• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimal frequent flier, hotel, credit card combo

rdaws

Reaction score
I've just been put on a project in Seattle, and will be flying there from Chicago once a week for the foreseeable future (3-6 mos). For projects closer to home, I've flown Southwest for their segment-based rewards which pay back much faster than any other airline for short trips. My question for the experts, then, is which Frequent Flier program should I commit to for the next few months, and is there a way to combo that with a specific credit card to get the max personal benefit?

After looking into it I'm thinking American Airlines, which allows for a "platinum challenge". For $240, you get platinum status after flying only 10K miles in 3 months (rather than 50K in a year). That would get me line skips, upgrades, and more points right away. What are you thoughts on that? Worth doing?

I think I have hotels figured out; I use the Starwood AmEx and stay in Starwood properties, which I've done on many past projects and it's worked out really lucratively. Open to suggestions though.

yirayira

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdaws
I've just been put on a project in Seattle, and will be flying there from Chicago once a week for the foreseeable future (3-6 mos). For projects closer to home, I've flown Southwest for their segment-based rewards which pay back much faster than any other airline for short trips. My question for the experts, then, is which Frequent Flier program should I commit to for the next few months, and is there a way to combo that with a specific credit card to get the max personal benefit?

After looking into it I'm thinking American Airlines, which allows for a "platinum challenge". For $240, you get platinum status after flying only 10K miles in 3 months (rather than 50K in a year). That would get me line skips, upgrades, and more points right away. What are you thoughts on that? Worth doing?

I think I have hotels figured out; I use the Starwood AmEx and stay in Starwood properties, which I've done on many past projects and it's worked out really lucratively. Open to suggestions though.

I personally cannot give you any recommendations, but if you haven't already you should ask on Flyertalk.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I use an AA Mastercard (AAdvantage World Elite, Platinum level) and log most of my miles on AA. I can tell you right off the bat that the credit card is a total waste. "World Elite" pretty much doesn't mean anything. In fact, many AA staff at major airports have never even heard of it. As far as I know, it's some marketing invention by Citibank and may not actually even be related to AAdvantage. So I give that card a thumbs down and a C- at best. As for AAdvantage itself, it's a pretty decent FF program. Not too many restricted windows for redeeming miles -- unlike with, say, United (I pretty much can't find a date with United that isn't blacked out each time I attempt to redeem miles there). Downsides to AAdvantage: miles are expensive to redeem (you actually pay the $140 "ticket issuing fee" to redeem them, which is marsupialed). Also, flights tend to cost a lot of miles. Finally, there is little distinction made by distance of flight vs. miles it costs. So a flight from LA to Vegas might cost 50,000 miles for a first class ticket, whereas a flight from LA to NYC on first class will also cost 50,000. Makes no sense whatsoever. My advice on AAdvantage is to redeem the miles opportunistically. Don't use 'em just to use 'em. You really have to pick your battles wisely. The upside of American's marsupialed miles calculation system is that it can be gamed if you know what you're doing and you're a quant whiz. A friend of mine, who's a McKinsey consultant and travels pretty much constantly, swears he has a system figured out whereby he gains more AA miles than he spends on the tickets, thereby initiating some sort of perpetual-motion-machine type of mileage use. I actually believe the guy. But I also believe it involves creative usage of company credit cards and personal AA mileage accounts.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IIRC, seattle/chicago is ~4400miles RT. You'll make silver after your second month assuming only miles.

Definitely look at Flyertalk and also look on the airlines websites. They sometimes offer special challenges that can really add up.

I've done platinum challenge with American and it's meh. $240 is an RT ticket to most US destinations and you'd still be almost a month before meeting it. If your project only goes 3 months, you'd only have 2 months at the higher earning levels. I'd build a spreadsheet to run the numbers, but I'm thinking you wouldn't win on a 3 month gig.

Seattle/Chicago is frequently oversold, so if you can work out a deal with a pal for lodging, you might be able to make the most in bumps.

NWA had the best program, but am not sure how it is with Delta or how often you would use it after this gig.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads