• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opportunity missed?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
While getting on the train this morning, I noticed a gentleman who was wearing what appeared to be a very nice blazer. Upon giving him the once over, I noticed, with horror, that his double vents were still fastened together by the little white X stitches. I wanted to reach out and pluck them off, but alas, the train had come and it was too late.

When do you suppose he will notice this foux pa?

cwh812

Reaction score
Won't notice it until he takes it off, unless someone tells him before. I did this once.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once while I was taking the subway with my girlfriend on the Upper East Side, I noticed this smug guy wearing a navy blazer with band-aid-colored-driving shoes. He still had the sleeve label (Brooks Brothers 346!) sewn on. I had the urge to say something, but left him in his ignorance. I didn't want to humiliate him in front of his friend. I saw the same thing later on near Central Park as well...

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
maybe never. i saw a guy with a pair of jeans ( i guess from the mall) and had the size plastic strip still on the back thigh.
laugh.gif

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People seem to always have the tags still on the sleeve of their jacket. It frustrates me. I always say something!

cwh812

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Once while I was taking the subway with my girlfriend on the Upper East Side, I noticed this smug guy wearing a navy blazer with band-aid-colored-driving shoes. He still had the sleeve label (Brooks Brothers 346!) sewn on. I had the urge to say something, but left him in his ignorance. I didn't want to humiliate him in front of his friend. I saw the same thing later on near Central Park as well...

I've seen this several times. I think some people think those are meant to stay on the sleeve. I thought that when I got my first suit when I was 15 until my parents corrected me.

davidsj

Reaction score
What do you guys think of pockets that are sewn shut? Sometimes I just leave them that way because it seems to maintain the pocket shape better. Of course it loses all functionality that way.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by davidsj
What do you guys think of pockets that are sewn shut? Sometimes I just leave them that way because it seems to maintain the pocket shape better. Of course it loses all functionality that way.

I dont mind that so much. Of course you still have to open your breast pocket to be able to insert a pocket square
wink.gif

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you think about sewn on maker tags at the end of the front placket of a shirt? A long time ago, I had bought a Banana Republic shirt and this tag was on the placket. Someone at work told me you are supposed to remove it.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by davidsj

I know some people recommend keeping them sewn closed, as this prevents you from the temptation of putting your hands in your pockets, which is considered not-so-elegant when wearing dressier clothing.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
I dont mind that so much. Of course you still have to open your breast pocket to be able to insert a pocket square
wink.gif

+1

It does make one chuckle to see the tags and such still on.

Luddite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nordicstyle
I know some people recommend keeping them sewn closed, as this prevents you from the temptation of putting your hands in your pockets, which is considered not-so-elegant when wearing dressier clothing.

Albeit less presidential.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
While getting on the train this morning, I noticed a gentleman who was wearing what appeared to be a very nice blazer. Upon giving him the once over, I noticed, with horror, that his double vents were still fastened together by the little white X stitches. I wanted to reach out and pluck them off, but alas, the train had come and it was too late.

When do you suppose he will notice this foux pa?

I know correcting someones English is in itself a faux pas. So I won't.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics