• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ordered a BB Navy Fitzgerald cut Blazer but not sure if it is the best for me... help :/

CaliforniaBears

Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently purchased a Brooks Brothers Navy Blazer in their Fitzgerald cut for about $480 after tax (25% off retail). It is to be worn in a business-casual/semi-formal environment at work.

While I am a fan of the brand name and the quality, I couldn't really tell if I was in love with the fit or not (though the associate and the in-store tailor felt it fit my shoulders just right). I have broad shoulders and a slim waist, so there was a bit of a crease in the shoulders (even with minimal padding). I also was disappointed this $600 blazer is made in Thailand.

I sort of regret purchasing it on the spot and am considering canceling my order because I feel there may be better options. What do you guys recommend? If a tailor were to construct a blazer, could I get something in the $500 price range that was good quality? How about MTM?

Last edited:

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pointless to ask about the fit without a picture.

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed.

Assuming you live in the United States, it is almost impossible to find a local tailor who can make a blazer in that price range. Maybe MTM for slightly more money. Brooks Brothers does that, by the way.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The MTM stuff you could get for a similar price range probably isn't worth getting, especially if you're new to the tailored clothing game. If you start up with something like Indochino, it will probably take you sending it back a couple of times and knowing exactly what needs to be done to finally get it right. What do you mean by crease in the shoulders? Without pics, really hard to say. But I wouldn't really trust a SA. Another option for slightly less is Suit Supply.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wore a navy Fitzgerald suit to an interview today. Great slim fit, still a touch conservative. Perfect

slimfit4me

Reaction score
Wore a navy Fitzgerald suit to an interview today. Great slim fit, still a touch conservative. Perfect

Their Fitzgerlad suit fits me nicely. A lot better than the slim suits I got from Macy's which are more roomy than the Fitzgerald. Good luck on your job hunt.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like everyone said, the fit on the Fitzgerald is very nice. My issue with the Fitzgerald blazer was the hopsack material and the fact that BB's navy is so dark it looks black. The BB return policy is very liberal. Just take it home without getting it altered, post pictures here for comments on the fit and think about it. If you change your mind, no issue returning it as long as it is unaltered.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, am I the only one bothered by the fact you have to look at the tags to tell whether a BB suit is black or navy?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads