Origins of the names Oxford and Derby?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by darck, Mar 9, 2006.

1. darck

darck Well-Known Member

I've learned about the origins of the terms balmorals (from prince Albert's travel to the castle Balmoral according to Vass and Molnar) and bluchers (from field marshal Blücher who's soldiers wore boots with open lacing at Waterloo, according to Roetzel). But where does the names Oxford and Derby stem from? I've noticed that many makers or English shoes name their shoe models after towns - perhaps some particularly noteworthy shoemaker used the names Oxford and Derby for their models, and the usage got widespread?

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Oxford comes from Oxford University, the first place that below-the-ankle lace-up shoes became popular. I don't know the origin of derby.

3. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Oxford comes from Oxford University, the first place that below-the-ankle lace-up shoes became popular. I don't know the origin of derby.
    Isn't a derby shoe, like the hat of the same name, named after the horse races at which the styles were popularized? Or am I just making that up again? [​IMG]

4. Aus_MD

Aus_MD Senior member

Derbies were originally sporting boots, rather than shoes, and may have had buckles.

Aus_MD

5. darck

darck Well-Known Member

Thanks!

Oh, another question: which of the terms "Derby" and "Blucher" (and "Oxford" and "Balmoral") predates the other? From the stories, they all seem to have originated during the first half of the 19th century.

6. Aus_MD

Aus_MD Senior member

Thanks!

Oh, another question: which of the terms "Derby" and "Blucher" (and "Oxford" and "Balmoral") predates the other? From the stories, they all seem to have originated during the first half of the 19th century.

"Oxford shoe" dates from the 18th century, Blucher (also originally a boot) from the early 19th century, Balmoral from the mid 19th century and Derby around 1900.

Aus_MD

7. darck

darck Well-Known Member

Wonderful, thanks! So the Oxford shoe predates the boots worn by prince Albert at Balmoral Castle? It is interesting that the older name Oxford still is around in Europe while the newer name Balmorals is used in the US. Is seems as if it typically is the other way around - US terms and customs are "older" than their Brittish/European counterparts.

Did the Derby's name come from the horse races as j suggested?

8. tricket

tricket Well-Known Member

Thanks for your information.

9. Aus_MD

Aus_MD Senior member

Wonderful, thanks! So the Oxford shoe predates the boots worn by prince Albert at Balmoral Castle?

Originally called "Oxford-cut" shoes or "high-lows" (ie higher than a shoe, lower than a boot).

This is not clear - it may be from the town, as I believe there was a cordwaining industry there.

Aus_MD

10. Aus_MD

Aus_MD Senior member

The following is the first instance of "Balmoral boots", from Ewing Ritchie's Night Side of London (1858):

The more things change...

Aus_MD

11. darck

darck Well-Known Member

Again, thanks a lot! This is great information.

12. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Wha...manton...does...not...know...? Must...breathe...![​IMG]