• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Option of fur on these 3

brianoh

Reaction score
I'm lucky enough to be a buddy of someone who works in fur for a top-end designer. He offered to put black mink on a coat for me for the cost of the fur itself at manufacturer's price (pretty damn cheap)..

I have the option of putting it on 3 things.

a.)
FurCollarCoat.jpg

Con- taking it on and off for when I go to work (it's not appropriate at my work)

b.)
ru_wool_university_peacoat_1.jpg

Not sure a peacoat would look right with fur on it, honestly.

c.)
6-1164.jpg

Think it would look the worst on that one, honestly.

If all 3 aren't an option, what sort of casual wear-out jacket do you guys think would look the best with black fur on the collar?

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my opinion the only way (for a man) to wear exterior fur is to have a big fur collar like the first one you posted.

The other two would look very bad with fur.

Personally I love fur but only on the inside of my clothes. I have three Juicy Couture rabbit-fur-lined hoodies (horrible brand, I know, but they have no logos or insignias whatsoever, they're actually very nice hoodies) and a sheepskin(?) lined Marc Jacobs bomber.

alexei

Reaction score
I would put it on the first if given those three options. It would look nice. Taking it off each day, though, is too much of a hassle. Black fur on black coat? Would people really disapprove to the point you have to remove it? If so, I would look at a different coat altogether. Don't put it on a peacoat. My second choice would be the third pic.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe
In my opinion the only way (for a man) to wear exterior fur is to have a big fur collar like the first one you posted.

You dont like it, Tom Ford's beaver?
frown.gif

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"I wear a suit 5/7 days a week. Was debating whether or not to just get the cropped Burberry trench or the Belstaff Roadmaster.. Can you wear a Roadmaster over a suit, or would that just look silly?"

brianoh,

The quote is from one of your threads. It seems you are determined to look silly?
lurker[1].gif

brianoh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
"I wear a suit 5/7 days a week. Was debating whether or not to just get the cropped Burberry trench or the Belstaff Roadmaster.. Can you wear a Roadmaster over a suit, or would that just look silly?" brianoh, The quote is from one of your threads. It seems you are determined to look silly?
lurker[1].gif

Thank god I got a Burb trench then. And for someone who has 130x+ more posts than I do, I hope you would give me some pointers instead of being so condescending. The fur on the overcoat might be a pain to take on and off, but keeping it off during the work week and snapping it back on on the weekends isn't too bad.. Thank you to everyone else gave me your 2 cents. Another option is to put it on a leather jacket that I own.. but it's very Diesel grungy.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I ask the mods that this thread be merged with one of the recent underwear threads.

- B

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
You dont like it, Tom Ford's beaver?
frown.gif

I said the only way a man can wear fur is if it's confined to the interior and the collar. Your TF has only a fur collar.
confused.gif
EDIT: and if I had all the money in the world to spend it would be #4 on my outerwear shopping list

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a pretty damn cool opportunity for you to have a coat that will be unique. I commend you for your initiative in striving to be less of a brick in the wall. Seriously, the way some people have reacted sounds as if you said you wanted to line you swimming trunks with mink.

My suggestion would be not to go too over board with the design, since I think fur on a man nowadays is already pushing for many.

of course a is the safest, obvious bet. But why not try it on c. If I had any sense in design, and I was not trying to do something mundane, I'd experiment with c. I just don't have any idea in these matters.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is manufacturer's price? Does your friend work where they make faux furs? If not, is he using real furs?

brianoh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
What is manufacturer's price? Does your friend work where they make faux furs? If not, are using real furs?

I'd rather not say how much I'm paying. It's real fur.. I can go up to using Sable, but it's 3x the price of mink.. and honestly, not worth it on the coat I'm putting it on.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brianoh
Con- taking it on and off for when I go to work (it's not appropriate at my work)

How exactly is it 'not appropriate'?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
How exactly is it 'not appropriate'?
The pea coat seems to casual for mink. If it were me, I'd get it on the overcoat in the first pic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads