• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Origins of the names Oxford and Derby?

darck

Reaction score
I've learned about the origins of the terms balmorals (from prince Albert's travel to the castle Balmoral according to Vass and Molnar) and bluchers (from field marshal Blücher who's soldiers wore boots with open lacing at Waterloo, according to Roetzel). But where does the names Oxford and Derby stem from? I've noticed that many makers or English shoes name their shoe models after towns - perhaps some particularly noteworthy shoemaker used the names Oxford and Derby for their models, and the usage got widespread?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Oxford comes from Oxford University, the first place that below-the-ankle lace-up shoes became popular. I don't know the origin of derby.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Oxford comes from Oxford University, the first place that below-the-ankle lace-up shoes became popular. I don't know the origin of derby.
Isn't a derby shoe, like the hat of the same name, named after the horse races at which the styles were popularized? Or am I just making that up again?
biggrin.gif

Aus_MD

Reaction score
Derbies were originally sporting boots, rather than shoes, and may have had buckles.

Aus_MD

darck

Reaction score
Thanks!

Oh, another question: which of the terms "Derby" and "Blucher" (and "Oxford" and "Balmoral") predates the other? From the stories, they all seem to have originated during the first half of the 19th century.

Aus_MD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by darck
Thanks!

Oh, another question: which of the terms "Derby" and "Blucher" (and "Oxford" and "Balmoral") predates the other? From the stories, they all seem to have originated during the first half of the 19th century.

"Oxford shoe" dates from the 18th century, Blucher (also originally a boot) from the early 19th century, Balmoral from the mid 19th century and Derby around 1900.

Aus_MD

darck

Reaction score
Wonderful, thanks! So the Oxford shoe predates the boots worn by prince Albert at Balmoral Castle? It is interesting that the older name Oxford still is around in Europe while the newer name Balmorals is used in the US. Is seems as if it typically is the other way around - US terms and customs are "older" than their Brittish/European counterparts.

Did the Derby's name come from the horse races as j suggested?

Aus_MD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by darck
Wonderful, thanks! So the Oxford shoe predates the boots worn by prince Albert at Balmoral Castle?

Originally called "Oxford-cut" shoes or "high-lows" (ie higher than a shoe, lower than a boot).

Did the Derby's name come from the horse races as j suggested?
This is not clear - it may be from the town, as I believe there was a cordwaining industry there.

Aus_MD

Aus_MD

Reaction score
The following is the first instance of "Balmoral boots", from Ewing Ritchie's Night Side of London (1858):

... let us look at London on a Boxing night. By daylight you would scarce know London. A new race seems to have invaded the streets, filled the omnibuses, swarmed in the bazaars and the Arcade, choked up the eating-houses and the beer-shops. Smith with his Balmoral boots, Brown with his all-round collar, Jones with his Noah's Ark coat, Robinson with the straight tie, which young England deems the cheese, delight us no more with their snobby appearance and gentish airs; to-day this is the poor man's holiday. You can tell him by the awkwardness with which he wears his Sunday clothes, by the startling colour of his ties, by the audacious appearance of his waistcoat. If he would only dress as a gentleman dresses, he would look as well, but he must be fine. Well, it matters little so long as he be happy, whether he is so or not; and let him pass with his wife and children, all full of wonder and delight as they stare in at the shop windows and think everything-how happy are they in the delusion! - that all that glitter is gold.
The more things change...

Aus_MD

darck

Reaction score
Again, thanks a lot! This is great information.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

Wha...manton...does...not...know...? Must...breathe...!
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads