclaren F1, on the surface they are both BMW motors, but the ETA/Kelek movement is modified to such a large degree that it is not really similar at all to the original in terms of performance.  IWC does a very good job modifying the ETA movements as well.
Is a cartier modified ETA movement comparable to an Oris modified ETA? What comments do you have regarding the Longines movement? It seems the model I like is Quartz.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I imagine the Oris uses a cheap ETA movement, there are a number of different ETA movements. As far as I know, the Roadster uses the Cartier/Bvlgari GP movement, which is this one: http://www.chronometrie.com/eta2892/eta2892.html You can see pictures and info about it here, this is ETA's best movement and is used in the Breitling Crosswind Special Limited Edition, Gerard Perrageaux, Bvlgari automatics, IWCs, and others, albeit in heavily modified form in the IWC and Breitling watches.

PHV

Reaction score
I imagine the Oris uses a cheap ETA movement, there are a number of different ETA movements. Â As far as I know, the Roadster uses the Cartier/Bvlgari GP movement, which is this one: http://www.chronometrie.com/eta2892/eta2892.html You can see pictures and info about it here, this is ETA's best movement and is used in the Breitling Crosswind Special Limited Edition, Gerard Perrageaux, Bvlgari automatics, IWCs, and others, albeit in heavily modified form in the IWC and Breitling watches.
This whole movement thing is giving me a headache. I'm starting to think I don't really give a ****. I'll just buy what I think looks good, unless I know that I am paying far too much for a crappy movement.

Hershey

Reaction score
This whole movement thing is giving me a headache. I'm starting to think I don't really give a ****. I'll just buy what I think looks good, unless I know that I am paying far too much for a crappy movement.
To make it simple, mechanical movements=natural fiber/hand stitching, and Quartz movements=polyester blend mass produced. Â There is a pecking order to mechanical movements, just like clothing. Â Generally just depends on how much you want to spend. Â Go to www.timezone.com if you really want to get overwhelmed, but buy what you like.
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads