• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Original Montgomery Duffle Coat

HollyJoint

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
Winter is here, the cold too and I need a coat to protect from the cold but with a good look too.
I was thinking about Duffle Coat.
I plan to use it casually but I also wish I could use it in more informal situations like a lunch / dinner out, to go to some events etc.. is the duffle coat a good choice?
Thanks

HollyJoint

Reaction score
At first I was looking for a Gloverall but later I discovered on a recommendation the Original montgomery which costs half the price and seems to be of good quality, although not some details like the flaps in the pockets.
Could anyone have had such a coat tell me if it really is a good buy?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it were my choice, I'd get a Gloverall. The "original montgomery" version seems too short, to me.

HollyJoint

Reaction score
If it were my choice, I'd get a Gloverall. The "original montgomery" version seems too short, to me.

Short is not, is the traditional size, has 96cm will hit me by the knee.
As I see it, there are flaps on the pockets, buttons on the sleeves, and it's made of 70% wool and 30% mix fibers.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Short is not, is the traditional size, has 96cm will hit me by the knee.
As I see it, there are flaps on the pockets, buttons on the sleeves, and it's made of 70% wool and 30% mix fibers.
I don't understand your first sentence. But, I don't care, buy the one you want to buy.

HollyJoint

Reaction score
I just have to choose his color now, and I'm between navy and camel.
What should I consider besides my wardrobe to choose one of these colors?

Last edited:

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve just bought one of these for my four year old daughter. The workmanship looks quite good and the look is the spot on traditional British thing. Personally, I’d go for a 100% wool fabric though.

HollyJoint

Reaction score
I’ve just bought one of these for my four year old daughter. The workmanship looks quite good and the look is the spot on traditional British thing. Personally, I’d go for a 100% wool fabric though.

I found a few 100% there.
Even the most gloveralls are 80%.
I also prefer 100% wool but this one for the price (£ 150) I think it's a good deal

jayvee

Reaction score
Any more reviews of the original Montgomery vs the Gloverall Monty? Sizing in length appears to be the same although there are a few stylistic differences. Most notably the number of toggles, throat latch and hood construction. Permanent Style has s good piece on the Gloverall, but I am leaning towards the OG Montgomery because of the hood and throat latch.

SGTROCK

Reaction score
Original Duffle coats were about Peacoat length; not that long. WWII design came to knee length; today anywhere in between is acceptable. Patch pockets are true to the original also. I would prefer the Camel on the left with horn button. The patch pockets are convenient for gloves and I prefer them over the flaps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads