1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on Walnut Allen Edmonds McAllister

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Superfluous, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

Barker Lanark or Cheaney Grosvenor.

What are those?

P.S., I'm posting on SF on a boat in the gulf of mexico. Do I win for best place to post on SF from?

2. sammy

sammy Senior member

I have the Cambridge, which is the McAllister with a double leather soul, in walnut. It's a great, versatile color. I wear it with jeans as well as odd trousers.

3. Hadrian

Hadrian Well-Known Member

4. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

Don't you own a few RLPL and RLBL suits? If so, you need to step up your shoe game from AE. Just saying.

They aren't bad, but your suits and shoe taste are in two different leagues.

5. Superfluous

What are seconds? I've heard the term a lot, but never understood. Second quality?

6. Superfluous

Don't you own a few RLPL and RLBL suits? If so, you need to step up your shoe game from AE. Just saying.

They aren't bad, but your suits and shoe taste are in two different leagues.

Yeah, but I like suits and sport coats much more than shoes, [​IMG]

7. tgt465

tgt465 Senior member

What are seconds? I've heard the term a lot, but never understood. Second quality?

Yes. Seconds are the shoes that did not pass quality checking for some reason.

8. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

I got these for $245 on sale at Amazon. I like these a lot.

9. nohio

nohio Senior member

To me the front wings come up too far towards the upper part of the shoe and make it look cramped. The proportions seem off. However, I do like the Strand very much and am thinking about getting a pair in walnut.

10. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Senior member

Two questions before I pull the trigger here:

1. AE mcallisters in walnut for 240. Is this a good deal or can I get them cheaper new?

2. This will be my second pair of shoes for my second suit. I already own a charcoal suit and black park aves. I am buyimg a navy suit soon and need a brown/tan pair. really like the walnut mcallisters but also have the option of brown strands. Can I make the walnut mcallisters work or are the brown strands safer?

11. meister

meister Senior member

I passed up bidding on a pair in 11E recently on eBay and they went for USD125...I'm spewing about it actually....

12. Superfluous

Bought em last night!

13. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

Bought em last night!

Very close to doing the same. When you get them, if you have a charcoal suit lying around could you let me know how they do together?

14. dasai

dasai Senior member

^ The return of style.guru?

I happen to like brogues, myself. But I think the walnut color suits a semi-brogue like the Strand a little better than the McAllister. On the other hand, I have Strands in walnut and like them a lot, so maybe it's just my personal preference talking. [​IMG]

(Incidentally, I think walnut looks great on a full-brogue when balanced out with white... which is why I'm also looking for spectators that match that description.)

15. Andrman

Andrman New Member

I've always loved the McAllisters especially in this color. What would one wear with them?

16. Newlaw

Newlaw Senior member

I think walnut is AE's best color by far.

17. Superfluous

I just ordered a matching belt, but do you guys usually buy a matching belt when you buy a new AE color?

18. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

I usually try and match my belt to my shoes as best I can. When I got my Walnut Strands, I didn't order a matching belt from AE with it, but I was able to find one on the B&S a couple weeks later.

19. Stylego

Stylego Senior member

Agreed. I too have a Strand in walnut and would go for this shoe in another color...

20. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I've always loved the McAllisters especially in this color. What would one wear with them?

Virtually anything. They would work with anything from jeans to an appropriately colored suit. Medium or light gray, any earthtone, and any blue but the darkest navies.