• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Orange tie

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found a nice orange tie, with some tan in it. It is pretty conservative as it looks almost solid colored. I really like the tie, but upon getting it home and looking at it with some shirts and jackets, it seems a bit bold. Maybe it is because I've never worn an orange tie before. It took me a long time to get used to mixing brown with all the blue I have in my wardrobe.

So, what do you think? What colors should I pair this orange tie with? The tan originally made me think that it would work with a navy blazer and khakis. What color shirt would look good?

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think I have ever seen a orange tie before. Do you have a pic of it?

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
I don't think I have ever seen a orange tie before. Do you have a pic of it?

Actually, no, I don't have a pic. It is mostly solid orange, with tan threads running diagonally to create small orange checks with a tan border. I really like the pattern, and the colors, but because of the colors, I feel it is a more casual tie, so I don't foresee myself wearing it with suits.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I happen to be wearing a tie at the moment that is a checker-plate pattern of orange, light yellow, light blue against a tan background, with a very light lilac shirt... if that gives you any help. Purple shades with orange are also lovely.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a solid orange Ben Sherman tie that I picked up as a lark for a wedding banquet. Agree it works fiercely with blue, but probably not something I would wear to work.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have several orange ties and wear them year 'round. Orange is my wife's favorite color, so if someone made an orange suit I would probably get one. I have rep stripes from Brooks Brothers, university-type stripes from Ralph Lauren, animal prints from Hermes and a few others. I agree that they go well with blue, and also grey and olive suits. You need to be careful about mixing too many bright colors, just as you would with anything.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Orange works well with both brown and green; very Autumnal.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Orange is not a favorite color of mine, but it looks good this time of year, especially if paired with browns and greens.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
I do also like Texas knocking off teams like Oklahoma and Ohio State but not enough to wear the tie.

Every time I wear a certain orange tie (and I do mean every time) someone asks me if I went to Princeton or Auburn or Bucknell or wherever and I have to explain that sometimes a tie is just a tie.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Not a big fan of Orange ties myself although I probably own a fair amount.

If anything, I prefer more of a pumpkin shade or a burnt sienna than a bright orange.

I do also like Texas knocking off teams like Oklahoma and Ohio State but not enough to wear the tie.

Is Manton a Sooner or a Buckeye?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Better answer:
With solid white, solid light gray, or solid cream, or maybe a solid faint green or solid light blue. Orange can push apart with blue or green, i.e., clash, and a typical patterned shirt likely will compete for attention with an orange tie. Personal coloring will have a major impact on the final result. With an odd jackekt and khakis is the safest route. With brown tweed could look impressive or at least keep the tie from being too much regardless of personal coloring.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 267 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.9%
  • 31 - 40