1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

OPINIONS: The best Leather and/or Suede Jackets?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RicoItaliano, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

How do you define "best"? The most stylish? Go for Gucci or Dolce & Gabbana. The best leather? Seraphin and other brands mentioned in this thread. The most enduringly classic? Schott and Lost Worlds. If I had $850 burning a hole in my pocket, I would buy this Buco Rider by Lost Worlds:

http://www.lostworldsinc.com/Leather...Buco_Rider.htm

2. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

3. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Scroll down to the illustration that touts the stain resistant quality of Grenfell cloth.

http://www.lostworldsinc.com/Grenfel...rench_Coat.htm

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Well, I hope she is wearing a Grenfell because it is she that will need the stain resistance [​IMG]

4. Nonk

Nonk Senior member

For military jackets, Aero Leather as mentioned, but also try Eastman. Members will appreciate the quality and effort that has gone into producing these replicas (as opposed to "inspired by" fashion items)

Gibson & Barnes provide a less anally authentic but quality alternative at a lesser price.

http://www.eastmanleather.com/

http://www.gibson-barnes.com/

Everyone should own an A2, M422A or an Irvin.

5. RicoItaliano

RicoItaliano Well-Known Member

So far from what I have seen I prefer a bomber type jacket with the slit pockets vs. flap. About the only other style is the sport coat type, don't care for the motorcycle jackets.

6. romafan

romafan Senior member

So far from what I have seen I prefer a bomber type jacket with the slit pockets vs. flap. About the only other style is the sport coat type, don't care for the motorcycle jackets.

I love my Lostworlds Suburban:
    http://www.lostworldsinc.com/Motorcy...Jacket_SBB.htm

7. tom2517

tom2517 Active Member

I vote for Hermes and Seraphin (in terms of leather quality). I have seen Brioni leather jackets but I don't think they are as nice as the hermes ones.

I am sure there are other outstanding ones, so this is an opinon based on the leather jackets that I have seen or wore.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Hermes, and Seraphin are a bit redundant since the latter makes for the former, at least now.

9. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

10. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Hermes, and Seraphin are a bit redundant since the latter makes for the former, at least now.

I believe that the former controls(owns) the latter.[​IMG]

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I believe that the former controls(owns) the latter.[​IMG]
    Hermes also controls Leica, and a whole lineup of niche luxury-type firms. And of course, John Lobb. It's really rather cynical when you think about it.

12. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Hermes also controls Leica, and a whole lineup of niche luxury-type firms. And of course, John Lobb.

It's really rather cynical when you think about it.

There seems to be a prevalent model with the French/Swiss groups.

13. j

j Senior member Admin

Okay -after everybody stops throwing tomatoes at the idea. Whats wrong with this Jacket from Banana Republic - $450?
    Nice looking jacket. BTW, I heard that Belstaff completely stopped making motorcycle clothing and is all fashion now. That would explain their major PR campaign including Mr. Sane himself over the last couple years.

14. tom2517

tom2517 Active Member

That is true.

I also want to add that Hermes leather jacket doesn't change much from season to season. Occasionally they will have a special piece or two. Such as lizard skin biker jacket in 2003 Fall/Winter I believe, and this year's red croc jacket, which NY Hermes has one for 68,000 USD. Although I do not know how anyone can get away with wearing one (in red color), it is one of those things that only looks good in shows or ads.

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

That is true.

I also want to add that Hermes leather jacket doesn't change much from season to season. Occasionally they will have a special piece or two. Such as lizard skin biker jacket in 2003 Fall/Winter I believe, and this year's red croc jacket, which NY Hermes has one for 68,000 USD. Although I do not know how anyone can get away with wearing one (in red color), it is one of those things that only looks good in shows or ads.

I really liked that lizard skin moto jacket.

16. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Okay -after everybody stops throwing tomatoes at the idea. Whats wrong with this Jacket from Banana Republic - $450?

The leather is not very good.

Hermes is probably the right answer, short of any little-known artisanal maker. I've seen nice coats from Marc Jacobs, Kiton, Dior Homme, and some others, but the quality is not at the level of Hermes. Just like with suits, though, fit is still the most important, and sacrificing a bit of quality for a better looking jacket is a good idea in my book.

17. tom2517

tom2517 Active Member

The leather is not very good.

Hermes is probably the right answer, short of any little-known artisanal maker. I've seen nice coats from Marc Jacobs, Kiton, Dior Homme, and some others, but the quality is not at the level of Hermes. Just like with suits, though, fit is still the most important, and sacrificing a bit of quality for a better looking jacket is a good idea in my book.

Yes, you nailed it. I think cut and fit goes before the quality of material.

18. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Hermes leatherwear starting price is $5K, no?

19. Demeter

Demeter Senior member

Anyone tried Andrew Marc, perchance?

20. well-kept

well-kept Senior member

I have worn an Avirex G-2 for fifteen years. Love it more all the time. Heavy, warm, enough pockets. People literally stop me on the street to compliment its age and wear. Hope to keep it another fifteen years.