• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Orchestral conductor needs to upgrade tails!!

Greg Luke

Reaction score
I'm an orchestral conductor and have two sets of tails that I use for concerts and performances. Both are generic and "entry-level" - for instance, one was a set purchased from a tux rental store.

It's time for an upgrade and I need advice for vendors that do custom tailored nice tails. Obviously not going to be cheap, but that's the point of the upgrade. Very few companies seem to do tails (obviously many do tuxes), so I'd love your advice!!! Ideally $5k or less.

Quesjac

Reaction score
Here's a few questions to begin: What's your location? RTW or bespoke? How soon do you need to upgrade?

Greg Luke

Reaction score
Here's a few questions to begin: What's your location? RTW or bespoke? How soon do you need to upgrade?

San Francisco Bay area in California. I'm not sure what RTW means, but it would be a little more traditional as it's for classical symphonic orchestra. There isn't a timeline, so getting it right would be more important than immediately! I do have two good generic tails, generic tuxes (2) and a good performance suit. Need to upgrade the tails but can take the year to get something nice made.

Greg Luke

Reaction score

Also, I'll be in London for concerts next summer and in DC this fall and get head to certain vendors - if there are exceptional people in those locations, would love recommendations there too.

Quesjac

Reaction score
Also, I'll be in London for concerts next summer and in DC this fall and get head to certain vendors - if there are exceptional people in those locations, would love recommendations there too.
RTW = ready to wear, ie. already made in a standard size. As you say, not too many makers still make tails RTW, though the more traditional English ones, eg. Ede & Ravenscroft, still do.

If you want bespoke you will have a very wide choice in London, at a range of prices and levels of quality.

I'd plan to visit a few tailors in London to have the conversation, as well as trying on the RTW models you like the look of, and take it from there. I don't know about tailoring in DC but others may chime in.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I use Steed for suits and sport coats. I'm sure Edwin, the cutter there, can do tails. Price is within your budget and they can meet you in London. They also travel to DC and San Francisco about four times a year, which would expedite things.

Their general house style is soft, sloping shoulders with a slightly fuller chest (what's known as a drape cut). The shoulders aren't as soft and rounded as what you generally see from Neapolitan tailors, but it's also far from what would be considered structured. That said, since they handmake all of their shoulder pads, I'm sure they can adjust for whatever you need. My general feeling though is to go with the house style on any first commission (regardless of the tailor)

http://steed.co.uk/

You can see some of their work here

https://www.instagram.com/steedbespoketailors/

There are some other tailors who come through San Francisco -- Huntsman, Poole, Sexton, Hitchcock, Anderson & Sheppard, WW Chan, etc. You can use Permanent Style's trunk show calendar to see who comes to the area

https://www.permanentstyle.com/trunkshows

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something you will want to ask a potential tailor about is how they will cut the coat differently for conducting. As you will have your arms up, the coat will have to be cut differently so that the shoulders do not rise up. It’s more than small armholes; the sleeve cap will also have to be quite flat as well AFAIK.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads